Fenix P2D CE - Internal Current Leakage ?

tsia

Newly Enlightened
Hi Everyone, I have noticed some problems with my Fenix P2D CE :( and would like to ask the users here if anyone as seen the same problem. I have got the P2D CE a few months ago and loves this light. I have another LOD CE which is my EDC and uses the P2D CE only when I go overseas as a backup. I keep the light with it's battery in it after a few weeks and only takes it out to use when I need it. But the problem now is that after 2 weeks a fresh battery in it would not work anymore and I did a battery change and it works agin. I don't have a multi-meter so I'm not sure if the battery is dead or not. But poping in a fresh battery make it work again so I assume the battery left in the P2D CE is dead. This has happened to me the 3rd time already, therefore I'm thinking that there's some internal leakage of current in the flashlight even when it's off that's draining the perfectly new battery flat in about 2-3 weeks. I know that I can loosen the tailcap to completely off the light, but sometimes I would forget. I didn't buy this flashlight from Fenix store therefore don't think I can sent it to be checked or repaired. Is there any problem with this light or it's just normal ? Kindly advise if has anyone faced with problem before ? Thanks!

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I just posed a similar question in another Fenix thread. I asked if the P1D circuit was PWM and drawing power from the battery when the light was off. My question was relative to venting issues with Fenix lights.

Bill

tsia

Newly Enlightened
Do you mean the batteries venting ? I Think it is possible if the battery is being drained in the long term.

Last edited:

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since the clicky Fenixes have a separate switch in the tail, there is no way that it can "leak" current when off unless the switch has some sort of short in it. Try storing your light with the tailcap unscrewed a little to absolutely break the circuit and see if the "leakage" continues. If it still does and isn't some unrelated battery deterioriation issue, then you'll really have a case for the Twilight Zone...

tsia

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the reply, I have a idea I do have 2 spare Tailcaps for P2D spare body and L1T V2.0. Hmmm guess I would have to change a tailcap and monitor again :) Will keep everyone updated. Thanks again.

JackHays

Newly Enlightened
tsia, the tailcaps may not be interchangeable between the P2D and the LXX series, but you can swap the switch itself!

Use a pair of needlenose pliers or scissors to stick in the two holes in the ring in the tailcap, and unscrew it. After that, you can remove the switch assembly and the rubber button (just remember what order the parts go in!). You can then swap the switches.

Last edited:

tsia

Newly Enlightened
tsia, the tailcaps may not be interchangeable between the P2D and the LXX series, but you can swap the switch itself!

Use a pair of needlenose pliers or scissors to stick in the two holes in the ring in the tailcap, and unscrew it. After that, you can remove the switch assembly and the rubber button (just remember what order the parts go in!). You can then swap the switches.
Thanks seems like it's the O-ring does anyone have a pic of the location before I start to take it apart :whistle: My company sells O-rings so I shouldn't have any problem getting a O-ring to replace it.

scottaw

Enlightened
My first two fenix batteries lasted 2 and 3 months respectively, my 3rd (a different brand batt) only lasted about 10 days. I lubricated the threads when i put #3 in, think that has anything to do with it? We'll see how batt #4 lasts.

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received a P3D for testing a while back that would turn on in strobe mode instead of Max, and Medium instead of low.

It turned out there was a current leak in the switch, so I took it apart and cleaned the whole PCB with some electrical contact cleaner and a cotton swab. The solder holding the spring on was in larger drops than I had previously seen, and I think maybe some of the solder flux had run out across the outer contact ring and was conducting a little bit of electricity. I also scraped away some of the excess solder to make sure it wasn't making any contact with the retaining ring.

That solved the problem.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last edited:

daveman

Enlightened
I got an official response from Fenix. It's posted here https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2150861&postcount=31

Again, a very small quantity of these orings had this problem.
Removing it solves everything and it's primarily cosmetic as the tailcap
functions fine without it. If anyone needs a replacement, just email me
your order number and I'll send you one at no charge :)
Will the light be more vulnerable to water penetration without the o-ring?

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will the light be more vulnerable to water penetration without the o-ring?
No. The oring is INSIDE the tail
cap and is not part of sealing the light.
It's mainly cosmetic and sits around the tension spring for the battery.