what makes the L1 and better than the G2l or 6PL ?

Saiga

Enlightened
sure, it looks way cool, and it has a better finish and the 2nd (lower) level. but still, it's price is roughly twice ( the average of) the other two surefires, it's less bright, and has a fraction of the run time? what am i missing ?
by the way, this ain't a L1 bash thread, i own the other two lights, and have been considering the L1 till these questions occured to me.

edit : of course, i meant to type "...ANY better than the G2L or 6PL? "

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
I wonder the same thing battery differences aside. But I know sooner or later I'll be getting the L1 anyway. I have decided to not fight it.
Edit : didn't know they were different led's!

Last edited:

supes

Enlightened
Your talking about apples and oranges.

L1 - 1XCR123a light, 2 stage LOW & HIGH, smaller, more throw, Cree LED
G2L/6PL - 2XCR123a light, momentary on/off,economical/beginning line Seoul LED(bluer tints, at least the ones I've seen)

The only way to find out for yourself is to try the L1 in person. The beam profile is also different. Its a personal preference like just about everything else.

BTW, you can edit your title in the Advance mode.

brightspot

Newly Enlightened
I think your comparing apples to oranges, you say that the L1 is not as bright and less runtime of course not, one cell light compared to two. I have all three lights mentioned I like them all just different uses for each.

lightemup

Flashaholic*
IMHO the new Cree L1 has closed the difference in the 'apples versus oranges' stakes brightness and beam wise.

The older L1 for me was a more general purpose light (sitting on the nightstand etc), but the Cree L1 can stand on its own legs as far as I am concerned. Before when I had the g2z sitting next to the L1, I don't need that anymore under most circumstances.

On top of that the benefit of only using one battery, two stages of output and alot smaller, if I was to recommend a quintessential Surefire it would be hard to go past the Cree L1 :)

I also have an E1e that is great, but i've got bigger hands and the new L1 is just big enough that makes it more ergonomic for me. I've just got an A2 and haven't had a chance to try carrying that, but the Cree L1 has served me very well so far. My L4 is starting to collect dust ;) I suspect the A2 is going to be too long for my liking in my pocket.

I must admit at the same time i've got two p60l's (the led module in the G2L and 6PL): one in a g2z and one in a z2 with a 6pd bezel. Like Brightspot said these also have their use, and I like them just as much as my L1 Cree.

ja10

Enlightened
sure, it looks way cool, and it has a better finish and the 2nd (lower) level. but still, it's price is roughly twice ( the average of) the other two surefires, it's less bright, and has a fraction of the run time? what am i missing ?
by the way, this ain't a L1 bash thread, i own the other two lights, and have been considering the L1 till these questions occured to me.

edit : of course, i meant to type "...ANY better than the G2L or 6PL? "

Also, keep in mind that the output of the G2L/6PL drops rather quickly.