Old 3rd-gen KL1 vs KX1-Cree vs new L1-Cree

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anybody have an idea of how bright these 3 lights are next to each other? You can put the L1 on high beam for this test. Side-by-side beamshots with both lights in the same picture would be awesome. Even if you do not have all of the 3 lights, it would still be good to see two of them.

If you take side-by-side beamshots, you can use any camera in automatic mode and the comparison (within that frame) will be accurate, so don't worry if your camera lacks a manual mode.

I have a nice old KL1 that has seen much and I am planning to upgrade to a new E1L. As a flashaholic I know exactly what I want but it seems all my requirements conflict with each other :(

Ideally, what I want is a new E1L with Cree in black HA. Surefire doesn't make 'em in HABK.

Plan B: buy E1e-HABK and KL1-HABK from Supremeco. Assemble as intended. But it's the old 4th-gen Lux3 KL1, and I don't like that beam.

Plan C: buy E1e-HABK and get a modder to fix it up. Problem is, I have so much trouble finding out which combo of drivers and optics fit what LEDs, that it's driving me nuts. I need someone to guide me through this mess. And give me a price quote. Most modders are busy and don't have much time to talk to prospective customers about mods, while I can understand that, it doesn't help business. (if it is being run as a business. If it's personal then it's not an issue)

Plan D: buy E1e-HABK and a TNC head. Problem is, information is sketchy on these as well. I have to DIG for information on what goes where. And it's pricey: $52 for the head, $90 for the module :eek: and $25 for the reflector.. DANG, I could just buy a KL4-HABK and stick it on!

So.......what should I do?

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Post too big to hold my attention. I definitely don't have the hardware required to answer the comparison. You'll have to wait for a diehard SF nutter to browse by.
Guess you'll have to live with HA Natural for now.

Matteblack

Newly Enlightened
Hi Kevin,

I will be the first to admit that I don't know practically anything compared to most here, but I'll take a shot at it.....I'd say go with plan B. Then contact CPF'r Milkyspit, and work out what you are looking for with him. I can pretty much guarentee that you will end up with what you are looking for. He can do amazing things with that KL1 for you.....It might take a couple of weeks, but WELL worth the wait.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF, as I recall it used to be more than a year and a half ago, was a place to thrash out big ideas rather than summarize it all in 3 sentences. And beamshots were commonplace - this would have been an easy request to fill.

Things sure have changed.

Matteblack, thanks for your suggestion. :) I've fired off a PM to Milky, I'll see what he can do. I'm actually thinking Plan C, if he can successfully make the reflector accomodate the LED.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Kevin,
I have the flashlights you mention. I'm not in a position write a comparison at the moment. Please email/pm me if you've interested to have my opinions and I'll do my best to get back to you.

As for beamshots... never been any good at those...

lightemup

Flashaholic*
Hi Kevin :) , +1 to a black E1L.

One option might be to get a Black E1e and then hunt b/s/t etc for a Black KL4 bezel? Either a more traditional TW4 setup, or a rechargable battery to power up the KL4? Just an idea off the top of my head.

I've been meaning to buy a KL1 for a couple of years but never really got around to it. If I see a KX1 up for grabs I might get one for my E1e to try out. Sorry I can't help with comparison pics etc, but IMHO the Cree L1's beam is nearly ideal for me.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Possible, I've thought of that. I figured they would be really expensive though :(

I am trying not to break the bank on this one.. saving $$ to go around for more goodies and other mods.

The amazing thing though, is that even after all these years, the L4 is still so highly regarded and the TW4 lives on: it even outlived the company that created it..!

Braddah_Bill

Enlightened
Kevin,

I went to the B/M store here in Hawaii and they had 1 KL1-BK 4th Gen. head only - at full retail $56.00 (I think was the price). The only reason I didn't get it is cause I have one already.

I have a few KL1s old and new and will try to get some beam shots later.....but remember this will be my 1st attempt with a simple point and shoot digital.

Bill

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello KevinL,

Your plan D won't work. TNC heads only works with TNC bodies. I think the threading is different.
I have never seen a TNC head on a SF body unless it was custom.

Plan E, buy the new E1L, strip, get someone to anodize. You can find this sort of services at most machine places back at spore. Problem is takin it apart.

Plan F, get Braddah_Bill send you KL1-BK. :devil:

What happen to TW?

Last edited:

Braddah_Bill

Enlightened
The 1st and 2nd shot shows my current lights.....I added in the Milky L1 and the KX2 as I don't have a KX1

KL1line.jpg

KL1line2.jpg

All beam shots are running on single cell bodies with the exception of the KX2 as that is a 2 cell only light(bottom right).

KL1line5.jpg

Left to right: MilkyL1, KL1 Gen4 OP reflector, KL1 Gen1 IMS17, KX2 Outdoorsman

KL1line3.jpg

KL1Line6.jpg

The 2 lights that I use most are the Milky L1 and the KL1/Lux III/OP Reflector/L4 body old/Pila 168s

Hope this helps Kevin..... :)

Braddah_Bill

Last edited:

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello KevinL,

Your plan D won't work. TNC heads only works with TNC bodies. I think the threading is different.
I have never seen a TNC head on a SF body unless it was custom.

Plan E, buy the new E1L, strip, get someone to anodize. You can find this sort of services at most machine places back at spore. Problem is takin it apart.

Plan F, get Braddah_Bill send you KL1-BK. :devil:

What happen to TW?

Hmm, thought I saw an E-series compatible head from TNC. Anyway I got a quote from Milky, it seems very reasonable so I think I might go for it.

Agreed, plan E's problem is taking apart the light.

Supremeco.com.hk has KL1-BK's too, same price, so it's all good. One of my plans was to pick up a KL1-BK from them to go with the E1e-BK and then "DIY" it myself. But I think I have a better plan :D

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 1st and 2nd shot shows my current lights.....I added in the Milky L1 and the KX2 as I don't have a KX1
The 2 lights that I use most are the Milky L1 and the KL1/Lux III/OP Reflector/L4 body old/Pila 168s

Hope this helps Kevin..... :)

Braddah_Bill

Thanks Bill!! The Old Skewl CPF Krew comes through again!! :D

Great work on the beamshots. You don't need a fancy camera to take them, you did just fine with what you had. #1 and #4 is especially interesting to me because that's the 3rd-gen KL1 vs the new KX2. It's significantly brighter and seems to have a nice beam compared to the KL1-4th-gen with Lux3 and optic.