Hi, looking for a light for a friend for hiking/mt climbing

ExZeRoEx

Enlightened
Hello, my friend enjoys his wilderness (camping/mt. climbing) so much that when he gets drunk, he goes look for a bush/tree to sleep in.
More on topic, he's going to go on a trip to Mt. Shasta, and I was wondering what kind of light I should get to loan to him, he currently only owns a cheap, plastic 3xAAA Ray-O-Vac LED that has brightness and tint that makes me want to puke. So, basically I'm looking for something that's easily handheld with a brightness that would be useful at night, outdoors. Long runtime would also be important because I don't want my friend to go blind in the dark on a mountain. However, batteries are also an issue because he is a non-CPFer.
If the price is low enough I might even be able to convince him to buy it on his own.
To summarize: small-med size
output good enough for hiking/camping
decent runtime/easily found batteries
and I guess durable, in case it is dropped on a rock.

Thank you in advance.

Curious_character

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get him a headlamp. There's no point in having one hand tied up just holding a light. There are a lot to pick from. I've used a Petzl Tikka+ for years and found it to be perfectly adequate for just about all outdoor tasks. But there are a lot of good Luxeon lights like the Princeton Tec EOS, Myo XP, and others which offer a better combination of light output and run time. Those two are very easily modded with a Seoul P4 LED to double the already adequate light output. If he wants to supplement the head lamp with something having more throw but running on AA cells, consider the L2D, or L1D to cut the size and weight (and light output-runtime) down a bit.

c_c

ExZeRoEx

Enlightened
He says he would like to be able point it around with his hands instead of with his neck. So I think a handheld would be best. Also, he wears stuff on his head already because it's cold up there.

Grubbster

Enlightened
I would recommend a Fenix L2D. It has multiple light levels for battery conservation and uses AA batteries which are easy to get. Lithium primaries would be his best bet because of cold conditions.

sORe-EyEz

Enlightened
any headlamp that i can attach to my palm is gd. works simplest for headlamps without external battery packs & cords. :thumbsup:

i made a simple strap attschment with my SL Enduro. :whistle:

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Novatac lights are perfect for backpacking / hiking. Durable, waterproof, very bright or super dim (users choice) and reliable. These are between $110 and $150 new but can be had for less if you happen to find them on B/S/T.

If this is too pricey, I would recommend a Fenix P1D CE. These lights are also great and a little lighter weight also which is always nice if you are carrying a backpack.

Real expensive but also real nice are McGizmo's Ti PD-S lights and Endeavour's new Nautilus (Is currently in production not sold yet).

Good luck.