Cree L1 need a diffuser?

NickR

Newly Enlightened
Does the Cree L1 from surefire need a diffuser? I have the previous version L1 and it benefited a lot from a diffuser.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
This version does have very useful sidespill and a generous spot. Only if you want a flood light it will need a diffusor. It has one of the most useful beams out there ... the TIR does a great great job. This little light has some medium range ground covery that rivals a SF U2.
On a white wall the beam is far from perfect though. Before being disappointed ... use it outside. (In the dark, that is :D )
bernie

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I am not mistaken, both use the same F04, I would get it as it makes the beam more even....its not that expensive also..

light_emitting_dude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just ordered the F04 diffusor. Should work on all 1 inch bezels. (Works great on mini-mags also). Should work better for up close applications.

Siskik

Newly Enlightened
This version does have very useful sidespill and a generous spot. Only if you want a flood light it will need a diffusor. It has one of the most useful beams out there ... the TIR does a great great job. This little light has some medium range ground covery that rivals a SF U2.

Bernie,
What do you mean by "medium range ground covery''? Do you mean the side spill?

Thanks,
John

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
YMMV depending on your needs, but I wouldn't think that most users would need a diffuser for the new Cree L1. It has a lot more spill than the earlier TIR version. For close work, you might want the diffuser.

Enlightened
I agree completely, versus the old L1 the new one has a lot more "flood" to it. Still not huge, but definitly more than useable IMO. It does a decent job lighting up a trail or path which in itself is a huge improvement over the old one, and it has pleanty of hotspot to boot. I really like this light.

NickR

Newly Enlightened
What do you guys think, should I pick up the Cree E2L or an L1?

Technically, the purchase would be to replace an old E2e incan. I like the E2e for throw and how it can light stuff up even when it isn't directly in front of me like when I have to check under my car or repair a flat tire. The old L1 does have awesome throw but it doesn't light up the target as much as the E2e. However, my E2e seems too bright for lots of activities like going into the basement to putz with hot water heater, or trying to read address numbers on a mailbox without drawing too much attention.

Any advice?

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Bernie,
What do you mean by "medium range ground covery''? Do you mean the side spill?

Thanks,
John

Sorry for the poor choice of words. With "ground covery" I meant "field of vision". For everything beyond near field illumination the L1 relies on the spot only, the spill is not that far reaching. But the spot does a terrific job of being just the right compromise of size and distance in relation to its power.
bernie

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
However, my E2e seems too bright for lots of activities like going into the basement to putz with hot water heater, or trying to read address numbers on a mailbox without drawing too much attention.

Any advice?

Go witht the L1. When you need them, and it sounds like you do, multiple levels are very nice. Plus, you already have experience with the L1.

ja10

Enlightened
I found two main uses for my FO4 and L1. The first is reading at night. Any light will let you pick up words on a page, but I find it hard to read a book with my eyes adjusting between the hotspot and spill. That might just be because of my bad eyes though.

I also use it while working on my car at night. With that much rubber on the head, I can set it just about anywhere in the engine bay and it'll stay put.

For $10, I think it's worth having around.

light_emitting_dude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got my F04 diffusor today and like it! It really makes the beam floddy in the E1L and L1 (cree) kinda like the L4. And makes the L4 beam really floody!