Help! Eastward YJ 3W not as bright as it should be?

Delta

Enlightened
I just got this: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4424 and I'm a little distressed. It doesn't seem as bright as my L2D on turbo, and I don't see any at all difference between Hi/Lo modes. I have a fresh pair of Battery Station CR123's in it. Is it because I'm not using an 18650 that it's not as bright, or did I get a messed up one? I tried two sets of batteries, with the same result.

Delta

Enlightened
Playing around some more I'm pretty certain this is only low mode. It's still bright, but nowhere near the descriptions I have read here and on DX reviews.

It says "3.6-9v" on the side, which I assume I can pump up to 3 more volts through it, allowing me to access high mode?

This makes me wonder if I am getting all I can out of my C2.

I ordered some 18650's last week, so hopefully this will cure it. I'd feel better if someone could tell me that this IS what the problem is.

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both Ultrafire C2 and Eastward YJ that you mention both are brighter with RCR123 than 18650. Make sure that every contact is clean and you have a good charged battery. Check with DMM how much the flashlight draws amps from the battery and compared it with mine. There should not be much different if you light is at Max.

here are the results on my Ultrafire C2 and Eastward.
Ultrafire C2 2xRCR123 (0.63A), 18650 (0,86A)
Eastward YJ 2xCR123 (0.61A), 18650 (0.96A)

That is the highest figures i can get from freshly charged Li-Ion.

Thanks.

Delta

Enlightened
I have both Ultrafire C2 and Eastward YJ that you mention both are brighter with RCR123 than 18650. Make sure that every contact is clean and you have a good charged battery. Check with DMM how much the flashlight draws amps from the battery and compared it with mine. There should not be much different if you light is at Max.

here are the results on my Ultrafire C2 and Eastward.
Ultrafire C2 2xRCR123 (0.63A), 18650 (0,86A)
Eastward YJ 2xCR123 (0.61A), 18650 (0.96A)

That is the highest figures i can get from freshly charged Li-Ion.

Thanks.

Right now all I have are primary CR123's...no rechargables. Maybe I should order some RCR123's too.

Don't have a DMM, but I might go pick one up tonight.

bspofford

Enlightened
I bought a number of these over the past year, and they recently made several undesirable changes. First, the beam now has a greenish tint and is only about half as bright. Maybe they changed the BIN, but I also wonder if the new emitters are fake CREEs. Second, the tail switch used to be great but is now junk. The changes seem to affect both the Eastward YJ-18WA and YJ-18WF models. I used to recommend these two as among my best buy lights, but I no longer recommend them.:thumbsdow

Delta

Enlightened
I bought a number of these over the past year, and they recently made several undesirable changes. First, the beam now has a greenish tint and is only about half as bright. Maybe they changed the BIN, but I also wonder if the new emitters are fake CREEs. Second, the tail switch used to be great but is now junk. The changes seem to affect both the Eastward YJ-18WA and YJ-18WF models. I used to recommend these two as among my best buy lights, but I no longer recommend them.:thumbsdow

I think I like my C2 more and more...I'll have to get the newer HAIII one. I hate the UI of the Eastward YJ...Instead of High/Low/Off, it should be High/Off/Low/Off.

About the fake Cree thing...is there such a thing? I ask because I unscrewd the cap and looked under the reflector and it doesn't look like the Cree in my Rayovac 4W. For $27.00, it better be good.

I MAY have underestimated the output. I'll know for sure when the sun goes down, but I think maybe there are a few differences that made me think it is worse than it is. We'll see. Either way, I expected a little more punch. At best, it is equivelent to what I already have.