Dedicated ground path in Maglites?

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey folks,

As I recall, js and bwaites built a special, dedicated ground path for their USL battery pack. Normally, we just route the current through the Maglite tailcap, up the walls of the light, and that completes the circuit. The USL crew built one out of solder wick (IIRC?) for improved conductivity, the reason being that the stock ground path would not handle the extremely high amperage well.

Has anybody else simply used the stock ground path and gotten away with it at 8+ amp draw? I know it is fine for 4A (ROP) but have not tested 8A. Am planning a 8A+ design around this using LiFePO4 D-sized cells which effectively preclude me putting solder wick/braid along the sides of the light.

Should I resistance-fix the tailspring with the solder wick anyway, and if so, what would be the recommended way of going about it?

I am replacing the entire stock switch with a switch specifically designed for high power usage so that part of the equation has been taken care of.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, I've been watching the progress of your mod.. nice one :) it MAY be a resistance issue, I can't say for sure so I am waiting for the hotwire gurus to chime in.

As for the cells, well, we technically don't have them yet, it's still talk at this stage. If I can't get those then I switch to A123s. But for the moment, I'll plan around them.

Last edited: