Split the optic on my L1 - Head now open, help with parts

Willabbott

Newly Enlightened
I tried opening the head of my L1 today, after a friend had showed me he opened his up, and swapped the LED (think he did a Seoul) his was way flood, not much spot, but he messed the anodizing up a bit... so I thought I'd spend just a couple minutes and see if I could open it without any damage...

While I did not get it open, I did succeed in not hurting the anodizing, but did split the lens clean in half, with a couple little spurs... It's still inside, and usable, in fact you can't see any thing in the beam, except really up close, however I know it likely won't last, and probably will leak if it gets wet.

I've got a message into him to see if he can either finish opening it up, and fix it, make it reflector, or do a full rebuild (swap LED, etc) for me, or help me do it.

Kinda sucks, but I guess I now have a reason to order a new L1 :oops:

I sent a message to Surefire about if I can get a new head, or what not... I'm sure the new L1 head probably won't work on the old body, and the likely hood of SF having a spare is pretty low...

Sigh, well it was one of my more favorite EDC lights...

Any suggestions of what I can do? Fix it, swap it, etc... I work for a Dealer and a new one would cost me under $100, so it's not worth spending too much money on.

See bellow for newest help in rebuilding, post #12

Last edited:

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Split the optic on my L1

I tried opening the head of my L1 today, after a friend had showed me he opened his up, and swapped the LED (think he did a Seoul) his was way flood, not much spot, but he messed the anodizing up a bit... so I thought I'd spend just a couple minutes and see if I could open it without any damage...

While I did not get it open, I did succeed in not hurting the anodizing, but did split the lens clean in half, with a couple little spurs... It's still inside, and usable, in fact you can't see any thing in the beam, except really up close, however I know it likely won't last, and probably will leak if it gets wet.

I've got a message into him to see if he can either finish opening it up, and fix it, make it reflector, or do a full rebuild (swap LED, etc) for me, or help me do it.

Kinda sucks, but I guess I now have a reason to order a new L1 :oops:

I sent a message to Surefire about if I can get a new head, or what not... I'm sure the new L1 head probably won't work on the old body, and the likely hood of SF having a spare is pretty low...

Sigh, well it was one of my more favorite EDC lights...

Any suggestions of what I can do? Fix it, swap it, etc... I work for a Dealer and a new one would cost me under $100, so it's not worth spending too much money on.

Get it Milky modded! ;)

Willabbott

Newly Enlightened

That is a possibility I suppose, whats the best source of information on the mod and cost?

Braddah_Bill

Enlightened

I would send it to Milky.......

My Milky L1 is one of my most used lights.

Bill

Willabbott

Newly Enlightened

I may have to check into that... might wait to see what my friend says, as he's done his L1, along with other Surefires... but after looking a little at Milkys thread, might be a neat way to go, sounds like he can help me make it however I want, spot or flood, etc.

Willabbott

Newly Enlightened

Thanks all for the input... I sent Milky a PM, seems there is quite a variety of ways he can mod an L1 head... I'm not sure what I would want him to do to mine for me, He's going to love me, cause I'll probably have a heck of a time making up my mind on what I want to do :)

scottaw

Enlightened

Ok, everyone beat me to Milky, and i totally agree, but you could also ask Milky is he has any old optics around, im sure he does, just a nice easy swap for you.

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast

Milky is the man. He has done 3 of my SF's, and I will not hesitate to have hime work on more when the opportunity arises.

[SIZE=+1]Milky L1 gen3 Smoothie[/SIZE]

Seoul SSCP4 USWOH emitter, hand-tested for optimal L1 compatibility
Smooth 20mm reflector
Ultra-clear flat lens (if needed)
Tailcap resistance recalibrated as appropriate

Milky L1 TIR

CREE Q4 WC emitter, hand-tested for optimal L1 compatibility
Stock circuit replaced with a Madmax Plus Circuit
Stock TIR Optic - Focusable
Tailcap resistance recalibrated to 3 to 5 lumen low
Rechargeable friendly

[SIZE=+1]Milky L2[/SIZE]

Seoul SSCP4 USWOH emitter, hand-tested for optimal L2 compatibility
Circuit capsule rebuilt using SOB1000 regulator
Tailcap resistance recalibrated for good high/low beam ratio

Here are a few shots of the lights Scott worked on for me...

dsc00031vl4.jpg

dsc00068vs0.jpg

dsc00041ag0.jpg

dsc00045cf5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Willabbott

Newly Enlightened

Ok, so I messed around with it some more, and finally got the head open, I messed up the anodizing some, but oh well. The lens fell out in about 3 pieces, yuck.

So what do I need to rebuild this? What size/model reflector (and where do I find it) and what size lens and again where to find it... I thought I recalled reading it's the IMS20 Reflector, which I've found on Sandwich Shoppe, but not sure about the lens, or if that is the right reflector

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will, my apologies but I fell asleep on the couch last night before replying to your PM... it was still open in my browser tab as recently as a few minutes ago! :ohgeez: So my reply might be a little bit out of date but I do hope to help you in some way, and offered a possible barter that would save you any out-of-pocket cost. Hope we can work something out and it would be my pleasure to help however I'm able. Also included my phone number, call anytime if that's easier for you.

BTW, congrats on getting the head opened! It's one of the tougher heads to get unlocked, that's a real achievement. :thumbsup:

Willabbott

Newly Enlightened
No worries man. Reply sent, not the answer you were hoping for I know, but perhaps something that might still benefit you. You ain't lying, I did manage to goober it up some, but mainly due to not realizing my pliers were slipping off my protective rubber until it was too late... DOH! oh well, looks like good use, it had been dropped on it's head a few times already :)

Sometimes I wonder why I say certain things, but in hindsight it was a valid and real point I made in the issue at hand... hopefully the alternative I presented can help you and other CPF members get some really cool lights at better prices than previously available :)

From what I've been reading, and hearing, I'd love to have you do the mod, even though I've now gotten it open... I know roughly what it would cost to do it myself, however understand that you have better sources for parts than I do, know what fits, works, etc... and also know what kind of results to expect from what configuration, where as I would be just assembling and hoping for the desired result :) Well worth paying a bit more to get over what it would cost to do myself...

I gave you my # too, in case that is easier, tonight was easier for me to type ;)

Last edited: