Which one better for LEO

heztai

Newly Enlightened
I am deciding between the wolf eyes guider and Tiablo A9 Q5...which one is more suitable for law enforcement purpose?

Thanks.

TOOCOOL

Enlightened
Wolf Eyes Guider its rechargeable without taking out the batteries and it will light up a larger area. Tiablo will be harder to carry in a pouch but has an amazing throw..............Aww just get both :twothumbs

Gunner12

Flashaholic
If you could only get one, maybe the Guider would be better. But if most of the time you need throw, the Tiablo(or the Dereelight DBS 3 Mode Q5 module) might be better.

It depends on what you most commonly use the light for.

heztai

Newly Enlightened
Most of the time... traffic stops, searching of cars, search and rescue, searching of evidences, road side traffic stops...

BombTec

Newly Enlightened
My personal opinion....

Having been in law enforcement for the past ten years, and having used quite a few different duty lights, I would say it depends on what you need the light to do.

If your talking about a duty light for full time night shift use, I would stay away from LED all together. Go pick up a good incan. My reasoning behind this is simple, LED still can't offer a full spectrum of light. This full spectrum is what your eyes have been used to seeing your entire life, not LED.

Try this, take two good lights, one LED and one incan, bring them outside at night and find a bush or a shrub about fifteen feet away. Using just a single, quick flash, shine the LED at the bush. Could you readily make out the different colors in the bush? How about making out an outline of something behind the bush? Now try the incan... see any difference?

For me, this test sealed the deal. In a nutshell, we depend on our eyes, and thus our lights, to keep us safe (and alive). If using an LED caused me even a little bit of a pause to make out what was in someone's hand, or see someone hiding, that lost time could prove tragic.

So anyway, for duty use, stay incan...for general use, LED is fine (and I would try the wolf eyes, love mine...)

Good luck, brother,,,,,,stay safe...

heztai

Newly Enlightened
So which one do you have or using? And what else do you suggest?

Thanks!

My personal opinion....

Having been in law enforcement for the past ten years, and having used quite a few different duty lights, I would say it depends on what you need the light to do.

If your talking about a duty light for full time night shift use, I would stay away from LED all together. Go pick up a good incan. My reasoning behind this is simple, LED still can't offer a full spectrum of light. This full spectrum is what your eyes have been used to seeing your entire life, not LED.

Try this, take two good lights, one LED and one incan, bring them outside at night and find a bush or a shrub about fifteen feet away. Using just a single, quick flash, shine the LED at the bush. Could you readily make out the different colors in the bush? How about making out an outline of something behind the bush? Now try the incan... see any difference?

For me, this test sealed the deal. In a nutshell, we depend on our eyes, and thus our lights, to keep us safe (and alive). If using an LED caused me even a little bit of a pause to make out what was in someone's hand, or see someone hiding, that lost time could prove tragic.

So anyway, for duty use, stay incan...for general use, LED is fine (and I would try the wolf eyes, love mine...)

Good luck, brother,,,,,,stay safe...

john2551

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whether you go incan or LED, for patrol duty, an insitu AC/DC charging system is best. Meaning that the light charges in a cradle or a plug without having to remove the batteries. This way the light will charge up while driving around/DC or you can charge it up at home/AC.
A dual switch system (rear tactical & side clickie) is also another important advantage in case one switch fails in a life or death situation.

BombTec

Newly Enlightened
Unfortunately a dual switch light will somewhat limit your choices, A/C and D/C charging would be nice, but then again, limited in choices (at least in what I have seen).... and your only on a shift for maybe 12 hours at a time. I haven't had the need for multiple charging sessions, but others may have.

Personally I use a Wolf-Eyes 6MX on my duty belt. It has the 3.7 volt 100 lumen bulb, and is loaded with a single, protected 18650. I carry spare 18650s in my bag.

My second light is a 2c ROP that uses 18650s. I use this more for searching large, open areas and holding perimeters. It's a bit too bright for up close work like searching rooms or cars.

Both my lights use the same, interchangeable batteries, and I can easily carry spares and swap them back and forth.

Hey, it works well for me, but I'm sure it's not for everyone. Try to take the time and experiment with different types of lights, see what works best for you...

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you get a Surefire, Wolf Eyes or similiar that will take drop-in lamps then you can changeover from Cree to Incandescent lamps anytime.

Grun

Newly Enlightened
I have an 6MX. Great light.

Just so you know, Wolf Eyes can only take Wolf Eyes dropins.

I concur with the reasoning for incandescents mentioned above.
It could save your life. Carry a spare bulb and spare batteries, as well as primaries CR123As. A SureFire carrier would be good for that.

heztai

Newly Enlightened
The guider comes with a AC charger...whats the difference? AC or DC?

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
The AC charger you plug into an AC outlet in your home or at work.

The DC charger plugs into the cigarette lighter in your vehicle. It also plugs into a portable 12v portable power generator.

heztai

Newly Enlightened
i see...any other suggestions in terms of choices for the lights?

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
It depends upon whether or not you plan to carry it on your belt or as a larger vehicle/handheld general purpose light.

For vehicle/handheld general purpose which will be used fairly often daily I'd recommend the mainstay rechargeable lights...
Streamlight SL-20X
MagCharger
Streamlight Stinger
and there are some others.

For belt carried lights you have many choices in both incan and LED formats. Pick one you like. I like one that you can use rechargeables and regular batteries with.