SureFire Titan -- The Light to Replace All My Lights

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
One of the things I miss the most about not being "glued" to CPF like I was a few years ago is the new product offerings coming from individuals and professional manufacturers. I've just learned of the SureFire Titan. Based on the specs and descriptions, all I can say is what a great freakin' light. Oh my God. Talk about a great user interface. This has to be the best general/all purpose light to ever be released. To be able to get to a brightness level whenever you want by continuing to twist is just awesome. What I really like is that SF made it in a CR2 format, rather than the larger CR123's.

I really believe this light will replace 98% of what I consider my general-purpose/day-to-day lights. I haven't been this excited over a light is a very long time. I can't believe what SF has been able to do with this interface. Up until now, we've had single off/on, then we graduated to either twist or click 2/3/4/etc level light. Those lights require either clicking your butt off or twisting back and forth to get the desired brightness level. Even then, you're limited to presets, whether it's several or slightly more than twenty. With the Titan, presets are a thing of the past. You have the range of very low to very high AND anything and everything you could ever want in between.

I'm stoked and can't wait for mine to arrive.

Last edited:

bray

Newly Enlightened
i hear ya, i know theres going to be a big farewell party at my house when mine arrives, having to say goodbye to all the cr123s and smaller and send them off to the closet till they decide to grow up and adopt the titans interface

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I don't have the money but IF I did, I would have bough a Gatlight instead of the Titan. It looks better IMO and also has a variable output, is cheaper, and has a clickie. But the Titan is smaller.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I don't have the money but IF I did, I would have bough a Gatlight instead of the Titan. It looks better IMO and also has a variable output, is cheaper, and has a clickie. But the Titan is smaller.

With all due respect to your opinion and the manufacturer, that has to be the ugliest thing I've ever seen, let alone it being a light. That's OK though. That's why that make chocolate and vanilla, right?

bray

Newly Enlightened
to me, 65 lumens is quite enough for almost everything. really how often do you need more than that, besides from when your spotting ufos in your cornfield

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remember, general-purpose. For me, that means fixing something in a low-lit area. I'm not expecting nor wanting this light to cast a beam 1/4 mile away.
+1

65 lumens (real torch lumens, unlike Chinese manufacturer's inflated specs) might even be too much for a pocket-sized general purpose light.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought a Gatlight. They're very nice. I don't mind the odd appearance of it. It fits my hand well, and I prefer CR123s (RCR123's actually) to CR2s. In addition the customer service from Walter and Kyle has been wonderful.
I would like to do a side to side comparison with a Gatlight Vs a Titan. Obviously the Gatlight will be brighter, but there's more to compare than brightness and price.

Chucula

Newly Enlightened
I was really excited about the Titan until I saw the price. $400 cheaper and I'd be all over it ;)

Gatlight is neato but has a different type of beauty, so it is not really a good comparison in that sense.

Enlightened
The Titan looks GREAT.. a fantastic user interface indeed. IMO, if gatlight were to produce a slightly slimmer body tube instead of the "bars" all over the light, they would definitly have a great edc, and my preference over the titan. Wasnt surefire going to release a cheaper aluminum version of the titan?

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
With all due respect to your opinion and the manufacturer, that has to be the ugliest thing I've ever seen, let alone it being a light.
I like it. It has a sort of scifi-steampunk look to it. Sorta looks like a gatling gun.
Too bad all the metal things are aesthetically appealing but functionally useless and increase the size of the light enough to make it impractical.

As for the titan, my thoughts on discovering its existance went approximately like this:
"Small? That's good. Decently bright? Good too. Tough? Even better. Variable output? Icing on the cake. Costs... WHAT?! They've gotta be kidding!"

I would never buy it even if I were rich. $500 for a flashlight that doesn't outshine a military searchlight is not money well spent in my opinion.

Diode

Newly Enlightened
Remember, general-purpose. For me, that means fixing something in a low-lit area. I'm not expecting nor wanting this light to cast a beam 1/4 mile away.
Since the brightness is continuously adjustable, why wouldn't you want it as bright as possible?

Diode

Newly Enlightened
65 lumens (real torch lumens, unlike Chinese manufacturer's inflated specs) might even be too much for a pocket-sized general purpose light.
If you're talking about the Fenixes, all the CR123 and 2AA models are far brighter than 65 lumens. Yes, real torch lumens.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
now I'm twirtling my thumbs until Surefire gradually let the interface trickle down to their other lights. an infinitely adjustable L4 sounds fantastic right now....

If I had the money I would have gotten one but then again not a huge fan of CR2 batteries.

Schuey2002

Enlightened
Yep. An infinitely adjustable SureFire (like the Titan), that was a little shorter than the new L1 Cree, with a high beam of around 80 lumens or so, and was priced under $150, would be the perfect light for 95% of my needs... :grin2:

bfg9000

Flashlight Enthusiast
now I'm twirtling my thumbs until Surefire gradually let the interface trickle down to their other lights. an infinitely adjustable L4 sounds fantastic right now....

If I had the money I would have gotten one but then again not a huge fan of CR2 batteries.
Yes, the eventual replacement for the U2 should have this kind of UI, a modern emitter, and a much lower price tag than Titan or Gatlight.

The interface is already trickling down to other manufacturers, plus with HAIII and forward clickie.

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the interface idea alot but its just too expensive. If they do it in HA for $150-200 great but its not likely so my ML1's fill the bill nicely.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup.. Titan tech in a more affordable, everyday formfactor.

The Titan is the next in line to use this power selector collar after the U2 and subsequently the Kroma. I'm very interested in what comes after the Titan... hopefully not with the Titan-ic pricetag :D

Even if I would buy the Titan, I'd never dare EDC it and let the keys chew it up. It's way too nice for that.