Disappointed with Surefire L1 Cree

CalgaryGuy

Enlightened
I just got my L1 Cree, this is my first Surefire light. I own an Arc LSH-P (mosport mod) and an Arc 4+.

Probably because of the extra small size that the Arc are (all run off 1 x CR123), I'm a bit desapointed that the L1 is quite big and probably a bit too big for EDC.

I've read a lot of reviews about Surefire making the best lights and maybe because I have a high expectation from Surefire and am a bit disappointed...

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L1 has always been larger than other 1-cell lights. The recent version is smaller than the previous versions.

Surefire is known for making bright, high-quality lights--not necessarily the smallest. :shrug:

CalgaryGuy

Enlightened
Yeah, I guest so. I wanted a Surefire for several years and finally got one. A few years back, I was debating between the Arc 4+ or the Surefire L4 and went with the Arc 4+ due to the fancy multi-brightness microchip controlled LED.

mossyoak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Southland with a RedBull in one hand and iPhon
I just got my L1 Cree, this is my first Surefire light. I own an Arc LSH-P (mosport mod) and an Arc 4+.

Probably because of the extra small size that the Arc are (all run off 1 x CR123), I'm a bit desapointed that the L1 is quite big and probably a bit too big for EDC.

I've read a lot of reviews about Surefire making the best lights and maybe because I have a high expectation from Surefire and am a bit disappointed...

no comment.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you don't want it, there are about 500 of us who will have it.
:nana:
I often have trouble sizing up lights from pictures myself. I have been surprised a few times when a light came in the mail. Thought it would be bigger, skinnier, thicker material, etc.
But, how you can claim an L1 might be too big for EDC, I dunno. 4.5" isn't very big. I EDC an L2 often. Perhaps I have larger pockets on my 32" - 32" pants?
But if it doesn't float your boat, no reason to be put off. Thats the beauty of CPF. You can sell it and only be out maybe $10. Recover most of your money and put t into a different light.

Though I very much doubt you'll find a light that beats the L1's beam profile, I wish you luck in finding a new light.

Hodsta

Flashlight Enthusiast
PhantomPhoton,

Sorry to be totally OT but what is that in your sigline - I'm imagining the Swedish chef of the Muppet show? :grin2:

As for the L1, a magic light, but there is no light for all and as PP says flip it for another light (may I recommend a Novatac 120P Sir?).

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I guess it depends on where you EDC the light. Now that the cooler weather is upon us, it's easier to EDC something is a coat pocket. If you're referring to EDC'ing an L2 (or any light that size) on your person, I agree it's too large (for me). To be honest the largest light I can EDC in my pockets or on my person is something along the size of the Photon Proton and that becuase the clip allows it to suspend in my pants pocket, As far as clipless lights are concerned, I can not or will not have anything larger than a FireFly in my pocket.

Bort

Newly Enlightened
Surefire L1 works fine for me in front pants pocket with Levi's no problem.

Size15's

Flashaholic
The current L1 is about as short as I can comfortably hold and use. The E1e/E1L is too short for my hands.
My ARC LSH-P is way to short me to use and as such is still on it's original battery. For me a flashlight is no good when my little finger naturally acts as a beamcover when I'm holding it!

My EDC is an L2 which is about as long as I prefer to EDC but because it's slim it's less of an issue compared to say the U2.

The most ergonomically suitable flashlight I've yet found for my hands is the A2.

Of course the subjective nature of length (and form in general) means that what is long for one is short for another (etc).

Al

lightemup

Flashaholic*
+1 that I like my E1e, but for me the new Cree L1 is just long enough to be ergonomic for me and still compact enough to be more handy than my L4.

Last edited:

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I agree with you guys are saying about the L1 in your hand. Yes, it does fit in the hand very nicely. For me, however, that doesn't translate into something that feels comfortable sitting in my pocket. I can only assume you guys are wearing very loose fitting pants.

lightemup

Flashaholic*
Not really in my case, but I try and keep one item per pocket as well. To give a comparison of preference I think the 6p / g2z etc is a bit big to comfortably carry in the pocket, but i've got a couple of friends who wear jeans doesn't mind the bigger size at all. I suppose its each to their own :)

Hodsta

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thinks it's worth remembering that some people consider the Arc AAA, the Draco or the NS Wee/RAW as an EDC and this is still a very good option, considering the low beam runtimes, when compared to no light at all.

I have to wear a suit so I really struggle to carry a Novatac/TiPD-S on me at all times, but I persevere!!

I don't believe the L1 was designed with professional naturists, cyclists, ballet dancers or glam rockers in mind! Ergonomics is such a personal thing and I do not think it can be called into question (slightly ridiculed, yes) but not ruled out entirely:D.

Calgary Guy - go with the light you know you will always have with you as that is generally the light that matters.:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Size15's

Flashaholic
I use the pocketclips - having a flashlight ride free inside my pocket is unacceptable to me. If I'm going to bother EDC'ing a flashlight I want to be able to access it fast and easy, and that does not mean having to dig around in a pocket full of stuff.
That's why EDC for me means pocketclipped or keyfob attached

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've moved completely away from pocket clips on all of my EDC gear: lights, knives, and Leathermen. The ones that still have pocket clips are carried inside a pocket, never exposed. I work on cars a lot and it is way to easy to inadvertently scrape up against a vehicle with the exposed pocket clip and scratch a car. Another problem is getting in and out of vehicles. Three of our four cars have scrapes on their leather steering wheels from where the pocket clip in my right pocket has scraped the wheel when I'm entering the car. I've also scratched walls and furniture around the house by brushing up agianst them with exposed pocket clips. No thanks.

I'll either just have my EDC ride in my pocket, or use mini-clips to attach a short lanyard to a beltloop. If I'm wearing cargo pants, I always have my EDC gear in a Spec-Ops pocket organizer.

FWIW I find a light the size of my L1 or E2e w/ W2c and P61 about as big as I want to normally carry around, and will often limit my EDC to a Fenix P1CE (used to carry an ARC LSH-P with twisty) and an ARC AAA-P.

Patriot

Flashaholic
I use the pocketclips - having a flashlight ride free inside my pocket is unacceptable to me. If I'm going to bother EDC'ing a flashlight I want to be able to access it fast and easy, and that does not mean having to dig around in a pocket full of stuff.
That's why EDC for me means pocketclipped or keyfob attached

A big huge ditto to that.

CalgaryGuy, were you unaware of the size before you purchased it or were you aware of the size and over the period of a few days decided it was too long for you?