What is holding StreamLight back from Cree/SSC/Rebel LEDs in their lights?

light_emitting_dude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am a fan of SL lights and wonder why they have not implemented any of the newer LEDs into their flashlights? AFAIK they have no lights with at least a Cree or SSC. Maybe they are just slower to move into the newer technology. I am suprised that manufactures like Rayovac and Coleman have beat them to it.

I have seen numerous Cree/SSC mods in their lights with impressive results. Hopefully we will see some newer lights with Crees next year.

pfccypret

Newly Enlightened
The Streamlight Stinger LED uses a "High Flux LED" according to the box and literature. I'd guess the LED is as bright as my Surefire 6P cree. Not top of the line LED, but not bad either. I am happy with it.

That being said, I have no idea....Cost?

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the big American manufacturers (Streamlight, Inova, etc.) have made a conscious decision to go after the big market of users who don't want a high quality though maybe not cutting edge light, rather than the few of us that will ding them for not having the latest bin.

Witness Surefire...they did offer a modern LED light but won't specify the bin. They can't take the risk of having outdated inventory, so as a result, almost everything is outdated!

Surefire, Inova, etc. will ultimately convert their entire line, but will take a while. Those companies are too big to move fast. In the meantime, the small, nimble manufacturers will tend to the flashaholics!

Burgess

Flashaholic
Very good question !

Been eagerly waiting for a Cree or Rebel version of the wonderful
Streamlight ProPolymer 4AA Luxeon.

:sigh:

But nothing ever happens ! :(

They've had plenty o' time to intro new updates. :mad:

Seems like they're simply asleep at the wheel. :sleepy:

Are we gonna' hafta' wait until SHOT 2008 ? :banghead:

C'mon, Streamlight. Get moving !

_

light_emitting_dude

Flashlight Enthusiast
That would be the Lux 3 LED in the current Stinger LED. I am much happier with the SSC I modded mine with. Lux 3 is 2003 era isn't it? To the non-CPF crowd it does appeal though. Several other officers I work with seem impressed and pleased with their Stinger LED lights........that is until they see my modded Stinger LED. :naughty: Here is a link to my mod.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/153407

Maybe they are stuck in some kind of "contract" with Luxeon maybe?

The Streamlight Stinger LED uses a "High Flux LED" according to the box and literature. I'd guess the LED is as bright as my Surefire 6P cree. Not top of the line LED, but not bad either. I am happy with it.

That being said, I have no idea....Cost?

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Streamlight builds lights for use in fire/explosion environments. They can not just put a different LED in there without first re-qualifying the light to the explosion proof standards around the world. That takes time and money.
Then the assembly lines have to be redesigned and rebuilt. That takes even more time and money. (Mag took 2 years to build the assembly lines for the MagLED).
Patience grasshopper.

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let us take a car analogy...

www.caterham.com

Now, in this day and age, you have ABS brakes, traction control, trip computers, air conditioning etc... etc... So why does Caterham not offer these?

Simple... just because the technology is there, it is optional whether you use it or not. If you have a tried and tested design that works for what it was intended, why change it?

Bror Jace

Enlightened
I have no idea what's taking them so long ... some good ideas/theories already expressed here.

Question is, will this hurt them? Is the average Steamlight consumer educated enough to know the difference? I have no idea. My guess is they'll be fine for a while ... until it's painfully obvious that their lights are not as bright as others. Not sure how long it will take the average officer, etc ... to see this. :shrug:

I have posted numerous times on this board that flashlight companies should all switch over to a modular approach so their various parts can be interchanged and they should be able to incorporate new emitters very easily. They could even offer a trade-in service to their dealers to update old lights in stock with new emitters. Wow, what a concept! :eek:

MikeSalt, that's an interesting analogy but don't think it's applies here. That's a specialty, low-production car made for purists that specifically want something stripped down and basic ... but fun. I saw a Caterham this past spring here at Limerock Park ... sweet little ride that's very rare on this side of the lake. I talked to the guy who owned it ... forgot if he built/assembled it himself or not.

Flashlights are much simpler than vehicles ... and I don't see why the manufacturers wouldn't want their lights to be brighter and more energy efficient if they could simply wish it so.

pfccypret

Newly Enlightened
Look at it this way. The Gladius is considered the best of the best by most officers...I've talked to officers about the upgrade night-ops is offering and most had no idea about it. The flashlight is probably close to 3 years old now. I remember first seeing it demoed by Blackhawk in early 05. Not sure if it was on the market then or not.

The Gladius is running around 90 lumens and the Stinger LED is around 80 (both advertised amounts). So the average cop thinks of the Gladius as being something amazing and he sees the Stringer LED...Only $90 and almost as bright as the Gladius, plus they can charge it....Win win win in his/her mind.

The average officer doesn't do much research on lights. All they know is what Galls carries and what the local cop supply store has. They are painfully unaware that better emitters exist. And really, they aren't needed. I carry a Stinger LED on my belt. Lights up the outside well enough, a car on a car stop and a house just fine. I don't really "need" anything better, although it is always nice.