• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Closed: Microprocessor controlled drivers Part 2

RV7

Newly Enlightened
Continued from here.

These drivers focus on performance. The PWM frequency is over 5KHz so there's absolutely no noticeable flickering. The microprocessor uses "on" time to control mode switching - if you turn it off within 2 seconds since you turned it on, then it will be in the next mode when you turn it on again. If you leave it on for more than 2 seconds, then the next time you turn it on it will stay in the same mode (last mode memory).

1AA NiMH
1aapcb.jpg
new1aa.jpg

Size: 16x6.5mm (L1P size); Diameter can be trimmed down to 14.5mm
Efficiency: >80%
Full output: 800mA
Reverse polarity won't fry the board nor the LED. But there's a current draw. So if you've just changed battery and find the light not working, turn it off and check the battery polarity.
Price: tbd
Modes:
a) 4% - 20% - 100% (no strobe)
b) 4% - 20% - 100% - 10Hz Strobe

3.7V Li Ion
3DLiIon.jpg
LiIonboardsmall.jpg
liiona.jpg
liionb.jpg

Size: 18x7mm
Efficiency: ~95%
Full output: 1A until 90% discharge with a typical Cree and 18650; then gradually goes down until 98% discharge, when output will drop below 2mA and the battery voltage is around 3.1V. Safe to use with unprotected batteries. Full output level can be changed by replacing a resistor on the board.

Reverse polarity protection
Price: tbd
Modes:
a) 1% - 7% - 30% - 100% (no strobe)
b) 1% - 7% - 30% - 100% - 10Hz Strobe

-- 1AA Beam Shots ----------------------------
I modified a DX Elite (Elly with Cree) using one of my boards. Here are some comparison beamshots. The Rex2.0 has the whitest tint and the best beam pattern, while both the Elite and the MK2X are yellowish. Probably due to the difference in tints, in the photo the Rex appears brighter but to my eyes it's the contrary. After 10 minutes on high, Rex got hot but the Elite was just warm, supposedly due to its bigger size.

aPWM.jpg

a100.jpg

-- 1AA driver beta batch - July 20 --------------------------------------------------------
Some 1AA boards have been assembled. In 100% mode the board outputs 750mA at an efficiency of 81%. If you use a good switch and a Q2 Cree, don't be surprised to see 1A at the LED at 77% efficiency. StefanFS gets more than 1A with a 18650 sized NiMH. It can light up at 0.75V and outputs 70mA at 86% efficiency. With a 2300mAH battery the runtime (to 50%) is about 40 minutes in 100% mode and 4.5 hours in 15%. I believe this driver is taking the power and efficiency of 1AA booster to a new level. Now you get Li Ion performance with NiMH! Vive la NiMH! :D

Areas to improve: Compensation needed for the nonlinear relation between PWM percentage and actual output percentage (see beamshots below); efficiency in lower modes can be better; the size can be smaller (15x6.5mm). A friend of mine and I are working on these and will come up with an improved version in a couple months. But I'd like to keep this a hobby and thus can't promise a delivery date.

For those who have been waiting and are interested in trying out the current version, I'm offering a limited quantity at $8 each. No more of this version will be made.
Update: The beta batch was sold out on Aug 2.

Last edited:

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: FS: Microprocessor controlled drivers Part 2

Are there going to be any 3.7V drivers? I kind of like what you were offering, with the strobe.

AlexGT

Scattergun

Enlightened

Is there any way of bypassing the modes and making it a one-stage driver?? I would like to have mine on max all the time!

RV7

Newly Enlightened

Hi Alex, right now I've no plan resuming the 3.7V project.

Scattergun, to bypass the microprocessor, you can simply resolder the white (negative) wire to the copper ring along the rim of the board. The microprocessor still takes a few milliamps. If you don't like that, you can remove it, along with the two tiny components right beside it.

CandlePowerForumsUser

Enlightened

Are these still available? if so, how much?

Thanks

PM sent too

Last edited:

vetkaw63

Enlightened
Gary,
I received my drivers a few days ago. Very tight windings. I can't wait to try them out. I just need a few hosts.
Thank You,
Mike

meuge

Enlightened
If there are any still available, I will take a couple. Let me know, please.

Scattergun

Enlightened
Last I heard from RV7 was he had closed the sales but had a handful of drivers laying in a drawer... I bought three of them:D