P2D with only three modes?

EVOeight

Newly Enlightened
I really want a P2D without the SOS and strobe. I would like to remove the "turn the bezel" mode and just keep the switch mode only. I just want the switch to cycle through low/med/turbo. Is there such an upgrade available?

Last edited:

blademan

Enlightened
The closest you will get this is a lumapower LM33. It will not be as bright though. It has a two stage switch with low and high.

EVOeight

Newly Enlightened
I really like the size and shape of the Fenix. I just hate that "two mode" feature. I see they now have the Q5 version but it still has that unwanted feature. Does anyone make a replacement module for the Fenix that has just the three modes?

scottaw

Enlightened
Go ahead and buy one, you'll be surprised how little you'll turn it to turbo mode, and SOS is the last of the basic ones. Low-Med-High is very easy to cycle through, and it's a great little light...one in my pocket right now.

pfccypret

Newly Enlightened
My only issue is (and what keeps me from using the Fenix lights in a law enforcement application) that you start on low. I use high 90% of the time (turbo about 5%) and the rest another 5%.

I would like Fenix to issue a special tactical series of lights with a redesigned switch.

EVOeight

Newly Enlightened
The perfect flashlight for me would be: The P2D with no "twist bezel mode", low (12lumen) med (80 lumen) and turbo (180 lumen) all from the tail switch. And a pocket clip too. It might also be nice to a CR2 battery tube option.
I own a non-Q5 P2D now but I just hate the UI. That is what is keeping me from upgrading to the new one.
No one makes a replacement module for the Fenix that has just the three modes? Seems like there would be a huge market for one...

EVOeight

Newly Enlightened
Or how about this: when you loosen the bezel, you get strobe and SOS mode. When the bezel is tight, you get Turbo/Med/Low. That way I could just leave the bezel tightened and have the modes I want. Could the Fenix be modified like this?

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
no, and its plain dumb.
IF one dont want a bright light in the dark, then the 1st level to come on has to be low

Another No for modding a Fenix.
Why not just look for a similar sized one from kadomain or dealextreme, one where the (imho silly) levels come on on high and go further to med and then low?
There are sooo much of these ...

Why should Fenix change the UI most ppl that use lights appreciate? Get a few customers but loose the majority?

EVOeight

Newly Enlightened
To be honest, the only light I could find with High/Med/Low is the D-Mini Digital, but it does not remember the last setting you left it on, it always starts out on high.
I did not know that anyone ever used the strobe or SOS feature. I have never used either.

LightScene

Enlightened
I agree. Very few people have any need for strobe, and SOS is totally useless for any purpose.

EVOeight

Newly Enlightened
I guess I made the title for this thread wrong. I meant to say Fenix with only one mode, with three settings.

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on that. I have had several Fenix lights and never used the SOS or strobe. A very small percentage of people even need, use, ore even appreciate those.

Yellow. If you even bother to read the threads that deal with Fenix here, you would know that it is the majority of people that would like to lose SOS and strobe...not visa versa. Before you go calling someone's idea dumb, get informed first or you will be the one ending up looking dumb.

I agree. Very few people have any need for strobe, and SOS is totally useless for any purpose.

patycake57

Newly Enlightened
I believe that it is fair to say that the vocal majority of CPF would like to lose SOS and Strobe. However, it may be quite an assumption that the majority of CPF or Fenix users in general would like to lose SOS and strobe. Frankly, I think the non-vocal folks are simply tired of rehashing this same old argument. People will vote with their wallet and change how Fenix does things. For example, a vocal minority pushed to keep the Cree smooth reflector (which wasn't that bad) in the initial months, but it seems, based on Fenix-store stocking only lights with OP reflectors, that the OP folks bought more lights.

I own several fenix digital lights, and don't find that SOS or strobe gets in the way, and think that they may be useful at some time. But I use turbo or low most of the time, which may not be how someone else would use them. I do hope that Fenix continues to improve their UI so that these extra modes are even more out of the way. My guess is that we're headed for a programmable light in the near future. It is very clear, though, that there will never be one UI that satisfies all here on CPF.

EVOeight

Newly Enlightened
I actually think I have the perfect compromise:
Put the SOS and Strobe in one mode (bezel loose) and put the brightness settings in the other mode (bezel tight). That way, I can just keep the bezel tight and have acess to Turbo/High/Med/Low. If I did need the SOS or Strobe, I can just loosen the bezel. This would keep everyone happy since the SOS and Strobe won't get in the way, but will be available. They just need to modify the UI slightly.

Windscale

Enlightened
I think we ought to spend more time enjoying our lights rather than talking about whether one likes SOS or strobes or how many levels and their seguences. I say this because all our likings or dislikings can be sorted out by the press of a switch. This will only take a few seconds even if one has to go through all the modes.

If one feels really strongly about it then he could either convey his opinion to the manufacturers or mod it (if he is that good) or simply, don't buy it.

Take the example of Fenix. It is no good complaining about it since one knows perfectly well those modes are there before the purchase. Why still bought it? Obviously because the lighting value far outweighs the negative effects. The fact that one has bought the light is an indication of support. I perfectly support the idea of vote with your money. But once you have voted with your money, don't grumble.

I wrote this not intending to offend anyone. But I am sure a lot of people in these forums are fed up reading complaints about SOS and strobes and those calling their manufacturers by all sorts of degrading descriptions for making these modes. What kinds of descriptions should we give these people when they still buy these lights knowing the SOS and strobes are there?

I use Fenix and SF and many other lights. I am against having SOS and strobes. Either one, or none, would do. But it is a matter of a few clicks and all problems would be solved. Enjoy your lights.

EVOeight

Newly Enlightened
No, it is a matter of turning the bezel and clicking the switch.
I am very glad Fenix products are available, I own several. But, when I use my P2D, it irritates me that the Turbo and the other three brightness settings are not in the same mode. It really really irritates me. I guess it is true that I am "complaining" even after I bought it. I now see the Q5 version is out but it has the same flaw. I will "vote with my wallet" as you say.
I really think that I have the perfect compromise for their UI that would make 98% of the people happy. Why is it wrong for me to just suggest it? I see an opportunity to improve a product that I use everyday, why would I not voice it?

I actually think I have the perfect compromise:
Put the SOS and Strobe in one mode (bezel loose) and put the brightness settings in the other mode (bezel tight). That way, I can just keep the bezel tight and have acess to Turbo/High/Med/Low. If I did need the SOS or Strobe, I can just loosen the bezel. This would keep everyone happy since the SOS and Strobe won't get in the way, but will be available. They just need to modify the UI slightly.

Windscale

Enlightened
EVOeight,

Simple question. Have you written to Fenix about your suggestion?

If not. why not?

If so, have you received a reply?