Need advise for mounting Fraen reflectors on PXR-19 heatsinks

bluecrow76

Enlightened
I'm on the verge of my first MAG mods. I have a C and a D PXR-19, plenty of hosts, 8 Cree Q5's, 8 Fraen (FRC-N1-XR79-0R) reflectors and some drivers. I'm just curious if anyone out there has used these reflectors on this heatsink. I would love to see some of the work that others have done with these parts.

Since the emitter sits in a groove two of the legs of the reflector need to be cut short. From what I've looked at, it appears that I need to trim two of the legs while the third should be able to stand on the lower portion of the heatsink.

The other thing I have to decide is which host to put the maxflex in... the C or D??? Decisions decisions!

Hopefully I'll finally start cutting into things and have it done in a week or so so I can post pics.

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
The bottom of the reflector fits snugly down around the metal ring on the LED. Unlike some of the Luxeon reflectors, it doesn't use the legs to get the right spacing. I've been using them on the flat Download heatsinks and the legs don't even touch the sink at all. So you should be able to just trim whatever you need to for clearance without worrying about trimming too much.

bluecrow76

Enlightened
That's good news DS! Do you epoxy/glue the reflectors at all, or do you find they are tight enough on their own?

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
They are plenty tight on their own. It takes a pretty firm push to get them seated over the metal ring.