Help:2nd Gen L1 or 6PL???

enyong112

Newly Enlightened
Hi Guys,

I'm planning to buy my first flashlight. I have narrowed down my choices in just 2 SF 2nd gen L1 Lumamax and SF 6P LED.

What can do you think I should get?? enlighten me pls..:)

prof

Enlightened
Do you mean the current generation L1? There have been several variations.

What are you going to use the light for?

enyong112

Newly Enlightened
Its stating 2nd gen, but not really sure but here's the specs:
Surefire L1 Max Output: High: 65 lumens Low: 10 lumens

Just regular use, EDC, if I get unlucky something that can disorient an assailant, camping, blackouts...
nothing really special....:)

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Where is it coming from - that way I can read the info and see the photos and possibly tell. I have read many posts that say the L1 is where it's at for ECD. Not many negatives really.

enyong112

Newly Enlightened
lapolicegear.com... BTW Sgt. LED thanks for suggesting the 6P, that's why it's on my list...:D

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
I know the ones from Batteryjunction.com are new production, and have the 8 free batteries and free shipping. You'll likely get a free photon II clone too. They have the cpf2006 5% discount on top of all that! They get all my SF orders.
Any specific reason you want to go with lapolicegear? Their SF lights are the New Gen as well.......

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
As the owner of a bunch of L1s, I have to tell you that while I think there is a continuing role for the first type L1 (non-TIR optic) and for the newest Cree version (a terrific and very flexible light), I really don't see buying a second generation (TIR optic) L1 at this point. It has almost no spill without a separate diffuser. Unless you want to carry both, or unless someone's giving the gen 2 L1 away, I would buy the current version.

enyong112

Newly Enlightened
I'm purchasing some versipacks as well, but iff batteryjunction has a %5 discount plu more batteries for free then i'll go there.. double thanks Sgt LED.... Should I lean to the L1 then?

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
JNewell: I think he's referring to the cree L1 as 2nd gen.....remember he's just getting started here.
Isn't the Cree L1 actually the 6th gen? Not sure......

Enyong112: For your first "SF" go L1 if you got the spare $$
If you like the idea of being able to buy new P60 Led based drop in's and upgrade eaisly to newest bin's go for 6P or my favorite the 6PD for the teeth and true clicky!

Last edited:

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
You can also go with the Lumensfactoy lamps for the times you need an incan with the 6P line.
Of course as always on CPF buy both!

elt1

Newly Enlightened
I've got both and like everyone says: it really depends on what you want to use it for...

Outside of the fact that both are reliable, high quality flashlights which come with a fantastic guarantee it really comes down to the 'me likey' factor.

The main features of the L1 Cree that I like are the high/low option, it's momentary on push button, pocket size and great optics (it may be 65 lumens but it throws as good as some of my 100 lumen lights). Runtime is naturally less than the 6P as its only 1XCR123.

Stuff I like about the 6P: longer runtimes (10+ hours on 2X CR123 batteries) & accessorizable (I've but a click-on tail cap & leef grip on mine).

I'd say if runtime isnt an option then go for the SF L1.. wait a few weeks until you've stopped sleeping with it under the pillow and looking for things to light up (in full daylight) then get the 6PL....

enyong112

Newly Enlightened
JNewell: I think he's referring to the cree L1 as 2nd gen.....remember he's just getting started here.
Isn't the Cree L1 actually the 6th gen? Not sure......

Enyong112: For your first "SF" go L1 if you got the spare $$
If you like the idea of being able to buy new P60 Led based drop in's and upgrade eaisly to newest bin's go for 6P or my favorite the 6PD for the teeth and true clicky!

I believe i'll go for the L1 since right now I got a couple of $$ to spare, got an adjustment to my pay... hehehehe I checked batteryjunction.com they also sell the maxpedetion versipacks, can I use the %5 off on the versipacks as well?? :D

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Yep you sure can! And if the website charges you shipping, don't worry about it, just make an additional comment in the box on your order about the free shipping with Surefire and they will fix the shipping charges before shipping out!
Great people there.

enyong112

Newly Enlightened
Thanks a lot Sgt. LED!!!!!:) I have one more question, I'm here in the Philippines, and I will ask my GF to buy the light for me, cause she works there in the US, so she will bring it w/ her when she comes home in November. Since there are free batteries, is it alright to transport the batteries on the plane??

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
No reports of problems taking a Li-batt'd flashlight on a US air carrier. Others may vary.

Sarge, it probably is six or something like that by Milky's count, but in real life, most here seem to refer to the original as gen 1, the TIR version as gen 2, and the Cree as gen 3. Of course, the best is still the ML-1, but that's another kettle of fish... ;)

scottaw

Enlightened
I always say go for the multi-stage light, especially b/c the light in question is an L1, my L1 sees a LOT more use than my 6P, and it takes half the batteries.

enyong112

Newly Enlightened
My GF already has the L1 I'm going to have she's there in the states, I'm in the Philippines. Is there a way to know if it's really the L1 Cree just by looking at the numbers in the body of the light

Below the Surefire logo there's AO5188, US PAT 6547415, 6712485, 6841941.

On the other side it says L1 Digital Lumamax

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Look into the led(with it off), do you see a single black line running down one side? I realise it may need to be angled a bit due to the optic.

scottaw

Enlightened
Somehow i missed this the first time through the thread....be forewarned, when lapolicegear advertizes all these "free batteries" they show pictures of surefire batteries, and send you old battery station garbage cells. They sent me 50 w/ my first L1 and i'm afraid to use them.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
The cheaper batteries they give out are ok, but I tested them and they are all very slightly off voltage wise from one another. I have found this to be true with new SF batteries as well sometimes. If it worries you much just use them in single cell lights so it won't be a problem.