WF-600 Questions

davidra

Enlightened
As a newbie to hot LED's (I've been off the board for a while), I couldn't pass up ordering a WF-600 from DX....but I messed up. One post stated that they would work with either an 1860 or with 2 123's, so when I ordered it I asked for the model that would use 123's. I can't use a rechargeable for the location I want to use this light. I didn't realize they had changed the light until after it was sent, and it arrived today as the "18650 Li Only" on the side light. Additionally, there is about a centimeter of o ring that wasn't seated around the side of the lens and it sticks up above the lens.

I've emailed DX to find out what I should do about re-ordering and returning this light. I am curious, though. What happens if you do use 123's in the WF-600?

Oring.jpg

Last edited:

loving light

Newly Enlightened
:poof:If you would use 2 cr123 primaries it would be 6 volts+or-1volt (depending on brand) a 18650 battery is about 4.2-4.4 volts I think the flashlight can only handle les than 5 volts.I have the 3-9 volt version and love it,but mine is not that bright on 18650 but that is to be expected because of the driver.I hope I helped

bspofford

Enlightened
I agree with loving light. The WF-400 comes in 3.6-9V and 18650 models, but for the flexibility of battery options, I think you sacrifice brightness. The 18650 models are brighter, less expensive, and probably have longer run times. I haven't actually done run times on these lights, but 18650 cells generally give longer run times than 2X16340 cells.

Weskix

Newly Enlightened
This is the reply I recieved from DX. If it doesnt blow right away on rechargeable 123's it might work just fine on regular old lithium 3.0V primaries.

Hi Wesley,

we have consulted your question with our technical worker and got to know that item 6951 can work with 18650 battery and 2 rc123 batteries.

However, if keep to use the 2 RC123 batteries, the circuit will blow easily.

Due to the circuit defference, the item 6951 is better work with 18650 battery.

Regards,

Susan

Regards,

Mash

Enlightened
DX sent out a lot of Li only models to people who asked for the multi voltage one, so you are not the only one, and they didnt change the light, they just sent the wrong one. Now they seem to have fixed this issue, and customers are receiving mulit power ones again. So you might want to ask for this model to be snet to you.

davidra

Enlightened
I agree with loving light. The WF-400 comes in 3.6-9V and 18650 models, but for the flexibility of battery options, I think you sacrifice brightness. The 18650 models are brighter, less expensive, and probably have longer run times. I haven't actually done run times on these lights, but 18650 cells generally give longer run times than 2X16340 cells.

But what is the runtime in comparison to two regular 123 primaries?

The O ring problem was easy to fix, just unscrewed it, put the ring back in place, and screwed it down again. I figured since the cost wasn't that high, I'd stick some primaries in it. Didn't burn out at all, was pretty bright, but only ran it a few seconds. If it would work with primaries, I would keep it, since I don't want to deal with mailing back to Hong Kong, but if it won't work I'll definitely send it back, since I'm not about to invest in rechargeables plus a charger for a light that will sit in a boat for intermittent use.

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The newer ones were said to not work on 2 CR123 batteries, the resistor would not lower the voltage enough. The previous one and the 3W Cree projection both had a multi voltage(3.6-9v) buck driver.

davidra

Enlightened
I've sent several emails and PM's on CPF, plus posted on their forums. Getting support from others, but they sure haven't responded to tell me what to do about returning it.

I'm trying to figure out what Susan's reponse actually means:

"Hi Wesley,

we have consulted your question with our technical worker and got to know that item 6951 can work with 18650 battery and 2 rc123 batteries.

However, if keep to use the 2 RC123 batteries, the circuit will blow easily.

Due to the circuit defference, the item 6951 is better work with 18650 battery.

Regards,

Susan"

My interpretation is that you should NOT use RC123 batteries....but then she says it will work "better" with the 18650....don't know what that means, actually, but I'm hesitant to push my luck until they say it's ok....

johnny13oi

Enlightened
I wouldn't run it on anything but 18650's. The light just has a resistor in there to drop the voltage for a 18650 and they chose a value specifically for only 1 cell. With two cells in there, you will definitely blow out your light, if not right away then later by overdriving your LED over time. What you could do is open it up and place a higher value resistor in there and it would work just fine for 2 CR123A.

davidra

Enlightened
Would love to if I even had clue how to do that.
My fine motor skills kind of suck. But good thought.....