The Surefire Titan.....outdated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shagbd

Newly Enlightened
Is the SF Titan already outdated?
Its an interesting thought.... I mean i love surefires.... I EDC a E2D NRA edition with a Lumens Factory 150 lumen bulb in it all the time and prefer it over many of my LED lights with higher output....
however in this day and age were we have Fenixes coming out with 180 lumens off one cr123..... and the upcoming Jetbeam with 210 lumens off one cr123......... it seems the Titan's 80 lumens LITERALLY pale incomparison...
The fact that its $400 doesnt help......

so whats the deal there?

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its $500 and it might be if it ever shows up. Don't know what the deal is, neither does anybody else.

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is the SF Titan already outdated?
Its an interesting thought.... I mean i love surefires.... I EDC a E2D NRA edition with a Lumens Factory 150 lumen bulb in it all the time and prefer it over many of my LED lights with higher output....
however in this day and age were we have Fenixes coming out with 180 lumens off one cr123..... and the upcoming Jetbeam with 210 lumens off one cr123......... it seems the Titan's 80 lumens LITERALLY pale incomparison...
The fact that its $400 doesnt help......

so whats the deal there?

the lumen figures are not always outfront of the bezel, some times they are bulb lumens / LED manufacturer stated lumens.

Surefire usually states Lumens outfront.... so 80 lumens may seem low, but if you consider it being a CR2 based flashlight, the LED lumens may be 120 or so.... there are losses due to temprature, reflector, LED LENS and Flashlight LENS....

Shagbd

Newly Enlightened
Oh really?
so surefire always understates their lumens? whereas im assuming most othre companies.... Fenix etc are referring to LED lumens?

DM51

Flashaholic
Surefire gives its lumens figures based on the light out front over the total life of a set of cells, so it takes fading cells into account as they run down and the light dims.

A few other manufacturers (HDS, Pelican, Zebralight) give a torch lumens figure. This is the max light you get out of the front of the light on fresh cells.

All others give a bulb lumens figure. This is the light emitted by the LED or bulb, ~1/3 of which is lost and never makes it out of the front of the light.

Very roughly, 80 SF lm = 100 torch lm = 150 bulb lm.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
The guy who is buying a $500 pocketlight like the Titan probably doesn't care that the $50 Fenix (etc) is brighter..

LED61

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually Surefire advertises 65 lumens max output for the Titan. The average lumen output really only applies to incandescent lights, as their LED lights are all regulated. So, I´d say the LED lumens for the Titan are in the order of 100.

But, brightness in a small package is apparently not what the Titan is about. It´s more like a personal jewel, one that has many a CPF´r in a huge waiting list.

DM51

Flashaholic
Good point about the regulation, but they list the A2 at only 50 lm, and it seems as bright as some 100+ lm lights, if not brighter. But the A2 is an incan, so that comparison is probably not a useful one.

supes

Enlightened
Dude, The Titan isn't even out yet?! How can you say a light is out of date when the final version isn't released yet?! Absolute absurdity.

And the last thing I would rely on is the other brands(esp.Fenix, Jetbeam,etc) on lumen specs...

The deal is wait for the light to at least be out in the market before comparison. Can we be fair?

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Fenix is impressive, at 180 lumens, but that is maximum emitter lumens, from the very top of the bin! Out the front, you can only expect 117 lumens (at 65% optics and typical mid-bin losses). Those 80 Surefire lumens are the minimum (lowest in their chosen bin), out of the front of the light. The Fenix will put out slightly more, but not alot. The Titan's continuously variable interface is to die for.

For reference, I am a big fan of many of the Fenix offerings, but I try to remain as impartial as possible. Cannot wait to get my hands on my first Surefire.

Shagbd

Newly Enlightened
Dude, The Titan isn't even out yet?! How can you say a light is out of date when the final version isn't released yet?! Absolute absurdity.

And the last thing I would rely on is the other brands(esp.Fenix, Jetbeam,etc) on lumen specs...

The deal is wait for the light to at least be out in the market before comparison. Can we be fair?

first off, {Words deleted by moderator}
secondly, i was never saying the light WAS outdated....
if you read the title , there is a question mark after the title... thats the little squigly line with the dot under it... looks like this > ?
I was ASKING the question to try to stir up some good conversation abotu how a company, like surefire, announces a PREMIUM product like the Titan... and in the meantime other smaller companies are out shining it...
it was a question.... a question is never absurd.... only the answer

Last edited by a moderator:

LED61

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tell you what, give one to your wife, and all your flashlight quarrels with the loved one will be solved forever!! :)

Last edited:

83Venture

Enlightened
If I gave my wife a $500 flashlight she would kick my *** for wasting money. She is NOT a flashaholic.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Dude, The Titan isn't even out yet?! How can you say a light is out of date when the final version isn't released yet?! Absolute absurdity.quote]

We already know the specifications and function of the light from Surefire. Much information has trickled down through the "insiders" here at CPF. I think the OP was just asking a question based on what's known about the Titan. It's not all that uncommon for manufacturers to 'out-do' each other before their products hit the market either.

Shagbd, you might also enjoy reading around in this thread:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/177247
It discusses many of the same questions about why Surefire costs more money but doesn't always produce the most lumens or have the greatest run-time. Enjoy.
P.S. you might want to consider editing the first sentence of you post. We try to keep it a friendly forum here :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts