LX / Tactical flashlights...why?

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Picked up a Brinkman Legend LX the other day and am truly amazed by the light output.
shocked.gif
Seems an incredible value at $20.

But I'm asking myself what purpose does a light like this serve? Considering how much the 123 lithium batts cost, short runtime and short bulb life, I wonder what I'd use it for?

If something goes bump in the night at home or when camping, I'll be grabbing the LX. Other than that it's just too expensive to run.
frown.gif

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use it when I want a bright compact light but do not want to scratch up one of my SureFires. It does nicely in a console where lots of things would mess up a nice SureFire.

Blikbok

Enlightened
I don't have a LX, but I have two Surefires. I use several different lights for daily use: a MiniMag, a CMG Tasklight, a Tikka headlamp. I rarely use either the E1 or the 6Z longer than a few seconds. But the E1 and the CMG are my EDC lights. Lithiums last long when rarely used
smile.gif

beam_me_up

Enlightened
RonM, as more and more things are beginning to use 123 cells we all HOPE that price will come down considerably
smile.gif
As it is now, we can get them as low as a buck each which isn't too shabby....just stay away from the $8.99 ones in the store....those will kill you
smile.gif

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use mine as a car light to complement my Inova X5. I think they're a great combination. An hour of relatively intense light say for changing a tire and the Inova as a steady backup should you need a longer run time. The stiff tailcap switch of the LX is actually a plus when banging around the glove compartment.

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RonM:
If something goes bump in the night at home or when camping, I'll be grabbing the LX. Other than that it's just too expensive to run.
frown.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Ron, that's the best way to use this light for EDC. As geepondy recommended, get the X5 for most of you light needs, then when you need that "long throw" or extra light, pull out the LX. Also, when the batteries start running down in the LX, you can move them to the X5 & get more runtime. TX

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Smaller, high output lights are very good lights for EDC. In my line of work I often need a burst of bright light for a few minutes at a time, and I don't always know that I will need a flashlight until I get into the thick of things, so for me a 123 cell light is the perfect companion for these situations. If I need long runtime and higher brightness, I'll use my UK Light Cannon.

Eric

signals

Newly Enlightened
I just recently got my LX too, but I think it will make a great compliment to the Lambda Illuminator. I can use the LI for walking or area light, and then use the LX if I need to see farther. The LI uses AA batteries and lasts a couple of hours, so it's not too expensive to run. That leaves the LX as a light-duty task-specific light that I don't plan to run very much.

-Kevin

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ordered half a dozen 123's on eBay for $1.49 each. After shipping and such it was about $2.25 apiece. Quite reasonable compared to store prices.

Still a little curious as to what situations everyone uses these kinds of lights in. For me the LX is far to large for an EDC, but then again my EDC is a Photon II. I already carry too much gear, no room for flashlights (heresy!).
grin.gif

Coop57

Enlightened
The LX along with the Scorpion, E2 etc.. are perfect as tactical lights. Temporarily blinding a bad guy to gain valuable seconds in a tactical situation. Then hit him on the head with your Mag 4D.

ToddM

Enlightened
It's a good point, and it's probably one of th reasons the public in general has shyed away from such lights. I mean yeah the light is amazing. However it's pretty hard to convince someone they need a $20-$300 flashlight that eats (if you don't buy on the internet) $10-30 in batteries in as fast as 20 minutes. Even if you do buy on the internet your probably looking in $4-12 per hour and in some cases in 20 minutes. $36 a hour to run a M6 at 500 lumens is spendy. But it's hard to complain about the gas mileage a ferarri gets
smile.gif

One of the best reasons I like the smaller lithium 123 lights is first that being lithium they have that ~10 year shelf life. I can throw one in a glove box with a extra pair of batteries and I don't have to worry every year about checking the batteries or changing them. The LX is perfect for this.

Now if your a LEO or Military person you are already carrying a ton of gear and a super bright light in a small package is lighter to carry, and they need really bright lights. Course usually there someone else is paying the bill
smile.gif
Even if there isn't lets face it their life can depend on that light.

That said I've found that a hour of light goes a lot longer for me than I first thought it would. Probably because I don't use the light continous, so you end up with more than a hour anyway. I probably change the batteries in my every day lights every oh 3 months (obviously I don't use it daily) so then the price isn't so bad. Probably every 6 months for my ones around the house (but I use a rechargable there).

While I really like the amazing light for size ratio you can get out of those bright 123 cell lights. I still like the rechargable ones. To me the smaller battery eating ones are more a specialty light. When you really need a TON of light or you need a lot of light in a small package. My user around the house and in the car is a rechargeable surefire. Where size isn't a big factor and the rechargeability makes it cheap to run. Those are the ones that get the most use. If I'm away from the car or the house, I use the smaller 2 cell 123 lights.

As some others have mentioned many of them carry a smaller LED light to use when they don't need a ton of light. So they don't have to use the super bright battery eater all the time
smile.gif

So they all have their place. I get by far the most use out of my rechargeable surefire 9N's.

Todd

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I just picked up my Legend LX and have been enjoying shining it around the neighborhood. A lot of light for $20. After a few more days of show 'n tell amazing my friends, it'll go in the bedroom beside the .357, Becker CU/7 and shotgun replacing my Surge. The Surge is plenty bright, runs fine on rechargeable AA's so it gets the day in, day out duty around here. The LX was purchased with a specific job to do, it's assigned to the 'night weapons cache' for checking out bumps in the night. I really hope I never use it.

Now, time to order some 123's for $1.23.
smile.gif