CCW Permits

QMT2

Newly Enlightened
So I would like to get a CCW permit. However I am a little worried about doing that. Let me know your experiences from thos of you who have one. Now on to my fear. I have never in my life been arrested,pulled over or got a Parking ticket. The only interaction with Police is working with one and dealing with them when I worked Loss Prevention. Now I have a Police Scanner on at all times and I hear them call back plates and they advise the Officer that the person has a CCW permit. Is it crazy for me to think that I may be driving down the street and for whatever reason they run my plates and find out I have a CCW permit and find a reason to pull me over?

mr45acp2u

Newly Enlightened
My first question to you would be where are you located? I am an LEO and I think that having a CCW is a bonus. I had one before coming an LEO and carried all the time. One contact with police during that time while driving a veh. My weapon was held during my contact with them, and then returned to me unloaded. That is a fairly standard procedure here in Arizona.

Most of the LEO's you might contact will have a decent conversation with you about your CCW if you want, some will look at you as if you have no reason to carry CCW. They are a small minority.

If you have any Q's feel free to ask.

mr45acp2u

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know about how you'd be prejudged while driving around. Better to check with folks nearby anyway. I can only offer a comment about obtaining the license -- join a good range near where you are and take all the advice from those folks that you can. In Massachusetts being able to get a CCW apparently varies greatly from one town to the next. One might be nearly "yes unless there's reason to deny" while the very next town can be "no and nearly zero exceptions."

There's a legend that in the city they hand you the weapon that you're supposed to use for your shooting test. If you take it you fail right there, because the action's not open and you don't know it's not loaded. I don't know if it's true, but you wouldn't want to get an F when you could have known about the curveball by talking with the folks at your shooting range. Maybe just your local gun shop can offer advice too.

Last edited:

cslinger

Enlightened
I have interacted with LEOs on a few occasions while having my permit. I am always polite, always keep both hands on the steering wheel and indicate to the officer that I have a permit, indicate whether or not I am carrying and let them know where the firearm is in relation to my license and other info. Responses by LEOs have been the following.

1-Pulled over by a TN state cop for not changing lanes after the move over law had just been put in place. Told robocop, about being armed, he simply asked in a bored, monotone voice if I had planned on shooting him? When I said no he shrugged and said that we could then move on to writing my ticket. 8^(

2-Pulled over for a tail light out. Officer basically just told me to move slowly when getting my info.

3-Was rear ended on the way to work. Officer showed up and I showed him my paperwork and indicated I had a permit but was not carrying at the time. He proceeded to ask, and I quote, "Why the hell are you NOT carrying? We need good guys out there carrying. Don't let me catch you not carrying again." 8D

So generally I found it is either a non issue or generally gives you the benefit of the doubt since the LEO knows you have jumped through the legal hoops to get the permit as well as had federal background checks done, the chances of you being a "bad guy" is pretty low. They may ask to relieve you of your firearm and I cannot really blame them for that if that is what they feel they need to do to feel safe.

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
whatever reason they run my plates and find out I have a CCW permit and find a reason to pull me over?

In California it is not legal for a police officer to pull you over unless they witness you breaking a law. They cannot pull you over say, for the purpose of checking that your driving license or insurance is valid. I suspect all other states have restrictions on why a police officer can pull you over. Check packing.org.

cslinger said:
They may ask to relieve you of your firearm and I cannot really blame them for that if that is what they feel they need to do to feel safe.

Call me dumb, but I would be disinclined to unholster my weapon for the mere purpose of allowing a police officer to hold it for comfort. Unless I was being arrested of course.

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
My experience with LEO's and my CCW permit is that it's not a problem. If it's casual contact with an LEO, I don't mention it at all. If I've been pulled over or whatever then I'm careful to let the LEO know immediately, something along the lines of "Evening deputy. Just so there's no surprises, I'd like you to know I've got a concealed weapon permit and I'm carrying." Several times the LEO has asked what my preferred weapon is, and once an LEO said he was interested in that same weapon and asked if I'd let him look at it. I said sure, safed the weapon and handed it to him, and offered to meet up with him at a local range so he could fire it. He declined, but I got off with "don't do it again!" instead of a ticket. :grin2:

:buddies:

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is some misinformation in this thread. Officers can stop a vehicle for a number of different reasons. Don't play amateur lawyer on the side of the road.

Refusing to surrender a gun to an officer is as close to suicide as I can think of. You will have a dozen officers with guns pointed at your head quickly. You will be arrested--I don't care if you're the Chief of Police.

I've been on both sides of this deal many times. I am calm and businesslike either way.

QMT2

Newly Enlightened
Well I live in Ohio. It has been a while since I read up on the Laws however I do believe in Ohio when you have a gun on you that you have to have it out in the open in while you are driving.

As to being Harassed the city I live in a rather small one was under a Federal Consent Degree for things the Police did. But obviously since the Consent Degree took place along with me being the wrong color for them to do there things. I should be ok.

It may sound stupid but I am rather proud of myself. That I have never been arrested,pulled over nothing. I want to keep it that way! Other people I went to school with is another story :) We never did have a 10 year reunion but if we did it would have been at the Ohio Department Of Corrections where most of the people I graduated with a currently residing. :)

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
and find a reason to pull me over?

Don't be a 'fraidy cat. If the Legislature has provided a concealed carry law in your state, and you are in compliance with that law, I say scr*w anyone who doesn't like it.

Furthermore, the police generally do not hold a grudge - so to speak - against those who have a concealed carry permit. Its the folks who carry a gun without a permit that get their attention. :twothumbs

gorn

Enlightened
I may be driving down the street and for whatever reason they run my plates and find out I have a CCW permit and find a reason to pull me over?

I can only speak for California law. A CCW is not connected with your license plates or drivers license at all. The only records kept are kept by the issuing agency.

QMT2

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies guys. OFF Tpoic but since I know there is some LEO's on here I wanted to know what is the oldest you can be to become a LEO? I am Elderly now 32. Is that too old? Thanks again

jtice

Flashaholic
Dont worry about the Leo's
Most will treat you with respect in this matter, as a matter of fact, alot will treat you Better.
Here, in West Virginia, they dont even relay that info when they run your plates.
Check all your local laws, make sure you know what you need to know.
For example, in WV, you are under no obligation to tell the officer you have a CCW, or a gun on you, unless he asks.

~John

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Every state weapon carry law is unique to that state. www.packing.org will link you to the specific source and/or law for your state. I would read that and if you need further information the best contact would be with the issuing authority or a certified instructor (if the state certifies them). An individual LEO may be well versed in the carry law or they may not -- there's a lot of laws out there and no one can be an expert in them all.

For example, some states require that you notify that you're carrying a weapon and some don't.

Please don't rely on advice received in the barber shop, street corner or internet. Owning a firearm is a serious responsibility and carrying one is much more so.

And join and support the NRA and your state affiliate. If we don't, your question will be irrevelant in a couple of years.

EDIT - I just checked the www.packing.org link and came up empty. Anyone know if the site is just down or what?

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
QMT2, check for sure, but I think Ohio has changed the law so you don't have to be non-concealed out of your vehicle. I believe you are still legally required to notify an officer (during a traffic stop or the like) that you are a concealed carry permit holder and that you are or are not carrying..

My brother lives in the Central Ohio area and I'd call him to ask, as he's a proud CCW holder, but he works the graveyard shift at the hospital and is sleeping by now, I'm sure..

cslinger

Enlightened
For example, some states require that you notify that you're carrying a weapon and some don't.

What BigIron says about various states having various rules is absolutely correct so you should always know the law of your and any other state that you can legally carry in.

That being said even if the state doesn't have a law indicating that have to tell the officer you are armed, I believe it is both courtesy and prudent to do so while keeping your hands in plain view. The reason for this twofold.

1-These guys deal with liars and scum everyday and tend to be very suspicious both because it is their job and it gets them home to their family every night. They will be looking for signs of weapons. It is common courtesy to let them know you are carrying and ask them how they want to proceed for their safety. If nothing else it makes the stop a tiny bit less stressful for them and a less stressed cop is best for all parties.

2-If you do not tell the officer you are carrying and you do happen to print, show the weapon etc. then the officer is very likely to draw down on you because he or she doesn't know the score. You are also likely to be detained for the safety of the officer until they can figure out what is going on. This simply creates more stress for all parties involved and is not good.

Basically LEO's are people and some of them are a$$holes, just like a good portion of non-LEOs are a$$holes. Do not confuse these folks with your average everyday officer who is probably a bit high strung and deals with jerks all day every day. Most are good folks who have a high stress job where simple traffic stops can be the most dangerous. Making the situation as easy as possible for them is win win for all involved and may very well get you out of a ticket.

Be polite, be professional, be courteous. Keep your hands where the officer can see them and follow his or her instructions. If you feel the officer is overstepping their bounds, then be prepared to call a lawyer, tell them your basic info and then shut up. Follow the instructions of the officers and still be courteous.

Having a CCW permit means always de-escalating any situation IMO.

Oh if a LEO asks to relive you of your weapon, you may agree, you may disagree but if you don't comply things will get ugly for you.

Turd_Ferguson

Enlightened
. Now on to my fear.

My suggestion is to stop what ever it is you're doing that is causing your fear because you may eventually get caught. If getting caught is worth it to you, then the CCW is the least of your worries.

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
That being said even if the state doesn't have a law indicating that have to tell the officer you are armed, I believe it is both courtesy and prudent to do so while keeping your hands in plain view. The reason for this twofold.

lol to me it sounds so much better to tell the officer you have a carry permit, than to say
"I've Got a Gun" :)
But mabey its just me, and not them that would be offset by somone pointing that out when you walk up to thier car.
mabey its the "and i am not afraid to use it" instead.