Where to stay in London

chrisse242

Enlightened
This goes to our friends in England and everbody who knows a good and cheap (as cheap as you can find it) place to stay in in London. I'd like to fly monday or tuesday next week and stay for four or five days. It seems like most of the hostels don't have any rooms left. So if anybody has an idea....
Of course I'd appreciate every flashlight-related tip as well...

Chrisse

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Chrisse242,

I live and work in London and I know that it is very costly to stay in the centre! Try to find somewhere like Travel lodge which is a chain of country wide inexpensive standard motel-like hotel. They are usually near main fast roads and not readily accessible for pedestrians! But a little perseverance will work wonders.(Prices vary but a room is normally no more than £50 per night)

Don't worry about being ripped off by them either, they're pretty good and reliable.

I've never investigated the small cheap touristy and privately run hotels, but there are plenty of them in areas like Paddington (quite central), Notting Hill, Shepherd's Bush, Fulham and Batswater. Check the rooms out before you hand over the money!! (Bring a UV torch for that!!:green:)

Most places in London are safe as long as you keep a clear head and a sharp look out.

Good torch shops are rare indeed. But I quite like A-Z electronics in Brewer Street W.1. and cheap batteries are available in branches of Maplins, Woolworths and Tescos.

Enjoy your stay in London.

Please feel free to PM me for any specific info or questions which I will try to answer to the best of my knowledge.

Be lucky...

PS - I don't recommend the bicycle rickshaws - very unsafe, nor accepting minicabs from people on the street. UK law states that a passenger in a minicab which has been touted on the street rather than called on a phone is uninsured!!! I do recommend black cabs and buses and tubes.

chrisse242

Enlightened
Thanks for your help, since I couldn't find any cheap flights from Bremen I looked for bus tours and found an offer for five days with a hotel room already included. Most likely for younger people than I am, but I'm not going to be in my room very much anyway...
I'm really looking forward to the trip, it's been years since I have been in London... By the way, what's the weather like at the moment?

Chrisse

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't forget to bring some good stollen cake with you.
MMMmmmmm stollen yum yum.
Weather is wet and windy (as always).
Have a nice trip.

chrisse242

Enlightened
I think it's a a little too early in the year for stollen, at least for good stollen. But if anyone wants me to bring something else from germany, feel free to ask and I'll see what I can do...

Chrisse

Latest posts