Favorite Walking Light?

Old Farmer

Newly Enlightened
I guess this has been ask a dozen times, but I guess I need a idea for a new light. What is your favorite light for your night walks? I want ask your favorite light for day walks,haha. I am using a SF L1 Cree, but it does not have alot of flood. Do they make something you can put on the lense?

Genesis 1:3

Newly Enlightened
I also use the SF L1 but with a F04 diffuser. The low beam is great for reading a map. For incan, I like my Streamlight TL-3 with AW's 17500. Both throw and spill are great for its relatively small size.

DesertFox

Newly Enlightened
I usually go out with a SF L2 or A2. The L2 is floodier, but the A2 has a lower low, which is easier on the eyes when its really dark.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Anything with a good reflector works for me, because reflectors usually produce much more spill light then a optic light. Spill for closer range and spot for further range.

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
My favourite is a 3x5mm LED flashlight powered by 3 AAAs from Poundland. Cheap, floody and not too bright.

My favourite short-use flashlight is a Mag 2D ROP. When I am out on the hike, and I want to light up a field. This is sufficient. Fits in my pocket too.

Patriot

Flashaholic
My favorites are flashlight sized HID lights like the WE/Boxer, AE24/s, and multi-led lights like the Wiseled 1500. I like mag mods too but they get too hot and run out of capacity to soon.

FlashSpyJ

Enlightened
I like my walking light to be a low floody light, so SF A2 is nice, also the Fenix E0 is rather floody low light. L1 with a F04 diffuser works great too. I had a Gerber Infinity Ultra Task that worked very good as a floody low light. But the E0 has replaced it now.
Another nice light is the UK 2AAA eLED, it has a very wide spot beam, optics instead of reflector, but its a very nice wide beam.

Of the above lights, fav walking light, I must say the E0 because of its size and useful beam. You can always have it in your jacket and use it when you need it, if I bring the A2 its going to be planned.

Germ

Enlightened
I've been using a Fenix P1D CE Q5 and a Mag 2D ROP low, both with medium orange peel reflectors. The Fenix is my EDC. The Fenix makes plenty of light on the medium setting for getting around and has a big hot spot and great spill. When I want to see further, wider, or want better color rendition I flash the ROP. It is a great combination.

The medium output of the Fenix is just about perfect for me, but something with a forward clicky would probably be preferable to a twisty for a walking light.

I'm working on a 2x18500 light with a SureFire P91 bulb so I have something smaller than the ROP to carry.

Last edited:

Novaflash

Newly Enlightened
When I go out for a walk with the dogs in the large field behind my house I usually use on of these combinations.

Low level flood LED
Novatac 120p
Surefire U2 w/diffuser
Surefire A2
Inova X5

High power incan
Surefire M6 (MN21)
Surefire M3 Lumens factory EO-M3
Surefire C3 (P91)

I find any combination of these lights to offer a nice even low beam or something in case I need to put a lot of light a good distance.

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, the F04 is on SF's website.

As for my favorite walking light, I usually take either my A2 or my Fenix L1T rebel. Both have two levels and each can throw, when needed. I prefer the L1T since it uses rechargeables, but when wearing gloves in the winter, I like the size and grip of the A2.

Lightguy27

Enlightened
I guess this has been ask a dozen times, but I guess I need a idea for a new light. What is your favorite light for your night walks? I want ask your favorite light for day walks,haha. I am using a SF L1 Cree, but it does not have alot of flood. Do they make something you can put on the lense?

If you use an L1, than get the fo4 diffuser from surefire.com . I have one for my L1 and on high, its not as bright but produces a great flood of light wherever its pointing. I also use one on my L4, not for the extra flood power but to diffuse the beam for walking around the house at night. Its 12 dollars and will fit the bill perfectly. Oh, and I use my L4 to go walking with, and usually bring along the L1 if I need to see something in the distance.

Last edited:

jeffb

Flashlight Enthusiast
McGizmo HD 45 with Lux 5 (two level)..........great for flood and walks
123584896-M.jpg

Surefire U2 with Leef 18650 body and Leef Tail cap (Lux 5 multiple levels.......nice brightness and flood) (Left)
150810369-M.jpg
107853145-M.jpg

TnC 18650 Lux 5 XYOS (very white, bright spill for walking) Tall light on left

Surefire L4 (presently with a McGizmo two stage tailcap, not shown) is very good for walks and is pictured with an Incandescent TigerLight and Incandescent Surefire M6, that are great outdoor lights with "walls of light".
54168690-M.jpg

tm3

Newly Enlightened
something that you may want to consider is side switch vs tail switch.

for walking i prefer a side switch. i leave the light off most of the time and with my hands at my side popping the side switch for a quick look is easier, especially when also handling a dog leash. plus i find a side switch easier to operate with gloves on.

waterboiler

Newly Enlightened
For night walks I like two different lights. One for trail following ( near continuous use ) and a second high output throw light for spotting ( little / short burst use )

For trail following the G2 beam pattern is hard to beat - same goes for A2 incan but run time is poor on both. While I have a 6PL, I have not had much chance to evaluate it but it may be a real winner. The A2 on low is good for open trails/road in dark situation but not good urban situations with lots of stray ambient light. For these condtions a P1D-CE ( or similar ) or an L2 on low are great options.

For the occational use spotting/throw light I like a high powered incan. When travelling light ( pun intended ) a TL-3 on 17500's is my choice. If more gear is an option I like a M3T on 17670's. If you keep use down a M6 with HOLA, is a hungary but very usefull option.

swxb12

Flashlight Enthusiast
MTE 1xaa SSC, Kaidomain 1xaaa SSC. Big fat hotspots and simple one-mode operation. I need me some more Seoul.

saildude

Newly Enlightened
For walking around in the city - long throw not needed - I use Streamlight 2AA LED, Streamlight 4AA LED or Pelican 4AA LED # 2440. Sort of depends on the mood that I am in and which one is sitting on the counter when I go out.

mb