White LED lights -- is this what I want??

MTHall51

Newly Enlightened
I am still wading in the shallow end of the pool in the LED world.
I have an older twin task flashight. 5 -10 leds + incan I think.
Really like the LED color in this light. Would this be considered a white LED?
Is there a metal body light either SL, SF, or other well made one, which would
have this same color, but be about 10 times brighter? Sorry, no beam pics
to illustrate.

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Key words you want to look for in quality LEDs are 'Cree XR-E', 'Seoul P4' and 'Lumileds Rebel'. First of all, let me direct you to...

http://www.fenix-store.com

These are all metal-bodied, quality lights. Not quite Surefire or Streamlight quality but perfectly adequate for almost any situation. I own two already, third on the way, and bought the girlfriend one too. Excellent starting point, and possibly an excellent finishing point too.

I have no idea about your incandescent bulb, but let us calculate the power of total power of your LEDs. They are most likely 5mm LEDs, which means approximately 5.5 lumens each. That's 55 lumens before optical losses. So, to get the 10x brighter you desire, you need 550 lumens. Maximum output per power LED is about 200 lumens per die, so I reckon you need a 3 x Cree/Seoul/Rebel flashlight.

These are typically a custom item. So, if you get a Surefire 6P, you could probably drop-in something like this...

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/177401

Hope that gives you plenty of ideas to go on.

Mike

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
those leds in a twin task and similar things are considered ugly blue and a bad example of white led light by anyone who owns better ones.

ANY Fenix will blow You away, granted :)
(and will kick *** the main incand bulb in higher level - You will wonder why You have not already got one by now)

Gladius01

Enlightened
I am still wading in the shallow end of the pool in the LED world.
I have an older twin task flashight. 5 -10 leds + incan I think.
Really like the LED color in this light. Would this be considered a white LED?
Is there a metal body light either SL, SF, or other well made one, which would
have this same color, but be about 10 times brighter? Sorry, no beam pics
to illustrate.

If you have unlimited budget you can go for Barbolight U-15 give out 860 lumens or kiss *** light WiseLED Tactical 1500 lumens. The good things about WiseLED is you can step down to low setting which is about 350 lumens which is enough lights but if you need distance objects then one click, give out 1500 lumens. :)

Gunner12

Flashaholic
How about this, Buy the cheap MTE Seoul and see how you like the light and the LED. The light should have a whiter(not blue) smooth beam. Quality is average-above average but the LED is the same Seoul P4 used in the Surefire P60L, Lumapower LM31, LM33 and many other lights.

The cheap light is to see how you like the LED's color and tint. If it is good, consider getting a better one.

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an old (1st generation) 2C Twin Task. Frankly, it's pathetic. The LEDs are OK but dim, the incan is awful. A Mag AA is better. Any current Cree or SSC light (or even most older Luxeons) will whomp it.

Fenix has come up and I will second them, although I'm not a huge Fenix fan. Olight to my mind is a better light, and if you want lots of light, an Olight T20 is the ticket. But that is a CR123 light. They also have AA lights which will do the job for almost anyone.

A light like a Fenix L1D is amazing and a revelation. Single AA, TONS of light, and levels! Huge runtime on low, and low is more than enough light most of the time.

Khaytsus

Enlightened
If you have unlimited budget you can go for Barbolight U-15 give out 860 lumens or kiss *** light WiseLED Tactical 1500 lumens. The good things about WiseLED is you can step down to low setting which is about 350 lumens which is enough lights but if you need distance objects then one click, give out 1500 lumens. :)

Do you have stock/get payments?? Seriously, he has a 10 led light, he's not going to buy a $1500 light.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Do you have stock/get payments?? Seriously, he has a 10 led light, he's not going to buy a $1500 light.

Lol....:laughing: You're scaring me Khaytsus. :)

Although not cheap, the wiseled is about $600 bucks not $1500. The 1500 figure is the claimed lumen output. But yeah from a task light to a $600 light.....huge step for sure. :)

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about this, Buy the cheap MTE Seoul and see how you like the light and the LED. The light should have a whiter(not blue) smooth beam. Quality is average-above average but the LED is the same Seoul P4 used in the Surefire P60L, Lumapower LM31, LM33 and many other lights.

The cheap light is to see how you like the LED's color and tint. If it is good, consider getting a better one.
+1
$15 to find out if you like the new LEDs before spending AHEM $600 is a good idea. The light is good enough I am considering getting a bunch for christmas presents.

What batteries do you want to use in the new light? The twintasks come in AA, CR123, C and D so I do not know what you have now.

Maglite has LED versions of their lights in 2AA, 3AA, 2C/D, 3C/D and 4C/D. Try your local hardware/department store.

For a basic Fenix light: CPF member discount code CPF8
Fenix Digital L0D CE Black Finish AAA battery Good for keychain carry. Too many modes: medium low high strobe SOS.
Fenix L1T V2.0 RB80 Black 1AA Good for pocket/purse/belt carry. High low levels.
Fenix L2T v2.0 RB80 Black 2AA Good for kitchen drawer/car glovebox/general purpose use. High low levels.
Fenix Digital P3D Black Premium Q5 2xCR123A *Ships 10/26* current top of the line. Way too many modes.

Surefire: CPF member discount code cpf2006
Surefire E1L CREE VERSION 1xCR123A
Surefire L1 CREE VERSION 1xCR123A High/low levels.
Surefire E2L CREE VERSION 2xCR123A

I am not familiar with the Streamlight metal flashlights. The only one I was intested in but never got around to buying is the SL 4AA propolymer luxeon which is plastic.

Khaytsus

Enlightened
Lol....:laughing: You're scaring me Khaytsus. :)

Although not cheap, the wiseled is about $600 bucks not $1500. The 1500 figure is the claimed lumen output. But yeah from a task light to a $600 light.....huge step for sure. :)

Okay, $600 then.. :p That's almost as much difference as I expect the OP would pay for a flashlight!

$1500 - $600 = $800
$600 - $590 = $10

;-)