LumaPower LM301 - Dropped but not dead

roberttheiii

Newly Enlightened
So last night I dropped my LumaPower LM301 on the sidewalk, picked it up, clicked the tail cap, nothing happened. Boo. I took off the tail cap and used my keys to bridge the battery and the body and the head lit up dimly. At this point I was bummed the electronics weren't potted thinking something in the regulation circuitry was broken. When I got home application of something better to connect the battery revealed the engine was fine. The problem was in the tail switch. I hoped perhaps a piece of solder had broken or something easily addressable and repairable. I disassembled the tail cap and saw no such damage. I bent out the contact points on the switch and reinstalled it, it worked perfectly. Apparently dropping the light took the switch out of contact with the body. The light is working happily again. I really can't blame this on LumaPower in any way because I was the last person to disassemble the tail cap when I installed the GID rubber clickie cover.

Moral of the story, if you drop your LM301 and it stops working it may just be the tail cap contacts.

In my defense, I did have an E2E, an arc-aaa p, a white clone photon II, and a red photon freedom with covert nose on my person/in my bag with me at the time of temporary failure so I was covered.

Last edited: