Instead of a Malkoff drop in, what else?

ICspots

Newly Enlightened
Okay since it seems getting a Malkoff drop in will never happen due high demand and little supply, what else is there? After weeks of waiting for some to become available, only a small handfull were put up for sale. 14 M60 Q2's, 11 D Mags, and 6C Mag prototypes for sale were released yesterday according to the email I got from Gene.
It's exactly what I want/need, but they go too quickly. What else would you recommend that comes close, 240 lumens, 6 hours runtime, sub $100? I don't care what batteries it requires. Will pretty much have to LED to get the runtime. Any suggestions?

EDIT: And it doesn't have to be a drop in, could be a new light altogether.

ICspots

Newly Enlightened
what light are you looking to mod

Well I have a 3 D cell Mag that someone here suggested I get a Malkoff dropin for, but after weeks of waiting only a small handful was produced. I am looking for something comparable to Gene's dropin for the Mags, except it doesn't have to be a mod. I want the same or similar specs as Gene's dropin, 240 lumens, 6 hours runtime, battery types don't matter. Mod or no mod, new light is okay too, just want something as good or better. Willing to go over $100 too.
IMO Gene is losing tons of sales for not keeping these in stock, people get tired of waiting and start to look elsewhere, which is what I am doing. Not going to waste any more time waiting, will instead use the time to find something else.
It's all about supply and demand. Low supply, high demand= $$$$$
I wished I was in the position that Gene is, I would be rich soon!

JamisonM

Enlightened
Guys, You can do something like Gene's drop-in, but it might end up costing you a little bit more then his drop-in. Here's are some examples of what I'm talking about.
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?p=2057789
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=144921
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=163902
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/166995
http://www.nickleplated.com/magmod/index.html
Gene's also stated that he hopes to have his drop-ins available in a larger supply latter this year; before christmas if I remember correctly, but don't quote me on it.

IMO Gene is losing tons of sales for not keeping these in stock, people get tired of waiting and start to look elsewhere, which is what I am doing. Not going to waste any more time waiting, will instead use the time to find something else.
It's all about supply and demand. Low supply, high demand= $$$$$
I wished I was in the position that Gene is, I would be rich soon!
I don't think Gene makes a great deal of money off his drop-ins. In fact, he's been selling them for less then his usual price for a while now. I purchased two of his drop-ins for $75 each back during july. Since then, they have been on sale for $65 and now have shot up to $69. Still, look for something else that has the same performance and ease of use. I've looked and the only thing I've seen are mods, but I'm always on the outlook.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, maybe not quite what you are looking for, but a darn nice light for you to check out anyway:

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=170818

It gets the most runtime with the 18650 cell, but would only run at 600 mAh. Probably slightly less run time with either CR123 or RCR123 cells, but it would then run at 1000 mAh, so with the Q5 it should be one bright son-of-a-gun.

Or, here is a nice new P60 drop-in suitable for something like a Surefire 9P or 6P host body. Total price for the drop-in and light should be just around $100 if you shop around a bit:

http://www.bugoutgearusa.com/crq5drmo.html

The 9P body would give you more runtime. Good luck with your quest, and don't give up on Gene just yet. He's a good guy and I've got a feeling he is hustling as fast as he can to get his drop-in modules out to us.

donn_

Flashaholic
I've been waiting a few weeks to get Gene's D-cell drop-in, too. I got an M60 for my SF 6PD, and it's a great piece of work.

Yesterday afternoon, I happened to be sitting at my PC when the email came. I ordered mine instantly, and got confirmation. 2-and-a-half hours later all the stock was spoken for. I'm doing two 3D's, one with each type of reflector.

jaymasta

Newly Enlightened
Iam in the same position as all of you, been waiting for a few weeks, checking website daily, signed up for his notifications, get a notification and I got all excited went to order 2 of them, and there all gone :mecry:, anyways Iam also thinking of moving on to something else, as stated above anything around $100 give or take is fine, want really good ouput 240+ lm, I would personally prefer C or D batterys....

Gene43

Enlightened
I really appreciate all the fine people I have met and the late night and early morning phone calls. I mean it! This is Great!

I know it is frustrating for people, but I really feel I am close to increasing production. If I am making you nuts please note that you are in good company (mine).

Thanks, Gene Malkoff

democopy

Newly Enlightened
I have missed out on Gene's last two offers and this looks interesting to me.

Dereelight: 1-stage Q5 module for Surefire Light, 1x18650, 2xCR123A, 2xRCR123 module, constant output 3.8~8.4V. $25 shipped

Bushman5

Enlightened
I really appreciate all the fine people I have met and the late night and early morning phone calls. I mean it! This is Great!

I know it is frustrating for people, but I really feel I am close to increasing production. If I am making you nuts please note that you are in good company (mine).

Thanks, Gene Malkoff
hahaha, i think you sold out about 2 minutes after you emailed us, :crackup: Your like the Ticketmaster of the flashlight world :laughing::D:grin2::p:crackup:;)

Cheers Gene and Family!

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
hahaha, i think you sold out about 2 minutes after you emailed us, :crackup: Your like the Ticketmaster of the flashlight world :laughing::D:grin2::p:crackup:;)

Cheers Gene and Family!
Yeah I swear people sign up with their crackberry email address, then crash to nearest computer when the magic letter comes.

jbosman1013

Enlightened
yes, it may be hard to get a malkoff but trust me you really want it. I have had my M60 in a SF C2 for almost 2 weeks now and it is by far the best of the best of the best with honors... sir. sign up for the news (if you havent already) and watch you email and while you are waiting buy a few surefires
evilgrin07.gif

Bloodnut

Newly Enlightened
There is a very good reason why Gene's drop-ins sell out so quickly - they are as good or better, than advertised. Not to mention that if you have a problem, Gene's gonna make it right. He's a one-man show and stays as busy as a one-legged man in a butt kickin' contest. If folks need to move on to some other product, do what you gotta do. But I hope no one faults Gene for his success.

Edited to add: He is fully aware of the frustration some may feel, there is simply at this time, not much he can do about it.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
You know, I think I'll wait till Gene put THIS LED in his drop in.

For those of you are too lazy to click, it's newest LED from SSC, "420 lumens at 600 mA at maximum and 350 lumens at average"

ICspots

Newly Enlightened

Thanks, Gene Malkoff

Well I have to admit finding something comparable to your dropins isn't an easy task. And yes I am going a bit nuts; knowing I am in good company does make me feel better though.
Patience, anyone know what this means? How fast can you teach me patience? :sick2:

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
heres a secret...dont wait for the email just check his site directly every chance you get and sneak in .....theres no other drop in better , you can build one but it wont be a drop in that you can put in other mags and you risk screwing it up, + the driver hes using is awesome