L2D or L2T vs Streamlight?

Hiker

Newly Enlightened
I have an original L2T and a Streamlight ProPolymer 4AA Lux. I frequently hike at night with my EOS headlamp. I often take the Streamlight because it has such good throw and reasonable flood. Definitely better than the L2T. But it weights over 1/2 lb.

The original L2T is rated at 55 lumens max vs the Streamlight 42 lumens but the Streamlight is significantly brighter. The larger head and reflector seem to make a large difference.

My question is would the L2D and L2T v.2 blow away the Streamlight?

Gaffle

Enlightened
The PP4AA produces more throw. It has a very tight hotspot. If you are hiking and you want to scope out the trail ahead the ProPoly will light up at a good distance just what you want to see.

The L2D produces more light. If it is on turbo the throw will go as far as the ProPoly, but it will also be producing a wall of light. It will light up everything around you. The lit up brush may weaken your vision to see ahead.

If you are not looking real far ahead, the L2D would be a good companion. If need good throw the ProPoly is still a good choice.

ProPoly review, with lux readings at the bottom.

L2D CE review, with lux readings in the middle.

Hiker

Newly Enlightened
The PP4AA produces more throw. It has a very tight hotspot. If you are hiking and you want to scope out the trail ahead the ProPoly will light up at a good distance just what you want to see.

The L2D produces more light. If it is on turbo the throw will go as far as the ProPoly, but it will also be producing a wall of light. It will light up everything around you. The lit up brush may weaken your vision to see ahead.

If you are not looking real far ahead, the L2D would be a good companion. If need good throw the ProPoly is still a good choice.

ProPoly review, with lux readings at the bottom.

L2D CE review, with lux readings in the middle.

Any thoughts on the L2T v2?

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an original L2T and a Streamlight ProPolymer 4AA Lux. I frequently hike at night with my EOS headlamp. I often take the Streamlight because it has such good throw and reasonable flood. Definitely better than the L2T. But it weights over 1/2 lb.

The original L2T is rated at 55 lumens max vs the Streamlight 42 lumens but the Streamlight is significantly brighter. The larger head and reflector seem to make a large difference.

My question is would the L2D and L2T v.2 blow away the Streamlight?

I have the L2T V.2 Rebel 80 and it is significantly brighter than the Streamlight 4AA luxeon. I just tested both with my Lux meter doing a ceiling bounce test to determine approximate overall output. The Streamlight tested a 3.9, while the L2T V.2 tested a 10.2 on high. So figure it is around 2.5 times as bright overall which would put it right around 100 lumens, which is the same output that Chevrofreak got during his testing.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
If you don't mind less quality(average to above average at most Fenix quality), there are many Dealextreme lights that will cost less then the L2D and still throw further(bigger reflector). Best example is the 3W Cree projection and the WF-600, both are over 10000 Lux at 1 meter(the WF-600 is around 16000 lux, comparison).

The Ultrafire C2, WF-400(18650 version), both have more throw then the Streamlight and are also skinner then the WF-600 and 3W Cree Projection.

All of the above lights cost less then $45 when ordered with 2 18650 batteries and a cheaper charger.

The L2D and L2T V2.0 will blow away the Steamlight lumen wise but not throw wise.

Latest posts