Looking for flashlight...

sailoholic

Newly Enlightened
I was comparing the Fenix L2D Models and had a few questions...
  1. How does the L2D Rebel have have 35 less lumens but same runtime as the L2D Premium if they have the same LED emitter?
  2. Does the L2D Premium really have 40 more lumens with same output as L2D Cree? I have heard many people say that they are equally efficent.
  3. Are there any know flashlights in the same price range that outperform the L2D?
Any help would be gladly appreciated as i am leaving soon for a 1 week back country camping trip and needed a new flashlight (dropped old one off cliff).:oops:

Marduke

Flashaholic
Could you please clarify which versions of the L2D you are comparing? There are several emitters available:
Premium RB 100, 175 lumens on turbo
Premium Q5, 180 lumens on turbo
CE P4, 135 lumens on turbo

All 3 models are rated for 2.4 hours at this output.

Each uses a different emitter, hence the difference in output. Fenix uses current regulation, so the runtime will not change, just brightness due to higher or lower efficiencies.

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Here's my detailed review of the various Cree and Rebel Fenix 1AA lights:
Fenix Rebel vs Cree: L1D/L1T/P2D OUTPUT, RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS

The results should translate similarly to 2AA format. On Hi, my Rebel versions typically have roughly similar output to the Crees, but with longer runtimes. On Low, the Rebels have more output with lower runtime compared to the crees. There's clearly some minor differences in how the circuits deal with Rebel and Cree emitters, but it's not a huge deal.

The Premium Rebel heads have R100 emitters, so they produce more light than the R80 emitters. In my testing above, the R100 seems to be ~20% brighter overall compared to non-premium R80, exactly as you would expect. The difference between the R100 and R80 is how many lumens they produce at a given drive current (100 vs 80lumens at 350mA, in fact).

Frankly, I don't think you would go wrong with any of them. Pick whichever one matches your price point. I don't think anything beats the L2D/L2T series in 2AA format.

Oh, and :welcome:

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
As of now, the brightest L2D is the L2D-CE Q5 model. the cheapest is the L2D-CE(P4, implied).

Fenix rates LED lumens, the L2D-Q5 is probably 150+ lumen out the front on turbo(vs the about 122 lumen of the L2D-CE).

Also, there is a 8% off coupon at Fenix store, "CPF8".

:welcome: