Your True Stories

Lightguy27

Enlightened
Hello everyone!!
Im a big fan of all the crazy true stories on Surefire's website and was wondering if any of of you have some cool stories to share. Oh, I also wanted to say that I am Surefire's true stories contest winner for september!! I dont think the story is on their website yet but it should be soon!!

-Evan :grin2:

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's not a Surefire story, but...

I am an EMT/Firefighter (part time). I always carry LOTS of light and a trauma kit in my car. Normally though I am an electronic engineer, and I start work at 5:30AM to avoid traffic.

Anyway, I am on my way in to work one morning. My drive is all interstate. I just get off one and onto another, about 30 miles one way. I can do it in a half-hour. I am taking the ramp from Rt44 on to Rt90 - the ramp comes down a hill to intercept the freeway. As I'm gathering speed to merge, there is suddenly right in front of me one of those big trucks that haul roofing - the kind with a crane on it's back. It's on its' side, sliding across the grass median between the ramp the the freeway, and across the pavement about 100' in front of my car. I slam the brakes on.

Beyond that is a semi going off the right hand side of the road and down into a little valley. The semi is on fire bigtime.

I get the car stopped. It's pitch dark except for the firelight. The Electrolumens Tristar Phaser takes care of that nicely. It sits on the floor next to the driver's seat, and it has a fresh load of batteries. It will need them.

I get out after calling 911. The operator wants to chat, but there is a woman on the road in front of me, ejected from the roofing truck. Her husband is walking around dazed, I get him settled. Look her over and decide she'll live, although she has a major case of road rash. I cover them both with survival blankets (there are always a dozen of those in the car too) and clean up what I can see.

I have been dreading the walk to the semi, because the flames were already 20' high before the truck ever stopped. It is fully involved and I can't get near it. I don't want to look in the cab. I've seen it before, and if there is someone in there, I can't help him. The place sounds like a battle zone from the semis' tires exploding. I get as close as I can, but I don't see anyone in the cab. I swing the light around and there is the driver, walking to the light! I get him the heck away from there and look him over. He's cut up badly, but I patch the biggest holes and he's going to be OK.

So what happened? Dunno. The best I can guess (and it's only a guess) is the semi was passing the roofer and cut back in too soon. He rolled the roofer and in the process cut open a fuel tank, which then caught fire.

By this time half of Lake County EMS is there, and the Phaser provides light for much of their activity since what they had was, in comparison, pretty anemic. I may have sold a few good lights that day :) I finally did make it to work, but had to go home first and trash the clothes I was wearing. I also had to spend some money to replenish the trauma kit, but that's OK. The Phaser? Washed off, new batteries and it's back waiting for the next one.

Ivanhoe

Newly Enlightened
great story Mike! Well, not for those involved of course. Sounds like you did an admirable job!

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just as a PS - EMS was carrying Streamlight lightboxes. Our FD keeps them on the trucks too. They're OK, but the Tristar Phaser puts them in the shade!

jake25

Enlightened
My Friend lost her pencap in class today, i took out my Dexlight X.1 put it on low and helped her find it.. i dont think i saved any lives but she was impressed when i accidently put it at 100% and blinded half the class:crackup:

copperfox

Enlightened
Awesome story Mike.

-------------------------------

My Friend lost her pencap in class today, i took out my Dexlight X.1 put it on low and helped her find it.. i dont think i saved any lives but she was impressed when i accidently put it at 100% and blinded half the class:crackup:

Did you get her number?!? :D

Dr.K

Enlightened
I was trying to plug in my trailer lights to my truck, and was having trouble by "feel", so then I realized that I had my Novatac 120p in my pocket.

Pow, done in seconds.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Ah, the old impress her with your light move. LOL :naughty:

One of my friends has a really hot sister.... I pulled out my Inova Microlight cause she needed some light. And then immediately responded with, "Oh! too bright!" :(

I had my SF L4 on me. I pulled out the Microlight so she wouldn't be stunned or blinded by my L4.... Oh, how ironic. :ironic:

Lightguy27

Enlightened
Thanks Carrot!! I did not find that thread until after I posted :rolleyes:. And Monocrom, I would have thought the microlight would be the way to go but I guess not huh? Just think how you'll impress her when you whip out the L4!!
:twothumbs
Keep the stories comin' guys!!!
:popcorn: I'll be waiting!!

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just for a change of pace, rather than telling a story about how flashlights got me out of trouble, here's one where it got me INTO trouble!

(Taken from https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/177448)

"
I was walking with my girlfriend at night, and as we were walking up the main road of her town, some maniac in a Suburu went past at about 55MPH in a 30MPH zone! It seemed like a good idea at the time to give a couple of flashes of the strobe (P1D-CE) from the rear, to simulate the flash of a speed camera.

Anyhow, obviously this guy was not the most well-polished of characters. He spun around and started looking for us. He kept driving round the streets until he found us, wound the window down and asked what the f**k I was doing flashing a light at him. To which I replied that he was driving like an idiot.

He then preceded to get out of the car and chase us. Now I had two options here, I could either run, or overload his retinas with a Mag 2D ROP, and then leave a nice, Mag-shaped dent in his head. On this occasion, I chose to walk away, and called the police to report this threatening behaviour.

So, what would you have done? I am 6'2" tall and built rather sturdy, but was it the right thing to walk away?
"

KenAnderson

Enlightened
So, what would you have done? I am 6'2" tall and built rather sturdy, but was it the right thing to walk away?
"

Mike, there is such a thing as a "just war", though there are no real winners in a war. At a point where you believe you need to defend your life or that of another person, it may be necessary to stand and fight. If it ever becomes necessary to engage in such a fight, make sure you come out on top. However, if you can allow the police to deliver justice, all the better as there are loosers out there just waiting to mess up their lives and the lives of others. Glad you and your girl are ok.

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello everyone!!
Im a big fan of all the crazy true stories on Surefire's website and was wondering if any of of you have some cool stories to share. Oh, I also wanted to say that I am Surefire's true stories contest winner for september!! I dont think the story is on their website yet but it should be soon!!

-Evan :grin2:

What is your story? ;)