HID outdoor home lighting

BirdofPrey

Enlightened
While sitting at Starbucks the other evening I found that the little pillar lights outside are HID. Supposedly, metal halide from the color output.

I'd LOVE to have one or two of these at my house.

Anyone know where I might find something like this? I've found some wallpacks and what not but can't find anything like this.

Suggestions?

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check Lowes out. My local store has a 70 watt "yard light" style metal halide fixture. It isn't cheap though, $68 vs about $25 for the equivalent mercury vapor model.

FredM

Enlightened
Check Lowes out. My local store has a 70 watt "yard light" style metal halide fixture. It isn't cheap though, $68 vs about $25 for the equivalent mercury vapor model.

You need to up the watts for any kinda "well lit" area. Or more of the lights.

Tennis courts use thousands of watts. Unless your goal is to light a path or porch or something quite small.

BirdofPrey

Enlightened
I'm looking for something like the various starbucks around here uses. I'll go down and take a pic of it next time I'm down there. Just wanting two to light up the concrete pad I'll be putting down int he back yard next spring. Just a small outdoor sitting area.

nanoWatt

Newly Enlightened
You could bogart their's :p

While sitting at Starbucks the other evening I found that the little pillar lights outside are HID. Supposedly, metal halide from the color output.

I'd LOVE to have one or two of these at my house.

Anyone know where I might find something like this? I've found some wallpacks and what not but can't find anything like this.

Suggestions?

BirdofPrey

Enlightened
You could bogart their's :p

In my line of work, that might not look too good.

That being said, I noticed that the courthouse here in town has the same lights. They just have clear "lenses" around them instead of the white ones that are around the ones at Starbucks.

tussery

Enlightened
I just found this thread, my father works for a food chain I won't mention overseeing construction of stores, and he has picked up some of these lights from stores when they order too many. We have one in our backyard and must say it is great and will light up our whole yard like day.