Anyody here into GPS Navigation for fun?

SurefireM6

Enlightened
If so check out: www.geocaching.com

Basically, people hide caches of stuff and post the coordinates. Some are good, most are just stuff. Sometimes you find cool stuff like $10 blockbuster cards and such but the fun is in the hunting!

leddite

Enlightened
yup. i've done that. found a couple LED lights too :>
*snag* to be replaced with other nifty objects.

it's a good thing to do.

SurefireM6

Enlightened
It's pretty fun. I was going to do a variation, bury something like an ARC AAA and a small flag wrapped in aluminum foil about a foot down somewhere in the wilderness. Post 4 coordinates creating about a 100 sq. ft. area where someone would have to scan with a metal detector to find the "cache". When someone has found it, they leave the flag up to let others after him/her know it's been found.

I gotta hike around to find a good spot.

And if anyone uses their GPS unit inside their vehicle, an external antenna is crucial. You all know what crappy signal you get in your car with you cellphone while driving right? WEll these Satellites transmit at only 50 watts from outer space! Anyway, you can get a re-radiator if you don't have an external antenna port. I get 6 sats at about half signal in my driveway without the antenna. I plug it in and I get 10 sats at full or near full strength! Why don't they make these for cell phones!

fc8a3de9.jpg

fc8a3de8.jpg

Greta

Flashaholic
I don't know if this is fun or not... but we have a GPS navigation system built into our new Murano. My husband thinks it's lots of fun to sit in the driveway for 10 minutes before we go anywhere, trying to program the GPS. It takes him 10 minutes to find the movie theater. I could have told how to get there in about 45 seconds... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

SurefireM6

Enlightened
HA, that is too funny! I just program routes on my computer and download it to my handheld before we go. In Car navigation units would be much better with a cartridge (Like Compact Flash) so you can plan your routes before you get in the car!

It's a guy thing. We have to use GPS navigation to go to the corner Liquor Store! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

PeterM

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
SurefireM6 said:
HA, that is too funny! I just program routes on my computer and download it to my handheld before we go. In Car navigation units would be much better with a cartridge (Like Compact Flash) so you can plan your routes before you get in the car!

It's a guy thing. We have to use GPS navigation to go to the corner Liquor Store! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, but it's better than having to use our GPS to get home from the liquor store! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

leddite

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Sasha said:
I don't know if this is fun or not... but we have a GPS navigation system built into our new Murano. My husband thinks it's lots of fun to sit in the driveway for 10 minutes before we go anywhere, trying to program the GPS. It takes him 10 minutes to find the movie theater. I could have told how to get there in about 45 seconds... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

if it takes that long, he needs more practice :>

clearly, you know the area already though. no fair /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

what gps is fun for, is marking a known spot (home, work, something), and
just motoring around and getting lost, then, if you can't find out where
you are on your own or to get back, us the gps. teaches direction skills
pretty fast.

it's also just pretty damn neat to use as a "where the hell am i" or "how
is the trip progress going". i very rarely use one for routing or such.

the really nifty $2000 one can do full auto-routing, with variables on
fastest, bestest, shortest, with emergency route changes on the fly.
pretty neat, if you need it. having detailed info on every commercial
venue in the area is handy. again, if you need it. usually, it's just
pretty damn fun to know where you are.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love my little GPS! (Garmin Etrex Vista) I use it as a bicycle computer and have taken it with me hiking and snowshoeing. When warmer weather comes, I do want to try geocaching as well.

SurefireM6

Enlightened
$2000! My $300 unit can auto route. I just punch in an address and pow, turn by turn.

geepondy,

I was contemplating between the Vista and Legend. I finally broke down and went for the Legend. How do you like your Vista? These Etrexs' are tiny aren't they?

I went with the legend because 8mb will do one region at a time. And the Barameter, compass ,Glide Ratio, Glide Ratio to Destination, and Vertical Speed to Destination isn't much use to me as I only wanted to use it for Cache Hunting.

Gone Jeepin

Enlightened
Have been using GPS for several years now. I started with the Garmin III + and then went for the Etrex Vista. I love the mapping features and recommend the CDs from Garmin. I cache hunt as well as the usual outdoor activities. I wouldn't leave home without the Vista in my bag, too much fun.

SurefireM6

Enlightened
I had the Garmin GPS III as well! Very nice unit but the Detailed mapping with the Mapsource Data is nice on the Etrex. The only problem with the Etrex is that it uses a patch antenna so it only looks up. My Rino 120 has a Quad Helix antenna so it looks up and at 45 degree angles as well for a better lock when around obstacles. So I use the Rino 120 around trees and obstacles, the Etex when I have an open view of the sky.

I ended up getting the Vortech ReRadiator antenna for better reception in the car. They have battery operated version as well. I installed it behind my rearview mirror so it's pretty much out of sight, hid wires too. I like this much better than a hardwired external antenna because I can just grab my GPS and go. I hardly use my In Dash OEM GPS anymore.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
You have to admit the Etrex series is near impossible to see while driving although having the auto route feature is a nice bonus. You really need a passenger to keep track of it while you're driving.

I bought the Vista over the Legend as it will be the only GPS I will purchase for probably the next several years and wanted to make sure I would not be memory limited. As for the other differences between the Legend and Vista, you're right, I don't need them although the real compass has come in handy when stopping and trying to orientate myself. As mentioned in my original post, for people into bicycling, you can get the handlebar mount and this makes a great bike computer.

[ QUOTE ]
SurefireM6 said:
$2000! My $300 unit can auto route. I just punch in an address and pow, turn by turn.

geepondy,

I was contemplating between the Vista and Legend. I finally broke down and went for the Legend. How do you like your Vista? These Etrexs' are tiny aren't they?

I went with the legend because 8mb will do one region at a time. And the Barameter, compass ,Glide Ratio, Glide Ratio to Destination, and Vertical Speed to Destination isn't much use to me as I only wanted to use it for Cache Hunting.

[/ QUOTE ]

Greta

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
what gps is fun for, is marking a known spot (home, work, something), and just motoring around and getting lost, then, if you can't find out where you are on your own or to get back, us the gps. teaches direction skills pretty fast.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yes... I know how this can be too. My husband sets it for French. So that way he can listen to the thing yell at him in French that he's going the wrong way... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif ... I'll be heading to Phoenix today to see my daughter. Maybe I'll set it to find the quickest route... in German!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SurefireM6

Enlightened
Nope, Etrex Legend and Rino does not have autorouting but my GPS V does. Got it cheap on ebay for $311 awhile back. I don't use it much because it's an awkwark shape to carry, the Etrex is perfect to belt clip carry with the OEM Battery Door replacement. The stub is removable by screwing it off. This is a Must Have in my book if you have an Etrex!

I'd rather route at home and DL it. I have a vent clip mount on my dash so the Etrex just clicks in and out.

fc891875.jpg

My Rino comes with a built in removable clip stub so it just clicks onto my vent mount:
fc89145f.jpg

Here is the Body Glove belt clip I use with it because it's much smaller than the supplied OEM one:
fc8910ac.jpg

fc8910ad.jpg

or neck lanyard:

fc891303.jpg

fc89129a.jpg

Josh

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Serving Wench

I found 3 yesterday!!!!! I also have been doing this for a few years and am going to find some later to day. I have a Garmin 2+...yes it's old put it gets me there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

SurefireM6

Enlightened

My wife and I went to Home Depot and picked up 2 gallon buckets for $1.97(like a small laundry detergent bucket) and painted it rock color. We are going to place caches next weekend up in the San Bernardino mountains.

Josh

Flashlight Enthusiast

I found 2 today! MAN WAS IT COLD!!!! Looked for another but I think it was plowed in the creek below:(.

SurefireM6

Enlightened
Pictures of Vortech Antenna at work

Ok, I've had a chance to finally take a couple of pictures of the Vortech antenna at work. An external antenna makes a BIG difference, sometimes the difference between losing satellite lock or not! Especially the 2 WAAS satellites. Without the external antenna, a WAAS satellite may not lock, rendering the WAAS capability useless and your unit 2 satellites less accurate!

I pulled over on a road with a clear view of the sky all around and took these:

Vortech Antenna powered off, GPS antenna only:
fc7a8a66.jpg

Vortech Antenna powered on, external antenna in use:
fc7a8a64.jpg

Remember, these pictures were taken with a clear view of the sky. In obstructed areas such as city driving, the difference is even more staggering.