Hi everyone. WF-600 query...?

falconx

Newly Enlightened
G'day everyone,
I've just caught the LED bug and bought a few lights recently, namely an Ultrafire C3, Fenix L2D Rebel and WF-600. The C3 and the Fenix work great I am really impressed by both of them.:twothumbs

The WF-600 is in transit and I have been trying to find some rechargeable li-ion 18650 batteries for it here in Melbourne AUS which has been harder than i had anticipated. Anyways, I was thinking about ordering them online from newexcite.com.
My question is if I should get the protected version of the 18650 or not? I noticed that the silver protected ones have a slightly larger diameter so I wasn't sure if they would fit.:thinking:

I was also recommended the UltraFire Charger 18650/18500 WF-139 from there too, although I see the output is 4.2V but the batteries are rated 3.7V. Is this likely to cause any issues?:thinking:

This board is great I have learned a lot from you all just in the last few weeks. If any wf-600 owners have any suggestions or could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it. :)
Cheers..

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Buy protected, you don't want to run the risk of an exploding Li-ion battery because of overcharge, over discharge or over voltage. Li-ion batteries are usually 4.2v off the charger so this is normal.

The WF-600 should fit all of the 18650 batteries available.

For cheaper batteries and charger, the Ultrafire 18650 battery and WF-139 charger should be fine.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
I won't answer what I am not sure of, which is most of it, since I am not familiar with that model of light. However, I can answer the part about the charging current.

When you charge a battery, you need to use a higher voltage than the cell puts out. So, the charger uses the voltage you mentioned, 4.2v, to make the battery full again. You don't get something from nothing, and that higher voltage make the magic of recharging happen.

:)

LEDAdd1ct

falconx

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the swift replies guys.
For cheaper batteries and charger, the Ultrafire 18650 battery and WF-139 charger should be fine.
It appears that the price for the charger is the same as on new excite and the batteries are 2 cents more, which isn't a big deal but i was going to use the CPF discount on new excite which would make it worthwhile. So unless there is a CPF discount for DX that I'm not aware of I'll probably just order the charger and protected 18650s from newexcite.com.
Thanks again ppl.

KeeperSD

Enlightened
Falcon
GlenC from Quarterflash is a dealer here in Australia that offers 18650's, in NSW to be exact, which means it cuts shipping costs right down. However the cells that he sells are a little more expensive as they are a higher quality than the ones you have listed

Latest posts