How can I make a luxeon blink?

zmoz

Enlightened
What is a simple way for me to make a 1 watt luxeon blink? I would like to avoid soldering...my dog can solder better than I can. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

JSWrightOC

Enlightened
There are a million different ways to make ANYTHING blink. Perhaps the simplest solution is to build a single transistor oscilator circuit, but the output transitions tend to be soft and you can't load them that well. Your best bet might be to take a 555 and then drive a MOSFET or even a bipolar transistor which will switch your Luxeon circuit. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

It would be easy to vary the on and off times, both can be done with variable resistors.

JSWrightOC

Enlightened
About those soldering skills....maybe you can convince someone here to do it for you! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

zmoz

Enlightened
Got some plans for something like that? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I would have someone else do it...but I'm cheap. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I know it would be messy...but could I just wire up some transistors, ect without a PCB?

Abe Furburger

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
zmoz said:
.but could I just wire up some transistors, ect without a PCB?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm... and then you could pot it in Epoxy...Nice...

Abe.

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
"How do i make a luxeon blink?"

Flash it right in the collimator with a 5W luxeon! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

JSWrightOC

Enlightened
Actually, yes. What kind of a blink rate? on/off time? I can do a schematic for you. You can assemble it on a prototyping board (available at RS) and all the parts are available from RatShack as well.

zmoz

Enlightened
Hmmmm...I don't know...faster than a car blinker slower than a strobe light. Maybe slightly less than a second between blinks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif