G2 Nitro to G2 LED?

jesse485

Newly Enlightened
First time poster here, love my G2 Nitro, but don't really like the 1 hr battery life. I looked at the Surefire website for the first time in who knows how long to find there is now an LED version of my light with 12 hour battery life. 15 more lumens too, but I am much more concerned with the 12x longer life. I'm not really in the market for a new light, and I am not parting with my G2 since I have done some "personalization" (paracord) to make it truly mine. So is there any way to get the LED head without a new flashlight, or are the internal parts non-compatible between the two? If this is a possible conversion, where are some good places to buy the assembly from, I can't seem to locate any online vendor. Thanks a ton, your forum seems to be pretty awesome. -Jesse

Willabbott

Newly Enlightened
The story is that surefire will offer the LED bulb (it looks just like the P60 in the G2 already) next month... Be forewarned however, it's not going to be full brightness for the 12hours, it tapers off at around 3 I think it is... there is a thread around here somewhere with a true runtime plot of it...

I just picked up the G2LED from work, as I didn't know the bulb was coming out when I got it, and did not yet have a G2 (darn, wanted a tan one, only black is currently available, oh well, will buy a Tan G2 later then) and it is nice, though not the best tint, or the brightest of light, but for the price I think pretty decent... The P60L (the LED replacement) is rumored to cost around $36 when it becomes available.

JPasquini

Newly Enlightened
Hi Jesse.

:welcome:

I'm a bit of a lurker here myself, but I'm slowly progressing from the status of flashlight newbie to more of a flashlight neophyte.

The G2 takes a P60/P61 lamp assembly. In addition, there are a slew of both incandescent and LED drop-in manufacturers and suppliers for the G2/6P chassis. For LEDs, take a look at this thread: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/173764

That being said, I've just placed an order for a Malkoff P60 drop-in for myself. This will be my first non-surefire assembly, but from what I've read on both CPF and over at AR15.com, it probably won't be my last.

Hope this helps a little...

Joe

lightemup

Flashaholic*
+1 to Will on a couple of things :) :
1. The cpfer who did the runtime chart is Chevrofreak.
2. I also wish the g2L came in tan body, i'd probably have 3 now ;)
3. The p60L should be available separately around Christmas time. The way I look at buying the G2L is i'm buying the p60L and pretty much getting a free (or at least a good bargain ;) ) G2 .

I know led tints can vary, but I can only say good things about the tints and brightness of my two P60L's (the led module in the g2l and 6pl).

My yardstick with the p60L is this: If you like the p60 beam, the p60L will impress, and certainly provide increased performance in runtime, a bit more bright, and no bulbs to burn out / technically impervious to shock. I originally bought the G2L as a general use / car emergency light, but I am seriously considering replacing the p61 in my g2z with the p60L because of the other features relating to the led.

One practical advantage that springs to mind is I had two sf123's that didn't have enough power to light up my g2 properly. I threw the same batteries in the g2 led, and presto, nice and bright again. For how long i'm not sure, but definitely an advantage. Likewise if you have an older non-LOTC (lock out tailcap) version of the g2, for me the LOTC upgrade has made me started properly using my g2's :)

Willabbott

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, didn't mean to sound like it's a bad tint... I actually tend to like the slightly blue (typical led) tints anyways. the light I used for comparisson when I got it was a Gladius, which has a bit more yellow/white tint compared to the G2, the G2 is about as equal off white I'd say, but more to the blue... the gladius seems a bit brighter though, but the G2 has the tighter hotspot...

I like them all, I wasn't really disapointed with my G2L, just not quite what I was expecting, I guess I expected it to be a bit brighter... but it deffinately seems comparable to the standard P60 only in LED, though I may pull it, and put it into one of my 6P's instead.

lightemup

Flashaholic*
That is very interesting, I also compared it to my gladius. I find my Gladius has a tighter (and a bit brighter) hotspot than my p60L's and my p60L's have a bigger hotspot, bit brighter sidespill.

Tint wise between the Gladius and p60l's they're all very white but if I was nailed down I would describe them as being a more bluish tint than yellow.... Ah well the joys of the luxeon lottery :)

Dr.Glock27

Newly Enlightened
Im sorry to say this but I really didnt like my G2L. After 4 minutes of continuous use, the G2L would suddenly switch to a lower mode. I think its supposed to be a safety feature. I think the Nitrolon is not a very good material for LED flashlights. I tried using the Ultrafire LED head for around 6 minutes until I got worried about the heat that was building up at the head part of my G2. When I removed the ultrafire head, I burned my finger. It was that HOT! So I decided to put a 9V 320 lumen incan from Lumens Factory instead and used RCR123s. Im happy with my setup now. Would have been cheaper to get a plain G2:sigh:

wishywashy7

Enlightened
hello there. one cheap solution to an the heat production of an LED in the G2 that i am currently running is to use a metal bezel. I agree that it would look weird at first but it grows on you because the stock bezel was never good looking to begin with anyway:wave:

jbviau

Enlightened
I'm not sure a metal bezel would help much as opposed to a metal body. I've read that most of the heat generated by an LED builds up behind the emitter, so you should really only expect heat to be transferred to the body where the emitter/drop-in is actually in contact with metal. Has your experience been different, wishywashy?

Scourie

Enlightened
I'm a little bit concerned about running a high power LED in my G2, so I've installed a 4 mode drop-in (low-med-high-strobe), sourced from Ebay. At least I can now run at a lower power until high is needed.

Rob