Kind of Depressed

hivoltage

Enlightened
Ever since I bought mu McLux Ti PD-s, and my Novatac 120P, and my AE 24 Watt Xenide HID, I have no reason to look for another light:sigh:

Is there anything new and exciting coming out to get me excited, or is my search for the perfect lights over?

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Copied from the Olight sight. Kind of exciting I think. Don't worry there is plenty to keep you from being depressed!

Seoul Semiconductor has announced that its R&D team has achieved a single LED with brightness of 400 lumens. This is much brighter than conventional single LED emitting around 100 lumens maximum. This high performance LED, as a next-generation lighting source, is also claimed to be the brightest LED at the level of 8W in the industry.
The single package product emits up to 420 lumens at 600mA maximum and 350 lumens on average. The size is ultra-slim, similar to that of single LED packages emitting 100 lumens. This high power package provides more freedom in design applications and lowers the price of the applications.
This product can be used for the universal applications such as general residential lighting, automotive headlights, architectural lighting, headlight for tasks, streetlighting, torch lighting, camping lights, and signage lighting. The product is expected to commercialize by the fourth quarter of 2007.

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
According to flashlightreviews.com, the AE powerlight puts out less lumens than a SureFire Dominator 10X. That would put it at about 450-490 lumens. There is much room for improvement at this end....

Consider a custom Maglite modification. In a 2D Mag, you can build a 700 lumen (out the front) monster. Runtime is 15 minutes at that sort of output, but it is useful to have.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could start modding and build Your own light

f.e. a led 6P with a Flupic, w. good heatsinking, running from an 18650

and then, when You can do this, try it on an Inova T1

;)

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm waiting eagerly for obvious improvements we should see soon.

The finger-ring floodlight (a LED the size of a diamond chip with a battery the size of a baby aspirin, and bright enough to get around).

The brass-knuckle multiple-LED version of the same.

Eyeglass frames that include solar cells built into the plastic and LED lights.
Blink-controlled. Might as well run the built in cell phone and ham radio off them too (grin).

BrighterSmile LED tooth implants.

Cheer up. It's sure better than waiting for the new improved crossbred mule and the next version of the steel plow to come along in a decade or two, eh?

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ever since I bought mu McLux Ti PD-s, and my Novatac 120P, and my AE 24 Watt Xenide HID, I have no reason to look for another light:sigh:

Is there anything new and exciting coming out to get me excited, or is my search for the perfect lights over?

Since you have no decent headlamps in your sig line it is time to get one:nana:

Zebralight, Apex with a Seoul, Stenlight (2 Seouls) or something from Lupine if you want to go overboard:poke:

If you don't need one start caving, night skiing or other nice hobbies to justify getting one...:devil:

souptree

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you don't need one start caving, night skiing or other nice hobbies to justify getting one...:devil:

Or, if you are the type of person who NEVER leaves the city, you can get a pair of roller skates and just go to town blinding tourists on a Saturday night! :whistle:

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
Or, if you are the type of person who NEVER leaves the city, you can get a pair of roller skates and just go to town blinding tourists on a Saturday night! :whistle:

:twothumbs

Any reason is good enough it seems:thumbsup:

Gaffle

Enlightened
Hivoltage, don't under estimate the CPF crowd. People will do hours of research just to make you spend more money!!:laughing:

jeffb

Flashlight Enthusiast
TnC has some nice offerings, that I will review.........installed Cree flupic in a 27mm head 18650 body (other heads and bodies could be used) and the result is a very neat flood (mule) light, not Ti.

Also have new C flex TnC bodies and am awaiting batteries.

jeffb

Last edited:

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could also go another route. Your lights are cooler than mine, but after finding the best EDC light I have ever had...P3DR100, and the brightest LED I have ever had...TiabloA8Q5... I bought a light that really made me smile.

A little $12 Energizer Hardcase 2xAA light with 3x5mm leds. Little, cheap, less output by far than most of my led lights, but I smile everytime I use it or (purposely) accidentilly drop it.

Buy something different...a Streamlight sidewinder or such...just to muck around with...sometimes the lights that are the most fun are the ones that if they were alive, would not take them selves so seriously.

I also have a light with a compass, radio, and a siren from a 7-11 that I am quite fond of:)

HaPPI

Newly Enlightened
...or is my search for the perfect lights over?

Perfect lights at what price point? I'm exploring in the budget category. Bargain hunting is my kind of fun. What is the best EDC in the under $10 category? Under $5? Under $2? My EDC for the last 2-3 months is under $7, about 65x21mm (so its obviously CR123 and twisty, not clicky) and very bright. With a lithium battery it's quite remarkable. It's a smidge heavier than it needs to be because its a little chunky. But I'm not gonna tell ya what it is, you have to find it. If you find it and get one I think you'll be impressed, then post it and tell us what you find. You might just tote 2 EDCs!

HaPPI

----------------------------------------------
Past a certain age, time flies whether you're having fun or not.
Life is good, but sometimes I prefer Rice Chex.

Last edited:

Vikas Sontakke

Enlightened
...or is my search for the perfect lights over?

Perfect lights at what price point? I'm exploring in the budget category. Bargain hunting is my kind of fun. What is the best EDC in the under $10 category? Under $5? Under $2? My EDC for the last 2-3 months is under $7, about 65x21mm (so its obviously CR123 and twisty, not clicky) and very bright. With a lithium battery it's quite remarkable. It's a smidge heavier than it needs to be because its a little chunky. But I'm not gonna tell ya what it is, you have to find it. If you find it and get one I think you'll be impressed, then post it and tell us what you find. You might just tote 2 EDCs!

Mine costed $12, measures 68x20 mm, does not rattle when off, and is insanely bright, even stomps the 6V Lithium Inova 5.6W. It is my favourite light but I wish it had a low mode and glass window and Al orange peel reflector but then it will no longer be $12 light and it will be bigger than 68mm (2.6in)

Where would I purchase your $7 bargain?

- Vikas

KenAnderson

Enlightened

I hate to say this but you've pretty much hit the top here. Now get out there and use em. I find I get much more enjoyment using than finding.

Ken

Lexus

Enlightened

hivoltage, I went through this several times. I was like: "I have some of the best lights, there is nothing to look forward to."
Yes, you can get over sated with all this bright stuff. It always helped me to concentrate on my other hobbies for a while. When you then return to the bright side, maybe something new has shown up, which sparks your interest.