Energizer Hardcase Tactical Flashlight

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anybody have this light?

Energizer Hard Case Tactical Flashlight. Uses a High Intensity 3 Watt White Led.

Optics Planet

612-500-14c.jpg

Last edited:

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
ernsanada,
I did a review on one several months ago, but the photos are lost. It is a very lightweight tough swivel head light. It is not particularly bright light (main beam) but it runs for 7 hours (energizer's claims) on 2AA lithiums.

It is well built and feels like it will survive a lot of abuse. It also has nice near silent click switches. I will dig mine out tonight. Brightness of the main beam is between a 2 and 3 AA MMag led. The IR led can be seen if the room is pitch black and you are looking directly at the led from a couple of feet or less. It can stay on constantly or flash. The clip is VERY robust and the red, blue and main beam can all be on at the same time.

If I get a new digicam in a week or so, I will post some new shots...unless you get one and review it.

brad

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks everybody!

Woodrow,

Were you able to get access to the Led?

Does it look easy to mod?

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
$79.99 seems a little pricey when the Streamlight Sidewinder is available for $50.00.Is the Energizer available at a lower price somewhere else?

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
$79.99 seems a little pricey when the Streamlight Sidewinder is available for $50.00.Is the Energizer available at a lower price somewhere else?

Yeah, I've been looking at this for months now...I'm hoping someone well sell this thing for a better price than the $70-$80 price range.

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have both the Energizer Hard Case Tactical and the SL Sidewinder. I've said this before and I'll say it again...I'll take the Hard Case over the Sidewinder any day, and twice on Sundays! First of all, there's no comparison between the two with the main beam. The Hard Case uses a luxI (it's NOT a luxIII), and the Sidewinder uses what appears to be a Nichia Rigel. The optic of the Sidewinder gives a very limited-use beam, IMHO. All spot and very little spill. I replaced the optic on mine with a cut down IMS20 reflector, and the beam is MUCH more useable. On my particular Sidewinder, the light "pulses" or flickers noticeably on the lowest two levels. I sent it back to SL with a note explaining the problem, and received it back from them about three weeks later, STILL doing the same thing. Oh, yeah...there WAS a little tag attached to it that said something like "functions properly" on one side, and "Agree, no problems found" on the other side. Needless to say, it's STILL pulsing on the lowest two levels...and it's not just noticeable when "white wall hunting". So much for SL's "heralded" CS :rolleyes:

Also, the colored LED's on the Energizer are FAR superior to the colored LED's on the Sidewinder. The Sidewinder uses what I consider to be the most artifact filled colored LED's I've ever seen. I know that artifacts are common for colored 5mm LED's, but the Sidewinder takes it to a new level. They're AWFUL! The Hard Case on the other hand has some of the BEST colored 5mm LED's I've ever seen! VERY few artifacts, and very bright. The Sidewinder does have some useful features that the Hard Case doesn't; adjustable levels and flashing mode. I use neither. IMHO, the Hard Case is simply a better light. Brighter, heftier, better LED's. I bought both lights at Bass Pro Shop. While I do agree that the Hard Case was a bit pricey at $79.99 plus tax, it IS a very robust utility light that immediately found a home in the center console of my truck. I haven't tried to take it apart to see how easy an emitter swap would be...I'll leave that to our esteemed modders who know what the hell they're doing. I'm not comfortable taking an $80 light apart just to "see" if a swap is possible!

IMHO, the Hard case Tactical is a VERY good utility light! Tough, bright enough for most tasks, excellent colored LED's, good run-time (mine's still on the first set of lithium AA's, and I "play" with the light quite a bit), built like a tank! I like it; YMMV...

Edit: One more thing: I just read the Bass Pro link on the Hard Case Tactical. Like most retailers, they DID put some misinformation in their ad. It says that the Hard Case Tactical uses a "high intensity 3W LED for 90 lumens". The package on my Hard Case Tactical CLEARLY said "1 Watt". Also, there's NO WAY it's putting out 90 lumens. I don't have a light meter or a "light box" apparatus, but after 5 1/2 years on CPF and having owned HUNDREDS of lights, I know what 90 lumens looks like. IMHO, the Hard Case is putting out somewhere in the 40-50 lumen range. Easily bright enough for most tasks, but again, it's NOT putting out 90 lumens. Also, the reflector in the Hard Case does an EXCELLENT job of focusing the luxI into a very nice spot with excellent spill. FYI...

PJD

Last edited:

Germ

Enlightened
PJD, can you give various pictures of both lights with other things in for scale? I'm having a hard time picturing how big the Energizer is. If you could show the IR button on the Energizer too, that'd be great. Beamshots too if you have them.

As usual it sounds like I want to mix and match aspects of each light. I think I like the form factor of the Sidewinder better. It looks like it would lay flatter if clipped to your chest. I also like the intermediate light settings of the Sidewinder (someone did say the Energizer has no intermediate settings, right?).

I'd want the LED's from the Energizer and the momentary button ability for flashing.

I'm not sure about the interfaces for either lights. Changing modes on the Sidewinder sounds awkward. I don't like how the Energizer has buttons all over.

Does anyone know if either light is regulated?

Both lights sound neat, but seem wanting. Must... resist... urge... to buy :devil:

Last edited:

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, Germ! Sorry, but I don't own a digi-cam, so I'm unable to post pics of any kind. I can give you some size differences for reference, however. With the head of the Hard Case pivoted up (like a "regular" flashlight), it's approximately 2" longer than a standard MiniMag. With the head pivoted forward (angle-head position), it's approx 1 1/4" longer than a MiniMag.

The Hard Case doesn't have adjustable brightness settings, just multiple colors and IR. All of the switches except for the IR switch are silent forward clicky switches. For the IR switch, refer to ernsnada's photo above. There's a rotating ring just above the heel of the light, and a sliding lock on the back of the heel. Simply slide the lock down and rotate the IR switch to the "on" position. By using the main beam's on/off switch, you can cycle the IR between constant on and flash. The switch for the main beam is on the base of the light. There's not much tactile feed-back on the switches, but for a "tactical" style utility light, there's not supposed to be.

All colors (except for IR) can be turned on either individually or all at once. Since I primarily use mine in the angle-head position, I sorta wish the main beam switch was on the front of the light like the colored LED switches, instead of on the bottom. For a 2XAA light, the Hard Case is somewhat bulky, but it's very lightweight and extremely "tough".

To me (and I'm sure others will have a different opinion), the Sidewinder was a total disappointment; from the quality (or lack thereof...) of the 5mm LEDs, to the ackward way of changing the color of the LEDs, to the virtually useless beam of the white LED's stock optic. If you're wearing gloves, rotating the switch to change the color of the LED can be a real PITA! From a "size" standpoint, I'm sure a lot of folks will prefer the Sidewinder. In the angle-head position it's approximately half the length of the Hard Case, and can fit in a hip pocket quite easily. Again, to ME, that's the ONLY advantage the Sidewinder has over the Hard Case. Given my "d'ruthers", I'd rather be toting the Hard Case on my belt than the Sidewinder in my pocket. Also, on the main beam the Hard Case is EASILY (...and I mean EASILY!) twice as bright as the Sidewinder, and has a much better tint. The Hard Case's tint is a nice warm white, while the Sidewinder has a VERY noticeable blue tint. Last of all, the Sidewinder has no capability for "signaling"/temporary light. The light's either turned on, or it's turned off. To me, that's a MUST for a "tactical" style light.

If it sounds like I'm a "little" biased towards the Hard Case, it's because I AM! IMHO, it's simply a superior light in almost every aspect. YMMV...

PJD

Last edited:

Germ

Enlightened
PJD, thanks for the excellent insight from the man who has both. You have saved me some money, and better yet, the dissappointment of buying a light I don't like.

Now, go get a digital camera ;)

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
ernsanada, as to your question of led access. There are several screws holding the light together...but I think the final piece would have to be pried apart...not sure though. This thing really is built like a tank...but light though. Here are some quick pics I took tonight.

1802879356_23cf7db3d0_o.jpg

1802879090_0f5d97e40d_o.jpg

Germ, hopefully that gives you an idea of scale. The red and blue leds work by silent clickies on the front. The main beam can be turned on by a silent clicky at the bottom of the light. I took a couple of pics of the IR selector switch. Here they are...

1802036859_180cf22688_o.jpg

1802037089_8be59b162e_o.jpg

1802037355_c35b5c09e5_o.jpg

Finally, here is a crude beamshot with some other AA lights...

1802880290_5e90473c39_o.jpg

From left to right: Energizer Hardcase, MMagled 3AA, Teralux Rebel 2AA, and the SL SurvivorLED.

Sorry about the non-perfect beamshot....I just got the camera tonight and I have not figured out its optimum settings yet.

As for the lights tested. The SurvivorLED and the Hardcase are the ones most likely to survive a drop off a cliff. The SurvivorLED is the brighter of the two, but runs for 3 hours on 4 AA batts. The hardcase runs for 7 on 2(lithium) and has all the other leds as well. Again, the light would be a welcome addition to any camping trip or a good emergency light for in the car. It really feels like some time and engineering went into it to justify the $79.00

Mine can also be found in the b/s/t section.

Last edited:

Skibane

Enlightened
I really wish they'd also offer a version in a similar package that just has a single, dimmable 3 watt white LED - for roughly half the price.

The basic design is VERY cool - but honestly, how often do you need an IR strobe?

wwglen

Enlightened
I talked to an energizer rep a couple months ago at Marine South Expo (Camp Lejeune NC).

He said they would be going to a CREE led in the near future.

No Idea what Near Future means though.

wwglen

Ctechlite

Enlightened
I talked to an energizer rep a couple months ago at Marine South Expo (Camp Lejeune NC).

He said they would be going to a CREE led in the near future.

No Idea what Near Future means though.

wwglen

I saw a cree version sans IR led ( I'm sure it had 1 green and maybe two red 5mm leds) at Lowes yesterday 11/11/2007 for about $40.

WDR65

Enlightened
I saw a cree version sans IR led ( I'm sure it had 1 green and maybe two red 5mm leds) at Lowes yesterday 11/11/2007 for about $40.

That sounds pretty good. I'll have to go look tomorrow. I almost bought it at Bass Pro Shops a few weeks ago, but I had no use for the IR led.