Coast V2 Dual Color Light ?

gothed

Newly Enlightened
http://www.coastcutlery.com/display...72%A1273%A1274%A1275%A1261%A1262%BF&mastCat=5

I am considering buying either one of those lights up there. I really like the dual color feature, since the red light preserves night vision. It would also be perfect if I just need to go through my backpack and dont want to ruin my night vision by turning on a bright light.

what do you think of this light? it costs 30 bucks at lowes, is there another one that I should consider at this price range?

thanks

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I own the Recon model. (1 red, 1 blue, 1 green, 3 white LEDs).

Used to own the Dual chip model (1 red, 5 White LEDs). Gave that one away. Coast is over-priced. The checkering is a joke. The lights are actually pretty slick (In a literal sense). Worth about half what they retail for. Zero water resistence.

I'm never buying Coast again.

You'd be better off carrying two lights. One white LED, and a keychain-sized red one.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
If you are willing to bump the price up $20, you could get a light, the VB-16, that is both brighter(much brighter and more throw) and probably dim enough with more runtime. The only down side is size. The light is 0.75 inches longer and .38 inches wider then the Minimag. Larger then the Coast.

I'd say buy the VB-16 Kit and 2 18650 protected(more runtime, the light also only need one of these at a time) or at least 2 RCR123 protected batteries(cheaper and a more light on the higher light levels), the batteries that come in the kit aren't that good.

Thread about the VB-16

I would spend $20 more for this light then buy the Coast.

At $30, well you could buy a bright AA Seoul/Cree/Rebel light and a dimmer 5mm LED light. Like the WF-606(power) with this 8 5mm LED light(dim). The 8 LED light is not that water proof.

:welcome:

Last edited:

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought the V2 LED lenser, along with several other LED lights from Coast a couple years ago. My overall impression with the Coast LED lights was excellent packaging and marketing, but lousy reliability.

OTOH.... I was really excited about the combo GREEEN/white LED V2.
It takes 3 AAAs in a battery tray. It can run with either color or both.
My first one went bad so I called Coast and they were very kind, sincere and helpful sending me a replacement:twothumbs.

While most of my other LED lights that follwed were MUCH brighter etc, I did like the novelty aspect of the V2. I didn't really use it much although it sat on my desk. during a recent move it was "packed deeply into storage" and has not been seen since.:mecry: I did like it alot, although it is certianly surpassed by many other lights now, I have missed it greatly............ so last week I went back to qualityitemsonline.com and ordered another for about $40 shipped. :huh:
I know I could get another PROPOLY, or a FENIX in that price range that outperforms the V2, but I liked that "nostalgic pre Luxeon, nichia?" 2 color glow. I am looking forward to my "second" experience with a GREEN/white LED LENSER V2.

gothed

Newly Enlightened
I own the Recon model. (1 red, 1 blue, 1 green, 3 white LEDs).

Used to own the Dual chip model (1 red, 5 White LEDs). Gave that one away. Coast is over-priced. The checkering is a joke. The lights are actually pretty slick (In a literal sense). Worth about half what they retail for. Zero water resistence.

I'm never buying Coast again.

You'd be better off carrying two lights. One white LED, and a keychain-sized red one.

you have successfully bashed coast, but you havn't given me an alternative.

gothed

Newly Enlightened
If you are willing to bump the price up $20, you could get a light, the VB-16, that is both brighter(much brighter and more throw) and probably dim enough with more runtime. The only down side is size. The light is 0.75 inches longer and .38 inches wider then the Minimag. Larger then the Coast.

I'd say buy the VB-16 Kit and 2 18650 protected(more runtime, the light also only need one of these at a time) or at least 2 RCR123 protected batteries(cheaper and a more light on the higher light levels), the batteries that come in the kit aren't that good.

Thread about the VB-16

I would spend $20 more for this light then buy the Coast.

At $30, well you could buy a bright AA Seoul/Cree/Rebel light and a dimmer 5mm LED light. Like the WF-606(power) with this 8 5mm LED light(dim). The 8 LED light is not that water proof.

:welcome:

The WF-606 is too big, I really want something compact that fits into my pocket.. I also don't like the idea of needing special batteries :(

thanks though

gothed

Newly Enlightened
I bought the V2 LED lenser, along with several other LED lights from Coast a couple years ago. My overall impression with the Coast LED lights was excellent packaging and marketing, but lousy reliability.

OTOH.... I was really excited about the combo GREEEN/white LED V2.
It takes 3 AAAs in a battery tray. It can run with either color or both.
My first one went bad so I called Coast and they were very kind, sincere and helpful sending me a replacement:twothumbs.

While most of my other LED lights that follwed were MUCH brighter etc, I did like the novelty aspect of the V2. I didn't really use it much although it sat on my desk. during a recent move it was "packed deeply into storage" and has not been seen since.:mecry: I did like it alot, although it is certianly surpassed by many other lights now, I have missed it greatly............ so last week I went back to qualityitemsonline.com and ordered another for about $40 shipped. :huh:
I know I could get another PROPOLY, or a FENIX in that price range that outperforms the V2, but I liked that "nostalgic pre Luxeon, nichia?" 2 color glow. I am looking forward to my "second" experience with a GREEN/white LED LENSER V2.

thanks this really helped.

BTW. im not looking for a far throw light, I want to be able to navigate when the lights go out in my house, I don't necessarily want to light up a dear 100 yards away. And most importantly a LED light has to last 100+ hours of continuous on.

thanks so far, if there are other alternatives in this size, that have at least different brightness levels, please inform me of those. I think this light is bright enough for what I want and I think a 3 watt luxeon would be overpowered.

thanks

Kiessling

Flashaholic
I had the same thing with 4 colors. It is a typical LedLenser (Coast just puts their name on LedLenser products) and worked pretty well until I gave it to some child.

The problem with this generation of LedLensers is indeed water resistance (the absence thereof) and the lack of regulation.

The newer models are way better I heard.

If you want that light to use it as a light I'd get something else. Those are not really good lights. Neat, but not good for serious tasks.

bernie

Monocrom

Flashaholic
you have successfully bashed coast, but you havn't given me an alternative.

Hmm.... So you consider it to be bashing if, after having asked for opinions, you get an honest reply. A reply based on personal experience.

True, I didn't provide alternatives. But at least now, you know what to expect from Coast if you decide to buy the brand anyway.

I would recommend an alternative. But since you feel I was bashing, when I shared my opinion based on personal experience; I wouldn't want to be accused of blind, brand loyalty if I shared my opinion again.

Dantor

Enlightened
I got the 4 light recon tac from blade west recently and I like it. I've had their head light for years and used it at work a lot (indoors) and it did the job really well, lasted long and was bright enough. I like em.

gothed

Newly Enlightened
Hmm.... So you consider it to be bashing if, after having asked for opinions, you get an honest reply. A reply based on personal experience.

True, I didn't provide alternatives. But at least now, you know what to expect from Coast if you decide to buy the brand anyway.

I would recommend an alternative. But since you feel I was bashing, when I shared my opinion based on personal experience; I wouldn't want to be accused of blind, brand loyalty if I shared my opinion again.

im sorry if that came across wrong, I was simply trying to state that you have communicated your negative experience to me without providing an alternative. please excuse my misuse of the word bashing.

thanks

Pistolero

Enlightened
Isn't there a Streamlight Twintask in a similar two light config? I'm not sure if it's in the same size/pricerange tho.

I've got the Older Coast Led Lenser, the one with the larger head, in the Red/White config. It's probably the light I use the most at night. I bought some duracell rechargies and use it for the nighttime trips to bathroom or to check on my daughter. My biggest grip (aside from size) is that the buttons are near indistinguishable in the dark. The White Light button has a slight texturing to it, but it's really easy to mistake one for the other. I wish it were a little cheaper, but it's just durable enough to get the job done. I don't plan on any spelunking or water hijinks with it tho.

The only other thing I can think of is an Inova X5 in Red. But you're at $30 dollars with that thing. and a large size

Maybe a NiteIze drop in?
http://www.batteryjunction.com/aamimaledupk1.html

Streamlight Keymate? (No red color tho)
http://www.pocketlights.com/keymate.asp

Photon in Red? (Clipped to a Photon in white?) I dig the variable intensity of it.
http://www.batteryjunction.com/phfrmipesafl.html

Photon Proton?
http://www.batteryjunction.com/proton.html

Gerber Infinity Ultra?
http://www.pocketlights.com/infinity_ultra.asp

Pistolero

Enlightened
Oh hey, I forgot about this.
http://www.energizer.com/products/flashlights/flashlight.asp?cat=4&id=3

$10 Energizer headlamp.
3AAA
2White LED/ 1 Red LED

Best cheap headlamp I've seen.
I need to get another one, I gave mine to my bro. (OIF Deployed)

Also, I think Walmart had a cheap garrity light for $12 that used filter caps (red/blue) and ran on 3AAA. Truthfully, it's a piece of crap, but it's a pretty good lowlight flashlight.

And then the MolleLight.
http://www.countycomm.com/MOLLELIGHT.htm

OH Hey, here's the Coast one I have.
http://www.coastcutlery.com/display...25%A1226%A1227%A1188%A1189%A1187%BF&mastCat=5

Monocrom

Flashaholic
im sorry if that came across wrong, I was simply trying to state that you have communicated your negative experience to me without providing an alternative. please excuse my misuse of the word bashing.

thanks

I'm sorry as well. Over the past several days, I have had supervisors and managers at work either lie about me or to me. Unfortunately, I saw your other post only minutes after one of them lied to my face. I wasn't in a good mood, and reacted poorly. Not using that to excuse my behavior, but that is in fact what happened.

I'm still at work. Will post some alternatives to the Coast model when I get home in a few hours. (The connection here is slow and sometimes problematic).

Gunner12

Flashaholic
..And most importantly a LED light has to last 100+ hours of continuous on...
Those light will run over 100 hours, but it will have no use to you. The LEDs will be barely glowing.

Me, I would suggest two lights. One for close range/dim lighting and one for a more powerful light because most multilevel lights under $30 won't have a good low mode. Maybe the MTE Seoul(for power) and a 10 pack of the 5 MM LED lights(maybe take out one CR2016 battery and replace the white LED with a Red/Yellow LED) for low light.

The Zebralight also fits you uses with a low low and a powerful high(for pure flood light that runs on a AA battery) but the light is over your price range.

gothed

Newly Enlightened
alright, thanks guys, the more im looking at the lights out there the less excited I become about getting a new light

I have looked at all the suggestions so far, but havn't found anything :shakehead

Is there anything the the 30 USD price range that has:

1. Regulated output, in other words 100% output or none.
2. Standard cells.
3. No bigger then mini mag.
4. Different output levels.

thanks

Last edited:

saildude

Newly Enlightened
UK - Underwater Kinetics can get you to Red - a bit convoluted - BUT if you get the 2AAA INCAN. ( not the LED ) and they make a Red LED lamp assembly that replaces the Incan. bulb assembly - Twist on / off - common batteries and waterproof - plastic rugged and fits in the pocket - hold in your teeth easily and seems to be a good run time - I have one that I have put on a neck lanyard and I keep it with me when on a boat at night ( use the light for chart reading and finding that unmarked switch )

mb

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Like the MTE Rebel 100 5 mode, MTE C3, Ultrafire C3 5 mode or the MTE C2 Seoul?

The low mode is not really that low. the MTE C2 might have a Low low, but as of right now no one knows since no one has received the light yet. The MTE Rebel 100 has a good low when you use a used AA battery(0.9v), but high will be around the low when you use a fresh AA battery. I'm not sure about the Ultrafire C3 5 mode. The MTE C2 is basically a Seoul version of the MTE Rebel 100.

gothed

Newly Enlightened
Like the MTE Rebel 100 5 mode, MTE C3, Ultrafire C3 5 mode or the MTE C2 Seoul?

The low mode is not really that low. the MTE C2 might have a Low low, but as of right now no one knows since no one has received the light yet. The MTE Rebel 100 has a good low when you use a used AA battery(0.9v), but high will be around the low when you use a fresh AA battery. I'm not sure about the Ultrafire C3 5 mode. The MTE C2 is basically a Seoul version of the MTE Rebel 100.

let me suggest one :eek: http://www.inovalight.com/bolt.html

rebel seems to get bad reviews, and not quite my taste. Keep in mind I don't need a flashlight, I WANT one, so it has to be nice.

MTE C3 seems possible, but I have no data on it, how do you cicle through the modes? and a runtime plot?

Ultrafire C3, same thing, no information.

the MTE C2 seems to get really bad reviews.

Let me update my search reqs.

alright, thanks guys, the more im looking at the lights out there the less excited I become about getting a new light

I have looked at all the suggestions so far, but havn't found anything :shakehead

Is there anything the the 30 USD price range that has:

1. Regulated output, in other words 100% output or none.
2. Standard cells.
3. No bigger then mini mag.

The number one point however is very important to me, I feel as though that should be standard now.

I saw a review of the inova T2 light on flashlightreviews.com and it had a very nice runtime plot (this being very important to me), thats why I decided to checkout inova, and I asume that this bolt light will have the same good runtime plot: 100% and then death. For 30 bucks I see that this would be better then the coast. but no red light build in :(

Latest posts