M@g D + copper inside = good heatsink?

kurni

Enlightened
Clustering LEDs @ 1A would generate significant heat. Would the heat be concentrated at the head?

Would having a copper pipe that fits the inside of M@g D body from top to bottom help distributing the heat? The copper pipe would need to be joined with the LED heatsink. Perhaps replace D switch with C, with a layer of heat insulator to prevent heating C LiIon.

I'm very new to modding; I'm just thinking out loud hoping to get input from other modders.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Clustering LEDs @ 1A would generate significant heat. Would the heat be concentrated at the head?

Would having a copper pipe that fits the inside of M@g D body from top to bottom help distributing the heat? The copper pipe would need to be joined with the LED heatsink. Perhaps replace D switch with C, with a layer of heat insulator to prevent heating C LiIon.

I'm very new to modding; I'm just thinking out loud hoping to get input from other modders.

How many leds are you planning to put in it? Where the heat would be depends totally on how you build your light.
As far as the copper pipe I'm doing something very similar in a small Coast light of mine. Its sleeved inside with copper to help dissipate the heat as the flashlight's body is fairly thin. One thing you need to do is make sure that heat in the pipe has a path to escape out of the flashlight.

kurni

Enlightened
How many leds are you planning to put in it?

Well... err... :crazy: I'm trying to push it hard; 7 or 6 or 5 or whatever possible at 1000mA. I gathered from the forum that finning the head would improve heat dissipation, but I'm guessing that the heat would be concentrated at the head.

I wonder if heatsink like PXR had a very long tail like a tube to slide inside the body would increase heat transfer to the tail; obviously D cell would no longer fit, but C LiIon would. Perhaps the tail should be shaped in a way so that M@g C switch would fit.

I wonder if it's worth doing...