Software for ''ripping'' DVD to other format?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Is there any software (shareware or freeware) for the PC (Windows XP format) that will "rip" a DVD (or just a small segment of one - but I can do that post if necessary) file with the .vob extension into a common video format such as .avi, .dvix, .mpg, .mpeg, .mpv, .m1v, etc.?

The DVD file would be stored on my hard drive, not on the DVD itself.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
A little while ago, I created a webpage with exactly that as the subject for a technical writing class. I tried emailing it to you as a "web archive file (.mht)", but it's not going through, so I'll publish it to my website and post the link. It should be up at around 8-8:30 tonight.

Last edited:

Brock

Flashaholic
It's not free but I really like Pocket DVD. You can set what it "rips" the DVD to, wmv, avi, mpg, what ever and set the screen size from really, really small, up to 740 x whatever the other ratio is. You can also set the end file size by size or kbps. The shareware version can rip like 1 minute max.

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
DVDfab platinum is the one I use the most, excelent results and has the option for burning using Nero software. All in one package and one click rip is foolproof.

www.dvdidle.com

AlexGT

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I tried all the suggestions offered, but only one did what I needed, and it only converted the first ~2 minutes of the file (the desired segment was located 6:54 in).
So I "cheated" as it were, and took the following action:

1: Used my digital camera in movie mode to record the segment I wanted.
2: Stripped the video information out of it.
3: Saved the resulting file in .WAV format.

This procedure netted me the results I was after.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
MacTheRipper is still the best free Mac solution for just unencrypting DVD's so you can copy them to your HD for playing without the DVD. but it doesn't let you make movies of them to play in anything but the DVD player app, like moving them to an iPod or something. and the disk folders it creates are usually the same size as the disk, meaning that most wont then fit if you try to reburn them to a single layer DVD+R. SO you need something to recompress. For that I like DVDRemaster on the Mac. It works very well, and doesn't require MacTheRipper first, it uses some other interesting solution to remove the copy protection first.

I have kids using their DVD's, there is no WAY that I'm paying $15 to $20 for a DVD and then handing it to the kids to scratch up and loose under the couch. They get LEGALLY produced backup copies. At least it should be legal, how stupid is that.

But for making actual movies of them to watch on your iPod or elsewhere Handbrake is the best free solution.

Neg2LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
for my mac i use an old version of MediaFork (now HandBrake) - i use the old version because the new one confuses me...

--neg

Status
Not open for further replies.