Energizer LED flashlight, officially endorsing Lithium AAs

I saw an Energizer 3W LED flashlight bundled with a pair of Energizer L91 lithiums with a claim it lasts 7x longer than alkaline at 0F.

Is that the first flashlight from mainstream vendor to officially endorse using L91??

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Energizer owns the patent on the AA Lithium Primary cell, so of course they'll pump their products as much as they can while they maintain a corner on the market.

Are they the first to recommend them? No, Definitely not. Mountaineers have been using them for years because of their good performance in cold temperatures, and so companies selling to that niche market have pushed them for awhile.

GaryF

Enlightened
Mainstream vendor - probably yes. My first LED headlamp (Lookout Mountain LM700) purchased in 2000 came with an endorsement for L91's, but the vendor was far from mainstream.

I've watched as L91's went from something carried by just a few places in the 1990's to being available most anywhere now, and that is a good thing.

An Energizer light being sold with Energizer batteries.... Haven't they been doing that for decades?

Yep, but it was pretty common for light manual writer to disagree with battery brand advertising writer to disagree with the compatibility. Energizer always sell their lights with their own alkaline battery and this is nothing unusual, but this is the first I've seen lithium AAs bundled with a flashlight.

Usually battery brand writers say their 1.2v NiMH and 1.5v lithium are compatible with anything that takes alkaline.

The equipment brand manual writer (I say this rather than "manufacturer" since good amount of China lights have the manual written by the selling brand).

In the selling brand's manual, you'll occasionally see something like do not use rechargeables or lithiums as they may overheat.