Lousy economy cutting into my flashlight budget

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glad I just got a few fun lights, like the Stinger, because yesterday I found out I would be laid off at the end of the month. Damn. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

In terms of necessities I'm in pretty good shape thanks to my lifemate, but it's sure going to cut into the flashlight budget. Seems a petty thing to gripe over given how much worse the situation could be, but what the hell, seems like this is an OK forum to gripe about petty things re: flashlights /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

So, are/have any of you been without income? How do you cope with a low or nonexistant hobby budget?
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I'm thinking making a list of what's drool-worthy instead of actually buying it. Kind of the Wayne's world thing with the guitar of "you'll be mine, oh yess, one day you'll be mine..." Not that I'd ever be that loyal to one light... And, of course, it's important to remember that, while a thrill to buy stuff, it's mostly that...not an essential source of lasting happiness, or "true slack" (c.f. http://www.subgenius.com ) Well, at least as long as you have things in your life that make you truly happy. If "false slack" is all you can get, well, it's better than nothing.

---

Then there's the standing offer I have (I know, lucky me!) from my parents to pay for an MSEE at NC State, or some courses in that direction.  Seems so wrong not to jump on that, but I so don't feel like going back to school....had more than enough stress getting the BS. I like reading, I like learning, and I hate tests. Didn't make college much fun. I like to focus on information, not be distracted/depressed by constant requirements to prove myself....which I always did well on, and always thought I'd do poorly (there's always the chance of failure).

A friend suggested "What Color is Your Parachute" (doesn't someone always), referring to "...his recommendations to (1) identify what things you really want to do with your life and career and then (2) determine which of your current options is more likely to get you there.  If none of your current options will get you there, you may need to develop some new options.  Not an easy process, but this is an important decision."

Well in this case, I don't think school or not would have a large effect on reaching or not reaching my life/career goal of an electronics job: preferably designing something related to consumer electronics, but as long as it involves electronics and a laboratory it should be OK.

A BSEE is enough, an MSEE would get more pay, and at some point might open more doors (but not on the job offers I've seen so far). Mostly, it would be something to do to "stay current" (and not bored!) while waiting for a crap economy to pick up.

Crappy enough that I have given some thought to what to do if the world (or USA, thru exporting the jobs) just doesn't need EEs any more...and that I have no sure answers for, but am not really thinking is a likely thing to happen. I worry a bit about it anyway... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

Here's a shocker /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon6.gif -- the Air Force and Navy are actively looking for EEs. However, that rather doesn't fit with my "life goals".

So, anyone know of any electronics jobs near Raleigh, NC?