A UI suggestion for Fenix, Olight, etc.

sb_pete

Newly Enlightened
Ok so I know that some people don't like sos or strobe. Personally I use strobe all the time - not to ward off all the dangerous attackers here in sunny santa barbara, but to get people's attention in cars (I work as a valet and a chauffeur). That being said, the very presence of these things seems to annoy some people like red sheets do angry bulls. Another thing that seems to annoy some is too many output levels. Here is a suggestion combining the current UIs from the P2D and the T10 to provide lots of functionality while making it very difficult to accidentally activate:

Position 1:
Twist head all the way tight: lock in current mode. Tapping the tailswitch will provide momentary on or off type function depending on clicky type, but nothing else.

Position 2:
quarter twist off: programable mode - light output automatically steps down (or up) to a preferred output setting like in the P2D (say 20% default, but hold down tailswitch for 5+ seconds for new setting). By tapping the tailswitch you switch between solid, strobe, and signal modes (like in a t10).

Position 3:
half twist off - by twisting back on from here back to quarter (p2) or all the way (p1) changes output (like in a t10). If you don't go to p3, then p1 and p2 stay the same, by twisting all the way to p3 then back to p2 you change the output, further twisting to p1 locks it in

Basically, if you don't use strobe or sos, dont tap the tailswitch
in p2. The light should have a memory so if you only want low/hi, then simply lock p1 in at high output and then twist the head between p1 and p2 for low/hi.

If you want more light outputs, you can find them by twisting between p2 and p3 and then lock it in by using p1 or leave it in p2 for quick access to strobe if you use it.

You could also then have multi-output strobes and sos functions without annoying the KISS (keep it simple, stupid) crowd. For example. twist to p2, tap once into strobe function, now twist back and forth from p3 to p2 to get different strobes (high hertz, low hertz, bright and disorienting, low, etc). Find the one that suits your needs then tap into signal mode and do the same (high sos, low sos, signal strobe, etc.). Then tap back into solid and the light is set for your needs but able to do lots of other things just a couple clicks and twists away. Simple, but not so simple that you could do it on accident.

How does this sound to folks? I know that b/c this post is somewhat long it may seem not simple at all at first glance, but please, put an edc light like a fenix/olight/jetbeam/novatac/etc in your hands and imagine how it would work as you read through the post. I think this UI would be able to keep both crowds happy.

anyways, glad to hear your thoughts,
-Pete

DanielG

Enlightened
But then what would we have to complain about? :whistle:

I figure the light's UI is how it is, I have to adjust my way of using it to how it works.

EVOeight

Newly Enlightened
I think a simpler option would be:
Bezel tight = general mode: Brightness settings only. Cycles through from low to high. Rememers last setting.
Bezel loose = special mode: Fast strobe, slow stobe, SOS. Remembers last setting.

P.S. As far as using the strobe mode to get peoples attention while they are driving (like you stated above), I would be careful with doing that. Someone could blame you if it caused them to have an accident. I have also heard that some people can have epileptic-like symptoms from the strobe feature. Wouldn't want that to happen to someone while they are driving...

Last edited:

Bearcat

Enlightened
Bezel tight = general mode: Brightness settings only. Cycles through from low to high. Rememers last setting.
Bezel loose = special mode: Fast strobe, slow stobe, SOS. Remembers last setting.

You are a very smart person!!:twothumbs

I would really would like that UI, but it is way too logical for Fenix and Olight to do.:)

thiswayup

Newly Enlightened
Why not put a microswitch inside the head of the light, one that could be worked by a prod with a paper clip? Lights would come set in basic mode, but you could enable strobe, etc, with about a minute of one time effort. Using an internal switch would stop the risk of an unintentional mode change with friction on the bezel, and it would be cheap and robust.

sb_pete

Newly Enlightened
Problem with that is in the bezel tight mode you would have anywhere from 1-5+ brightness settings. Many people (esp the tactical crowd) want a setting that can only be turned on or off. That's it. I personally would like to be able to set it and forget it too sometimes. Too many times I've had the P2D in turbo and accidentally activated the strobe while running. P1 would be great for this while P2 would allow for the brightness setting desired and a quick press to strobe if desired. Also with only two bezel settings then the number of presses of the tail cap grows enormously compared to three bezel settings which could really tame the amount of button pushes to achieve the same thing.

Also, by requiring a bezel twist to activate the strobe, you would defeat its purpose. To be effective, the strobe must be operable from all hand grips, which turning the bezel is not while tapping the the tailswitch always is (on the small lights we are talking about anyway). Just my thought on it though. I think this way those who really use the strobe could have it close at hand while those who don't could still have it as a novelty or what have you when they want it without accidentally activating it.

P.S. As far as using the strobe mode to get peoples attention while they are driving (like you stated above), I would be careful with doing that. Someone could blame you if it caused them to have an accident. I have also heard that some people can have epileptic-like symptoms from the strobe feature. Wouldn't want that to happen to someone while they are driving...
Right you are! I should have been more clear and certainly no one should get the idea to strobe their friend on the highway to get their attention or what not. I generally use this while directing traffic at private functions. Most often it is in combination with a diffuser cap which I use like a traffic wand. the strobe I turn on to get someone zoned out to know it is their turn to go. Sometimes though I do use it directly at people without diffuser but this is only in two situations I can think of - 1. from behind while running after someone to get their attention if they're driving off while forgetting something 2. when directing traffic and someone decides to jump the queue or drive in the wrong lane or something - a strobe flash at them usually checks their impatience.

Last edited:

sb_pete

Newly Enlightened
so you are suggesting Liteflux LF series UI for fenix and olight?
Really? I have never used a liteflux. Is that really how their UI works?

*EDIT*
Just checked it out, no, not like the Liteflux UI. In theirs P1 is off. They don't combine three bezel positions with tailcap presses.

Last edited:

onthebeam

Enlightened
Why not:

Tap
Tap tap
Triple tap
Reverse tap tap tap
Hold and twist tap tap tap
Tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap