My SureFire L1-Cree Arrived

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Based upon recent weeks of reading all the kudos concerning the new SureFire L1-Cree, I decided to order one from Brightguy. As usual, Greg came thru and I received the light today. I haven't had too much time to play with it, but overall, I like it. I've never had an older L1 to compare it to. The 1st thing I did was to replace the short clip with the longer SF clip. I've always preferred this clip which was first introduced on the A2, if memory serves. Some my not like it, since it rubs the knurling on the tailcap, but it works fine for me. I also found a glow o-ring lying around that I slid into position. I'm not sure whether I'll keep the lanyard attachment installed or not. How does one go about getting that off and still be able to reinstall it down the road? I was thinking that if I installed the lanyard and pull straight out sideways, it may come off the light. Any suggestions for removal would be appreciated.

Here it is.

CIMG0307Small.jpg

Being an owner of the Novatac and now the L1-Cree, I'm asking myself why would one want the L1 over the Novatac? The only reason I could come up with is simplicity of the L1. Other than that (correct me if I'm off-base), the Novatac has more benefits over the L1.

For instance, it's shorter, it's brighter, it's dimmer. Both lights use a 1-cell configuration. Both lights are similar in price. I'd like a constructive debate and opinion on why an owner of both of these lights would prefer the L1 over the Novatac.

FlashSpyJ

Enlightened
To remove the lanyard ring, you just have to use a small screwdriver (I use a small flat one). push it in in the crack on the plastic ring on the side, GENTLY!, its very easy to slip and run the screwdriver in your finger!! you might have to jurk it a bit, but it works! someone else might explain it better.. :)

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, TIN! I agree with your opinion of the NovaTac/L1 comparison. I don't own an L1, but had a chance to play with one at a local gun show. I DO however like the beam profile of the L1, so I had my NovaTac 120T modded by Milky to give me the best of both worlds! I had him do the "SuperNova" mod to my 120T...now it's completely "pimped out"! It's got the SF TIR optic with glow O-ring in the bezel, a Peu SS bezel with three green trits, and a Ti bezel-down clip! The mods I've done to the 120t total the cost of the light itself, but I'm EXTREMELY pleased with the results. The SF L1 is a very nice light, but I'd take the NovaTac over it any time...YMMV!

PJD

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
What I do like about the L1 over the Novatac (and those other lights with a bunch of bells and whistles) is it doesn't take nearly as much voltage to fire. If I take a cell that will no longer fire in the Novatac, it will fire in the L1 and give a good bit of useful light for awhile. Apparently those circuits like in the Novatac, POP, etc, require quite a bit of voltage to start. Sure, they'll run forever once fired, but that's no good if the light won't fire. If memory serves, these lights require 2.4/2.6 volts to fire. Apparrently, the L1 is something less.

democopy

Newly Enlightened
I'm not sure whether I'll keep the lanyard attachment installed or not. How does one go about getting that off and still be able to reinstall it down the road? I was thinking that if I installed the lanyard and pull straight out sideways, it may come off the light. Any suggestions for removal would be appreciated.

Use a stout needle on one corner make sure that when you are inserting the needle, knife or jeweler size screwdriver into the gap between the two pieces of plastic, you are prying up on the part without the actual lanyard hole.
SurefireLanyardRing.jpg

Kiessling

Flashaholic
I can see two points in favour of the L1 ... the KISS interface and the ruggedness ... with the interface being th emost important, at least for me. Multi-click just doesn't cut it.
IMHO of course.

I do not know about beam distribution as I do not own a Novatac, but I suspect there are big differences to be seen. Another very subjective point.

bernie

elt1

Newly Enlightened
One of the things that I like about the L1 is that you can literally throw it across the room and you know it'd still light up the minute you hit the button.

If I did the same with my Novatac 120P, I'd be much more worried that it might not start up... not that it wouldnt, but there'd still be that doubt until I fired it up.

To me thats one of the biggest differences between the 2 lights.

That being said, my Novatac always finds its way into my pocket for work & play... I love the U.I. despite the whole 'multi click' business- I can always program it to fire up how I want on the first click.

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
TIN, sorry to post a little OT here, but looks like you tried to PM me over the weekend? Sorry my box was full... if you might resend you can also reach me over at the Marketplace or by email to...

img-email-milky-quarryrun-com.gif

:thumbsup:

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L1 switch is not a clicky, right? You latch it on by turning the switch?

thanks
me

L1 switch is a dual stage tactical twisty: press a little for momentary low beam... press more for momentary high beam... OR twist a little for constant-on low beam... twist more for constant-on high beam.