Vocabulary

Gerhard

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I feel really "unenlightened" when reading through some of the threads here due to my lack of knowledge of some words. I came across a bunch of terms i wasn't able to find definate definitions to anywhere :shrug::

Wall of Light
Throw
Flood
and similar words relating to the shapes of the beams.

I know what most of the technical terms mean, but it's the little words that are giving me the hardest time.

Could you help me understand what these terms mean?

Thanks!

djblank87

Enlightened
:welcome:

1. Flood is when you shine the light at a target being wall, human or whatever. You will notice that there is a large bright spot also known as the "HOTSPOT" the light that is on the side of the hotspot which is in a circle is the "Flood" of the light.

2. Throw is how far the light will reach out and touch someone so to speak. If you go to a football field in total darkness and stand at one end and shine the light, the thorw is how far the light goes and you can steal see the target.

3. Wall of light is really just that. If you were holding the Surefire L4 and shine it at someone the will not see any part of your body behind the light i.e. Wall of light. If you take some lights and do the same thing the person your are pointing it at will still see some part of your body like the feet and arms, finger and so on. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzCGFHDt48g

Good throw lights Tiablo, Ultrastinger, Deerlight, Surefire, Pelican 7060 my modded TL11 pretty much all companies have a few good throw monsters.

Wall of light products are almost always mentioned when we refer to Surefire products.

If you want to know anything else feel free to ask. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

djblank87

Enlightened
How do I stop obsessing about flashlights?! ;)

:crackup::crackup:

That is the million dollar question? Easy way I do it is when I see a light I want I sit on it for a few days and really think about what I need this light for?

There is to me a difference in owning the latest and greatest and owning something that will get used everday or weekly.

I use all of my flashlights, my Tigerlight, Pelican 7060 and NovaTac 120P are what I use for work, also there is a SF A2 green LED's sitting in my locker.

At home I have numerous lights that get used for camping, hikes or EDC when I'm not at work. All in all my opinion it to get the newest/oldest or best light for reasons that you would need a light. Shelf-Queens are nice to have if you have the money, but use your lights I'm sure they want to play :poke:.

But the common cure to solve a light addiction around here is by getting a Surefire A2, then a NovaTac, then a Tiablo, then anything from Surefire, then a few Fenix products, then some more Surefires, then a Deerelight, then a Sam Club HID, then some more Surefires, then a few Streamlights, then a Mag85, then a few Jetbeams, then some more Surefires, then a couple Arc's, then a Gladius, then some more Surefires, then to top it off get a Maxabeam! :twothumbs

Take this dose monthly and then repeat once the bottle or in this case your bank account is empty. :wave:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Actually, when I came here, the light around the spot was refered to as spill, not flood. Flood is more referred to a very wide hotspot, or a light with essentially no hotspot, like the Zebralight or the Mule.

Wall of Light is a floody but not too floody light with a powerful hotspot like the Surefire L4. If you put the hotspot on the person, the hotspot will light up the whole person, not just the head or the body.

Throw is how far a light projects a beam. So a Dereelight DBS has lots of throw but the Mule light has very little throw.

Also look at the Welcome Mat for a few other terms.

Latest posts