getting to the truth

todo

Newly Enlightened
This place is incredible for researching your latest flashlight want/needs. But all this information seems to mixed in with lots of biased oppinions, which is ok and to be expected. The problem is to many people spout off oppinions based on BRAND LOYALTY and little else. Most of the time THOSE oppinions are obvious, and get dissregarded. Before I got my lodce I read every post I could find on it. Some warned not to try the 10440's, some relentlessly bashed it just because it was a fenix, and others said the batteries would work. Most imortantly I followed the advise from first hand accounts stating that with resonable caution the light is fine with the 10440's, and it has been fine running on the 10440's for nearly a year now. My point is theres so much information on this forum, its almost impossible to not be able to find the truth, you just need to do a bit of sorting.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Yes. Unfortunately you need to do more searching than a few years ago, as the static is increasing. Which is why I think we should try to swing CPF back to a course that favours a better discussion culture that distinguishes opinion from fact and concentrates on flashlights while leaving out personalities.

The other problem is that there are now sooooo many lights and users ... there just gotta be confusion :D

bernie

copperfox

Enlightened
That's what an internet forum is dude; truth mashed up with opinion. You must weigh your willingness to trust with your own personal experience to get to the truth. Trust me, it's a lot worse on other forums. Comparatively, CPF is civilized :twothumbs

Dantor

Enlightened
What I like about this forum is it "steers" me in the right direction(s). Then I research all I can/want and go from there. What is truth, fact? My truth and your truth can be two totally different things, but I appreciate everyones views and experiences and that to me is invaluable...

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is the 'net - not a peer reviewed journal, or even Wikipedia :) Lots of good opinions here, and lots of solid knowledge. Lots of baloney, fairy tales and urban legends too. That's what makes it fun to read.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
If a particular light has performed poorly for someone, don't expect an opinion with a glowing review. Just how people are.

If a light isn't a No-name El Cheapo, and it fails to perform reliably; I usually buy another example of the same light to try out. If that one fails too, I'll let anyone know the details if I see a thread asking about it.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy,
as to getting clear infos :rolleyes: and not just impressions, You will, with just a bit of reading, see, that there is a very large group of readers & cashual posters, 2 small but loud groups of bashers (one holding their expensive lights and bashing the cheaper ones, the other one sitting at the opposite side) and the very small group that can compare, because they own both, and, at the same time, understand that there are limitations of lights in question and put these into their statements

f.e. for a hiker who plans to do week-long trip a 20 min runtime ROP in a 3 D Maglite might not be the ideal light - even when its one of the brightest around here

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, there's "brand" or maker loyalty and that fact does give biased reports. Kinda like being a Ford or Chevy man---that's life. As has been said in this thread, there is need to do more reading and try to distinguish the info vs the mis-info. Not always easy nor 100% accurate but, other than buying everything that comes out and trying it for yourself--or, attending one of the increasingly occuring photon fests or the Shot Show, there are few other ways to determine what best suits your needs. This place certainly does present lots of information though--as well as opinions!

Karl