TLE-1F vs. SMJLED2

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
well i have both, there are some differences between them.

I estimate the SMJLED (gen2) lumens at 15. Beampattern is a bit wider and less ringy than the TLE-1F. Appearence is much like the stock 2D bulb with color being white and an indefinite runtime.

On the other hand the TLE-1F has a more throwy pattern, and the estimated lumens are 35? (claimed are 50!!!)

Now for a ringy beam I would not count that much in such an application for a throw flashlight. Personally I would go for the SMJLED

enjoy, kostas

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found only one flashlight the TLE-1F focusses well in. Big donut hole in everything else that is not focussable. Brighter and with a much warmer tint than the SMJLED PR.
Both versions of the SMJLED (Lighthound and Sandwich Shoppe) focusses well in all my PR2 2 cell lights. The Lighthound ones are cool white. The Sandwich Shoppe one has a warmer tint.

You may also want to look at the Dorcy 1 WATT- 1.5-8V LED REPLACEMENT MODULE.

Superbrightleds is selling a clone of the TLE-1F at 1/2 the cost. (PR2-WHP 1 Watt Flashlight Bulb).

PR2-W1-WVR Flashlight Bulb from Superbrightleds also does not focus well but the front of the 10mm led focus light to fill in the donut hole so I get a dimmer center to the ring of light as opposed to the black hole from the TLE-1F. About as bright as the SMJLED PR overall but because of the much bigger hotspot does not throw. It is probably the least expensive of the useful upgrades. Stay away from the really cheap PR bulbs on that site. They are very dim and have awful beam patterns.

The SMJLED PR is the only one I've got that focus properlt in cheap platic lights. If you do get a bulb other than the SMJLED make sure your light has a faceted reflector. Even then the ringiness sometimes comes through.

Last edited:

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
well I will have to check again with my anglehead amd philips rubber molded cos I think it is alright with them....

be back soon, kostas

john2551

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, i checked those out. The results are:
SMJLED 2.4-3.0v range
TLE-1F 2-9v
PR2-WHP 2.8-12v
Dorcy 1.5-8v

I already have the SMJLED, it's ok, but like our Greek friend stated it's only about 15 lumens.
The PR2-WHP with a 2.8v minimum doesn't seem like it would work with two 1.2v nimh = 2.4v total
The Dorcy, i don't know if it's regulated???
The TLE-1F is regulated for constant brightness & is ~35 lumens.

I think i'll try the Terralux TLE-1F.
BTW, if you use these PR type LED bulbs in generic 2AA lights vs. generic C or D with big heads you solve the problem with the donut holes & the rings.

Last edited:

john2551

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kostas,

Great! Thanks! I thought that the TLE-1F would be brighter because they "claimed" it has 50 lumens, oh well. But it's much better than the lousy Nite-Ize PR bulb!

John

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
hmm I was a bit ssuprised with teh beamshots on the TLE-1F.

Previous experience shows it SI brighter....And throws further. So maybe the close shots did no credit to it.... But it is hard to me to make outdoor shots...

One should keep an open mind on it....

BTW claimed terralux lumnes are highly overestimated. Experience with TLE-5 and TLE-10. one should better expect 35-40 lumens minus the 1/3 real life loss....

stay well, kostas

john2551

Flashlight Enthusiast
The hot spot does look more intense now that i look at the TLE-1F pics again. I guess it depends a lot on the light you put it in.