New E2L

Mountain Man

Newly Enlightened
Hello. Long time lurker, but just now registered.

Ive owned a 6P for many years. I just bought a new E2L ( Outdoorsman) . I wanted somting Bright, but with much better runtime than my 6P. The light was used last 2 nights, and is decent. I like the tint, and seems to have a decent throw.

In your expertise, how is its beam pattern described, Is this a thrower, or more of a flood?

I ask because I will need somthing Brighter, and am looking at the L2 through L5's. I dont want anything more than 2 batteries. I have hand cannon lights in the rig if I need them, but just need a small pocket flamethrower. :)

Thanks

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Hi and welcome to CPF :)

The L2 is a pure flood light, and the L5 a medium distance light. None of the two is a real thrower.

However ... one question is how much throw you want and how that can be correlated with the restrictions on battery power you have.

bernie

Mountain Man

Newly Enlightened
I absolutly dont want a floodlight.I would want somthing that has a tighter hotspot good for 75 feet max. If I need more light, im getting a Mag charger or a streamlight lightbox out.

Last edited:

Mountain Man

Newly Enlightened
To add, Im tring to stick with 2 cells, just cause I like the size of my E2L, or 6P. I want somthing to fit in my pocket. I have plenty of bigger, brighter heavier lights available if needed.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
How's your price range and how important is build quality / ruggedness to you? Does it need to be able to run on Li-Ion, or primaries only?
There are plenty of 2x123 lights around to choose from.
bernie

Mountain Man

Newly Enlightened
How's your price range and how important is build quality / ruggedness to you? Does it need to be able to run on Li-Ion, or primaries only?
There are plenty of 2x123 lights around to choose from.
bernie

Must be weatherproof, rugged. $ not a issue. Prefer the Litium 123's for performance when its cold. Its used on duty, discretly. Last nightI was performing a perimiter check, looking at the shadows, and checking in the typical scrubs and border for a few drunks that wondered away from a party.

Last edited:

Kiessling

Flashaholic
OK ... I will show you what my arsenal holds for what you want ... a 2xCR123 throw light on primary cells.
Be aware that there are plenty of others that I do not know personally, so keep on looking. One thing I remember is a light called "Tiablo" that should be of acceptable quality and made for throw.

My choices are:

McLuxIII-S27-Cx2
Rust-1.jpg

A two-stage light by McGizmo running a SSC-P4 LED at 917mA on high. Made of titanium. Good thrower.

McLuxIII-27LT-S
McLux27LTvsU2.jpg

Another McGizmo two-stage, this time twist-only and in HAII aluminium. Shown next to a SF U2 for size comparison.

Then there are the Aleph1 and Aleph3 heads by McGizmo ...
Alephheads.jpg

THose are SF E-Series compatible and screw on an E2e body. They do need a Light Engine that can be customized to spec.

THis is an Aleph3 on E2e:
Aleph3NAT.jpg

And an Aleph1 in 1xCR123 configuration:
Aleph1devil.jpg

The problem with all those McGizmo lights is availability.
For Aleph parts you can check with the Sandwich Shoppe, apart from that they do show up on B/S/T.
For more info visit the FAQ in the McGizmo forum.

Please note that those are just a small fragment of the available lights and that those are from the top spectrum of quality and price. There are many more, and others will hopefully chime in, too :D

bernie

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was kind of leaning toward suggesting the SF U2. It is my favorite light that I have. It is a great all round utility light. A combination of good throw and spill. It is definitely weather proof and rugged. It's only about 3/4" longer than your E2L. It takes 2x CR123A batteries. Six brightness levels from 2 lumens to 100 lumens with an easy as pie UI. 40 plus hours on the low setting. It has a forward momentary clickie. I also have the Tiablo A9S Q5, and while it is a real thrower...I think the U2 fits the bill for what you are looking for. I would trust my life to my U2 over the Tiablo...without a moments thought.

Culhain

Enlightened
You may want to consider the Malkoff Devices drop in for your 6P. I use mine often for what you describe when there is little ambient light. But, if you deal with ambient light issues you need an incan thrower, IMHO.

Here is a link to Malkoff Devices:
http://www.malkoffdevices.com