Momentary switch for maxFlex in Mag

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone know how to modify the Mag C switch to have a momentary to ground switch needed for the maxFlex driver?

From the maxFlex Tech guide:
"The SW hole is one side of an external momentary action switch. The other side of the switch must be wired to Ground."

I could flip around the batteries or something easy, but there must be a better way.

I posted this in a thread on how to make the switch momentary, but that is not an issue, I need the driver to have a negative ground signal to switch the modes.

Thanks!

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
not the "answer" but i never change the main switch, because i need it to work in the car and backpack and luggage and all without going on accidentally.
so i use the Main mag switch as the "disconnect" that way i never get even a tiny drain from any curcuit stuff that might exist.
then i put these tiny momentary switches in.
http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...igkw=momentary&kw=momentary&parentPage=search
in a D size i can put 3 of them in right above the switch module.

but of course the other reason i do that, is because i will have some "other" functions in the light , like one can be used as a quick boost button, or you stuff some red leds in , and have a night vision button, or a laser , or other crasy crap that can be stuffed into a mag other than just raw light.

These momentary switch seem to last a long time, you need locktite on the screw top, they are small, there is very little space to work in a battery tube, i can imagine that a C you wouldnt get 3 in without having them way apart, but that is what i use, and its locally available. they arent tooo ugly, but it sure changes the sleek look of an usually unchanged mag body.

also there hasnt been a lot of use of mercury tilt switches yet :)

Last edited:

Christoph

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aircraft800 you need to take the power around the switch to the maxflex and take the sw output to the ground tab through the switch. I am going to do one later on this evening I may be able to post the pics by wensday morning.
Chris

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aircraft800 you need to take the power around the switch to the maxflex and take the sw output to the ground tab through the switch. I am going to do one later on this evening I may be able to post the pics by wensday morning.
Chris

Thanks Chris,

I understand how it has to be wired, but couldn't figure out how to use the switch as a ground and still have enough room to solder on the positive lead and bypass it.

Some pictures would be great!

VidPro,

I like those micro switches, I'm just not sure I can fit it into the C Mag tube and still have the room I need for the maxFlex. If I had all of the parts in my hand, then I could possibly use one. I like the idea of having a true cutoff so there is no drain and retain the Mag switch. If it is not too noticeable, I may do this also.

Thanks for all of the great comments!!

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kelly,

You couldn't have made a better guide! These pictures are Excellent!! Now I see how the switch was isolated from the circuit and used as a momentary ground for the maxFlex. Actually the 3rd shift tutorial was the same, but it all made sense to me when I saw it again ;).

Thanks for the great work, I still am unsure if this is the method I am going to use, or the idea from VidPro, I guess it depends on how I want the overall finished product will look, stock or with additional external switch...

Inside the Momentary C-Switch

DSC00306.jpg

How things go back together when it flys all over the place :eek:
DSC00311.jpg

Remove the plastic (teeth) from this part so it's smooth on the outside, it's the first plastic part in the bottom of the switch clicky thing.
DSC00314.jpg

Cut the + Battery contact so it no longer makes contact with the switch like this.
DSC00312.jpg

Solder up the momentary switch wires (Yellow) and the + Pos power supply wire (Pink) like this.
DSC00313.jpg

Put the inner switch parts back together, route the wires and Epoxy the + Pos battery contact on the back of the switch.
DSC00319.jpg

You should end up with something like this.
DSC00322.jpg

Solder your - Neg supply wire to the switch anchor part with the set screw in it, make sure to check all connections with a DMM.

Hope this helps :wave:

Later
Kelly

Make sure to check all connections with a DMM