L2P gone! L2T/V2.0 or L2D RB100?

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just gave my L2P to my sister, big brother always gives the good stuff. Need to get new Fenix unit before Thanksgiving road trip. I'm eying both the L2D RB100 and the L2T/V2.0. To anybody whose got one, how are they to handle? Can you work all these levels with one hand? And then there's the thermal question and how it's handled?

This is going to be the last one for 2007.

chiphead

paulr

Flashaholic
It's a matter of personal preference and subject of many flame fests, however I don't like either of the new versions (L2Tv2 or L2Dxx). The digital interface is just a PITA in my opinion, and both the new L2 lights are uglier than the original L2P because of that thin section in the middle. I don't like the twist bezel that much (nothing wrong with the concept, it just feels floppy in execution, at least on the digital model) or the tail pushbutton. I liked my L1p a lot (gave it away like you did your L2P). They had a great concept and messed it up with not-so-beneficial "improvements". They should have just upgraded the led and left the rest alone.

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a matter of personal preference and subject of many flame fests, however I don't like either of the new versions (L2Tv2 or L2Dxx). The digital interface is just a PITA in my opinion, and both the new L2 lights are uglier than the original L2P because of that thin section in the middle. I don't like the twist bezel that much (nothing wrong with the concept, it just feels floppy in execution, at least on the digital model) or the tail pushbutton. I liked my L1p a lot (gave it away like you did your L2P). They had a great concept and messed it up with not-so-beneficial "improvements". They should have just upgraded the led and left the rest alone.
I've noticed a lot of company going with more bells and whistles instead of just making it better. Which begs the question; why is there a headlight on a vaccum cleaner? Just improve the vaccum power instead! Good point.
chiphead

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got both more or less, actually a L2D100 and a L1Tv2. I've tried them with swapped bodies. Depends what you want. The L2D100 is a lot brighter and has all the swiss army knife functionality. The L2Tv2 has the tactical forward clicky and a simple two level design. Yeah you need two hands to twist the head unless you want to bite down hard on it. If that's really a big problem, there's a lot of other great flashlights like Novatac, and Surefire. All flashlights have design trade offs. The L2D100 is the brighter, and it doesn't seem to run hot at all. Only had it get warm in my use. Don't know if the Q5 runs as cool. Yeah, the L2D body is butt ugly, but surprisingly I got used to it. All those level shifts make for ledges for your fingers to latch on to. I think it must have been designed by someone with small hands, but it still works pretty well for me. It's real slippery though, so I put a bike inner tube on mine to rubberize the grip.

Last edited:

Xeper

Newly Enlightened
i also wtb the l2t/v2.0 or the l2d rb100 because i need a new one on my care. for emergency situations, the l2d rebel is great with the strobo and sos mode.

is there a danger because of the two aa batteries in terms of exploding like the past cases with two lithium cells?

thanks

Last edited:

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got both more or less, actually a L2D100 and a L1Tv2. I've tried them with swapped bodies. Depends what you want. The L2D100 is a lot brighter and has all the swiss army knife functionality. The L2Tv2 has the tactical forward clicky and a simple two level design. Yeah you need two hands to twist the head unless you want to bite down hard on it. If that's really a big problem, there's a lot of other great flashlights like Novatac, and Surefire. All flashlights have design trade offs. The L2D100 is the brighter, and it doesn't seem to run hot at all. Only had it get warm in my use. Don't know if the Q5 runs as cool. Yeah, the L2D body is butt ugly, but surprisingly I got used to it. All those level shifts make for ledges for your fingers to latch on to. I think it must have been designed by someone with small hands, but it still works pretty well for me. It's real slippery though, so I put a bike inner tube on mine to rubberize the grip.
Nothing is perfect and I'll take practical of beauty any day when my backsides are hanging out!

chiphead

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
i also wtb the l2t/v2.0 or the l2d rb100 because i need a new one on my care. for emergency situations, the l2d rebel is great with the strobo and sos mode.

is there a danger because of the two aa batteries in terms of exploding like the past cases with two lithium cells?

thanks
I think the flash point on the lithiums is far to high. I keep 20 or so around when it get (40F)cold.

chiphead

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Either one would be great. I've heard both have the possibly annoying flash when starting up on low. the L2T V2.0 will be simpler and cheaper but the L2D-Rebel 100 or the slightly brighter Q5 version are brighter the the L2T V2.0. I've found level changing easy and don't mind the extra level.

The digital series resets after 2 seconds of off and will start at the beginning of the sequence after two seconds of off time.

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Either one would be great. I've heard both have the possibly annoying flash when starting up on low. the L2T V2.0 will be simpler and cheaper but the L2D-Rebel 100 or the slightly brighter Q5 version are brighter the the L2T V2.0. I've found level changing easy and don't mind the extra level.

The digital series resets after 2 seconds of off and will start at the beginning of the sequence after two seconds of off time.
I'm a suck for anything with a "chip" in it. I guess that I'm still single after all these years. I'm going to Lighthound tonight as they're close to (Austin)home.

chiphead

ingokl

Newly Enlightened

Stromberg

Enlightened
What is best for you depends of your personal requirements for the torch. I'd go with the L2T for few reasons:
- Cheaper and not considerably dimmer than P2D
- Clicky with momentary on
- Simpler UI(no annoying "blinkers" which are utterly useless to me)

I also don't have any problem with twisting head level selector because I never need to adjust the brightness with one hand.

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got my new L1T V2.0, this thing is so bad ***! This is my first flashlight with >60 lumen output. One more and that it for 2007! Yeah...right.

chiphead

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm kind of waiting for an L2T V2.0 with HA natural/olive drab finish and a Rebel 100 or Cree R2 emitter.

Not really interested in the other models.

SafetyBob

Enlightened
I have played with a couple of the L2D CE's that I got for Christmas presents (don't worry, I don't think they read this forum) and also played with the P3D CE that I got for myself too, and for now I don't mind the two handed dimming and stuff, but I can really appreciate a single clicker on the end that might have a low-med-high-turbo selection vs all this turning and clicking. I think I am about ready to build one from scratch with that kind of electronic control, but it sure would be nice to assemble one from parts or purchase one.

Like many have said on different threads. I think we are still in the early years of LED flashlights. Sooner or later, the engineers and designers of these flashlights will find this forum and start reading about what people want and then will bring better flashlights to the marketplace for all to enjoy.

I think some nicely written letters to Surefire and other quality makers of these flashlights will produce the clicker options we want. It will just take time to get through executive approval and R&D.

Bob E.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are some manufacturers who do monitor these forums (Tiablo, DeReelight, others) and listen to their users. It's just that for the most part, us Flashoholics are an extremely small portion of the customer base for such larger companies as Surefire or others with large contracts. I do think that yes, one day, as high-powered L.E.D. flashlights become ever more the norm, other companies will come into the fold, and begin taking us into account.

Latest posts