Good choice for Crime Scence Tech??

MTHall51

Newly Enlightened
I am trying to move into the field of Crime Lab work, although I may have to do a fair amount of crime scene tech or investigation too.

Anyone here in these fields, or know someone who is, who could recommend a good choice for this type of application?

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't you watch CSI? They all use Surefires I think! :)

For forensics you will probably need a UV source of some kind, and hopefully that will be supplied. I would think a good multi-level light would be a good thing, and an LED would be desirable because of robustness and the constant color temperature - or at least more constant than incandescent. As a EMT I have found white LEDs to be less than ideal for color rendition when it comes to looking at damaged body parts and tissues (and that might just be my 50 year old eyes) and so use an incan penlight for that, but for scene investigation they might be just fine. They certainly work well for lighting up an accident scene. My Electrolumens TriStar Phaser gets a lot of work in that regard.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Do you just need light or a specific kind of light(like a specific range of UV)?

Because if you just need light, you have lots of choices.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd make a basic recommendation or two and then see what the standard is for the lab you work in.

That will give you an idea of the demands your job makes and the minimum level of gear deemed necessary - don't kid yourself, any government lab rarely ever goes beyond "minimum required."

Once you know the minimum standard, then decide if you want to go above and beyond and start looking at lights to fit those needs.

You may want to look at Arc's UV light as an emergency tool as well as any well-reviewed and reliable light in your budget. That's when you start making the hard choices we all do - costs to run, availability of batteries, performance, etc. ;D

-Medina

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, you definately need an incandescent flashlight for precise colour rendition. As mentioned earlier though, you need constant colour temperature. This is obviously aiming towards a regulated incandescent (can you see where I'm going guys???:thinking:). There has also been the mention of UV radiation to detect fluid residue. Now suppose you were to buy a Surefire A2 (there it is guys!!!:crackup:). The LED module is replaceable with an upgrade called the Aviatrix. If you send a PM to CPF member, Atomic_Chicken (designer of Aviatrix:grin2:), he may be able to build you a UV Aviatrix for your A2:poke:.

And there you have it! A complete Crime Scene Inspection lamp in one tidy package:party:!

djblank87

Enlightened
?? Surefire KROMA Mil Spec ??

Main beam - White LED, also has blue / red / UV / YG LEDs

+1 on the SF Kroma :thumbsup:

Also a straight blue LED light that is around $45.00 is one of the Invoas with five small Blue LED's. Great for following blood trails, small, fits in your pocket.

I would throw a link in here to the Inova but I'm at work and it will not let me :ohgeez:.

carrot

Flashaholic
Maybe if you outline what you are looking for in a light we can tell you what might best suit your needs. On CSI:Vegas they use Streamlight Stingers and Surefire M4's but I understand your needs are very likely different...

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
May I just ask why we are recommending flashlights from a FICTIONAL television series to an ACTUAL Crime Scene Tech?

May I re-iterate my choice, not based on some fictional TV show...

Surefire A2 Aviator, with a UV Aviatrix (assuming Atomic_Chicken will agree to make this one-off)

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast
You mean it's not real???? Say it ain't so! Next you're going to tell me that Bugs Bunny can't really talk.

The SF A2 sounds like a good idea, assuming the UV LEDs are a good wavelength for blood and other biologicals.

JohnB

Newly Enlightened
WOLF-EYES actually makes forensic kits.
kit-4.jpg
From the WE website

MTHall51

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for everyone's input. I would have responded sooner, but when I started this thread I forgot to check the box to tell me when there was a response so I just thought no one had answered yet.

I will check with the resident person here who was mentioned.

In the meantime, sounds like SF Kroma or SF A2 sound like popular choices.

Unfortunately, I have no clue what I need. At this point I am trying to get into the field of either Crime Scene Investigation or Crime Lab work, which are quite different.

Any ideas as to which of these two lights is brighter? Can either take rechargeable batts or just Lithiums?

bones_708

Enlightened
I realize we are all flashlight nuts but lets get real. Recommending a light that someone won't need for years and would have a much better idea by then what would work?:thinking:

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
?? Surefire KROMA Mil Spec ??

Main beam - White LED, also has blue / red / UV / YG LEDs
The MilSpec 5mm's are blue/red/IR/YG. There's no UV.

Back to the original question...

This site has some good info, and fast service.

I've done a little experimenting with UV LEDs. The new Arc AAA-UV is low power, but surprisingly effective. The McLuxII A19 w/Cree UV is impressive, but it's so bright it makes me question the effectiveness of my goggles. (I know I'm probably safe, but I can't put the light on high without wondering.) I'd be curious to check out one of the upcoming Aleph Mules with a UV Cree.

Last edited: