Recommend a wideband radio scanner

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi guys, been planning a revamp of my shack. Right now it consists of a Radio Shack PRO-2055 scanner, automotive AM/FM/CD receiver and a Yaesu 2-meter transceiver. It's all powered by an Alinco 12 Vdc power supply. Everything is on a 19-inch rack but on generic shelves. I found a dealer on fleaBay that sells proper rackmount kits for almost all my gear (rackmount communications speakers too) so now I'm ready to plunk down some $$$ to get my shack neatened up.

I'm looking at the Yaesu VR-5000 and Icom R-1500 to replace my scanner/car radio combination. The idea is to get the police/fire/air coverage the PRO-2055 gives me plus ability to receive broadcast AM/FM that the car radio gives me.

Are there radios other than the VR-5000 and R-1500 I should take a look at? Any other shack ideas & pics would be greatly appreciated!

PS: Let's keep talk of the $13,000 rackmount receivers to a minimum. ;-)

z96Cobra

Enlightened
You need to post this in the Radioreference.com forums. My suggestion is to go for the Icom PCR-2500 with the UT-122 digital APCO 25 decoder. I have a IC-PCR1000 and would love to upgrade to the PCR-2500!

Roger

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
You need to post this in the Radioreference.com forums. My suggestion is to go for the Icom PCR-2500 with the UT-122 digital APCO 25 decoder. I have a IC-PCR1000 and would love to upgrade to the PCR-2500!

Yeah, well.... there are a lot of good minds here, so I figured I'd give you guys the first stab. ;-)

I'd love a PCR-2500, but G.D. that thing's expensive!! The APCO-25 option is great though, since a lot of L.A. county public services use it. (My local PD and the PDs of most surrounding cities are still on FM though.) PCR-2500 with the decoder will set you back, what, $1,000?